KML? | The Boneyard

KML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am wondering what is going on with Seattle and KML. They drafted her high, but she is getting very, very few minutes. It looks like she has taken 16-18 shot attempts the entire season! (Odd stats on the espn site - lists 16 fga but 18 3 pt atts)

It doesn't seem like she is going to learn how to play in the WNBA by not playing. And the Storm had enough big losses to get her in there more, IMO. Is the coach not a fan, and are they looking at maybe trading her?

Reaction Score
You probably haven't paid much attention to the pro game if you're making definitive conclusions on half a rookie season. But the jump from college to pro is way, WAY bigger than the jump from high school to college. Some players take more time to adjust to the speed and athleticism than others.

The biggest knock on KML right now is that she has trouble guarding wings - an issue she had in college, too - and she doesn't have the height to play PF at that level. She'll need to have a very productive offseason to rectify this weakness.

HGN

Reaction Score
I don't think I made a definitive conclusion. I was wondering why KML wasn't getting more playing time to MAKE that big jump.
OldAlum, the simple answer....MATCHUPS. KML does indeed have trouble guarding wings in space ; or shooting guards with a handle. And she doesn't have the size to play the 4-spot. So it boils down to Matchups. She will play when she is not a liability on the defensive end. She can still shoot it . But at the WNBA level she will be giving up too much to whoever she is guarding right now. She will get better though. As long as she is capable of putting the ball thru the net with consistency , they will work with her to find a role. Look at the Danielle Adams' and Courtney Paris's . It took them a year+ to adjust and carve out a niche with some of the same type problems as KML......JMHO

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OldAlum, the simple answer....MATCHUPS. KML does indeed have trouble guarding wings in space ; or shooting guards with a handle. And she doesn't have the size to play the 4-spot. So it boils down to Matchups. She will play when she is not a liability on the defensive end. She can still shoot it . But at the WNBA level she will be giving up too much to whoever she is guarding right now. She will get better though. As long as she is capable of putting the ball thru the net with consistency , they will work with her to find a role. Look at the Danielle Adams' and Courtney Paris's . It took them a year+ to adjust and carve out a niche with some of the same type problems as KML.JMHO
It also took the right team and coaching - I tend to wonder as well about the fit in Seattle - they are a team in serious transition and not very competitive at the moment.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
OldAlum, the simple answer....MATCHUPS. KML does indeed have trouble guarding wings in space ; or shooting guards with a handle. And she doesn't have the size to play the 4-spot. So it boils down to Matchups. She will play when she is not a liability on the defensive end. She can still shoot it . But at the WNBA level she will be giving up too much to whoever she is guarding right now. She will get better though. As long as she is capable of putting the ball thru the net with consistency , they will work with her to find a role. Look at the Danielle Adams' and Courtney Paris's . It took them a year+ to adjust and carve out a niche with some of the same type problems as KML.JMHO

Paris is a 6'4 Center..... cant really compare the two. Adams is a PF

HGN

Reaction Score
Paris is a 6'4 Center..... cant really compare the two. Adams is a PF
Triad, the point I was trying to make is that players many times have difficulties making the jump from college to the WNBA. Either from lack of skills or skills not ideally suited for their position in the pros. But each eventually adjusted and found roles on their team. And I think KML will do the same thing and find a role on the Storm.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She needs to drop weight if she wants to play on the perimeter at this level. There was a lot of "that's just her body type" talk last season and that's not an acceptable answer. I suspect that she will see how pros take care of their bodies and hopefully will learn to emulate those efforts. She is probably the best female shooter I've ever seen so I hope she transforms her body so that we can continue to watch her shoot the lights out.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She needs to drop weight if she wants to play on the perimeter at this level. There was a lot of "that's just her body type" talk last season and that's not an acceptable answer. I suspect that she will see how pros take care of their bodies and hopefully will learn to emulate those efforts. She is probably the best female shooter I've ever seen so I hope she transforms her body so that we can continue to watch her shoot the lights out.
Bingo. This was a verboten topic during the season, but if you look at some of the pro hoops players who have transformed their bodies and fitness (Dee comes immediately to mind), it's clear that KML needs to have a transformation like that.

Some can point to players like Paris, Adams, and a few others who are "fluffy" and not in tip top shape, but Adams is 2" taller than KML and Paris is 5" taller. Those 2 have a different game. Schimmel is another player who went from averaging over 8 PPG in 23 MPG to 5 PPG this year in 15 MPG. If she doesn't take fitness seriously, younger, stronger, and more athletic guards will come along behind her and eventually push her out of the way.

Reaction Score
I've never met her, but for some time I've had this idea that KML was a pretty headstrong person, at least with regard to her body. Nobody doubts how hard she's worked on honing her skills, but I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't put a great priority on maximizing her physical condition. (if that's true then she's a contrast to Dolson, who really worked hard at that) She'll have been aware that people thought she should lose weight, but wouldn't have let the sentiment bother her too much. She's never needed to, after all. Her talent made her a star on the best college team.

Other people thought that it was all about her body type - that perhaps she couldn't lose the weight.

By now, though, I think she knows that she'll need some more agility to compete as a professional at the highest levels of competition. So we will find out who is right. With all respect to those who thought that she can't lose the weight, I hope that my viewpoint proves to be the correct one. :)

Reaction Score
Triad, the point I was trying to make is that players many times have difficulties making the jump from college to the WNBA. Either from lack of skills or skills not ideally suited for their position in the pros. But each eventually adjusted and found roles on their team. And I think KML will do the same thing and find a role on the Storm.
She seemed to be happy Saturday night and got a few minutes in. I think the coach is just more comfortable playing O'Hea ahead of her for now.

IMO- her weight is not an issue.

Reaction Score
Bingo. This was a verboten topic during the season, but if you look at some of the pro hoops players who have transformed their bodies and fitness (Dee comes immediately to mind), it's clear that KML needs to have a transformation like that.

Some can point to players like Paris, Adams, and a few others who are "fluffy" and not in tip top shape, but Adams is 2" taller than KML and Paris is 5" taller. Those 2 have a different game. Schimmel is another player who went from averaging over 8 PPG in 23 MPG to 5 PPG this year in 15 MPG. If she doesn't take fitness seriously, younger, stronger, and more athletic guards will come along behind her and eventually push her out of the way.

Shoni's a different story. She needs to slim down and get quicker/stronger to be able to defend the guards she has to play against night in and night out.

I think she is realizing that now (at least I hope so for her sake).

A little heft might not be all bad for Kaleena to stand her ground against the players she goes against.

Reaction Score
She seemed to be happy Saturday night and got a few minutes in. I think the coach is just more comfortable playing O'Hea ahead of her for now.

IMO- her weight is not an issue.

It IS an issue if she wants to play pro ball at a high level.

Reaction Score
I know she was always an odd fit for the WNBA with her set of size, shooting skill, and body type. I wondered if the team drafted her even though the coach didn't see her use? I hope some team can find a way to use her as UConn did. I suspect that even if she lost a good bit of weight, she is never going to be "quick" and is always going to face quicker players.

Ironic that at UConn, KML played because of her offense and in spite of her slowness on defense while Kiah came off the bench and was valued for her defense and in spite of her lack of offense. At the start of their WNBA careers, it is just the opposite!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've never met her, but for some time I've had this idea that KML was a pretty headstrong person, at least with regard to her body. Nobody doubts how hard she's worked on honing her skills, but I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't put a great priority on maximizing her physical condition. (if that's true then she's a contrast to Dolson, who really worked hard at that) She'll have been aware that people thought she should lose weight, but wouldn't have let the sentiment bother her too much. She's never needed to, after all. Her talent made her a star on the best college team.

Other people thought that it was all about her body type - that perhaps she couldn't lose the weight.

By now, though, I think she knows that she'll need some more agility to compete as a professional at the highest levels of competition. So we will find out who is right. With all respect to those who thought that she can't lose the weight, I hope that my viewpoint proves to be the correct one. :)
I think your view point will prove to be the correct one. Let's face it. At UCONN KML achieved AA status and the team won 3 consecutive Championships. How do you motivate someone who is that successful-very hard right? Fast forward to today and she is struggling to get off the bench and her paycheck is literally depending on it. If she is not motivated by that she will never be and UCONN will be the peak of her success. That would be unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom