KML talks to Rebecca about her body type/perceptions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KML talks to Rebecca about her body type/perceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Whenever I read a 'provocative' post my first reaction is to consider the source. In my view there is an earned credibility that comes with long-time posters who traditionally have made insightful comments (good and/or bad) about players and game strategy. I'm talking about posters like OldeCoach (RIP), UconnCat, Icebear, Phil, Alex, VT, Eric, and yes, even Doggydaddy, etc. (I'm sure I've left a ton of people out but you hopefully get my point.)

Reading a critical post by a newbie just raises my defenses because I don't have enough experience with the person to understand what their agenda is (if any). I have no problem with someone posting an opinion supported by facts but when they seem to be just shooting from the hip my hackles go up.

I don't subscribe to the approach that everyone posting here loves UConn wbb and, therefore, they mean well. Let's face it.... Some people are just sh#t stirrers.

Just my .02.

I'd pay for that post. Thank you. great post

Reaction Score
So I questioned KML's footspeed and therefore I am ignorant? Since Geno said she has lost a step so I guess I'm in good company. BTW, Nan suggested we offer differing opinions without personal attacks. The BY should set the example for all blogs with respect to honest discourse without calling dissenters names. Let's set the example!
If you felt that I was calling you out, you might want to ask yourself why? There were a number of people who posted negative and hurtful things about her shape, size, weight, etc. Some even went as far as saying that she was the reason we lost to Stanford. As for your comment on her footspeed, and whatever Geno said... I would rather have her out on the floor than any other player.... and it looks like Geno agrees as she is averaging the most minutes of any player. Also if Geno was concerned with her foot speed as you were against Stanford why did he let her play all 45 minutes?

I am exhausted of people trashing her because of her size. I am also tired of people who think Stewart is the only player we have.

To call her out in the manner that so many posters did was pure ignorance. How does the old saying go.... "You can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end it is still a pig". People here were trashing KML, Geno made a comment about her speed (in light of her being ill if I am not mistaken) and that therefore is justification for making comments about how she let UCONN down and it was because of her that Stanford beat us.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
There is a small (thankfully) group of posters who seem to feel that it is their responsibility to make sure that the rest of us don't have to suffer the pain that we would feel if we were to suddenly realize that Kiah is having some problems finishing, Saniya is having some problems defensively and that it is possible for Kaleena to have a bad game. The idea seems to be that because we do not constantly harp on these things we are unaware of them and need to be innoculated, as it were, against a possible sudden shock. In order to accomplish this mission of kindness, they feel it necessary to make post after post to this purpose. I suspect that it gives them an increased sense of their own worth to take the time and trouble to try to disabuse us of our rose-colored illusions. They are aware that most of us find it irritating, but, since it is for our own good, feel obliged to continue in spite of that. Best idea is probably to just not read their posts, since we pretty much know what they are going to say. Arguing with them simply reinforces their conviction that we are misled pollyannas and encourages them to continue their efforts. And they enjoy it, as with the porcine mud-wrestling.

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of Kaleena and have been for 6 years or so.

She played very well late last season, including the 6 NCAA tourney games. Her best play over an extended stretch was her sophomore year. I saw all 6 of the tourney games and thought she looked like Maya from a distance.

KML should have been the MVP last year. She was unbelievable. Played great Defense, made baskets when needed, rebounded. assisted. She was amazing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Problem is, there are people deciding those who post "provocatively", which I take as meaning have an opinion that's unpopular, and deciding that they are troublemakers. These self-appointed judges are rude and insulting to those posters and somehow manage to feel righteous about it because the "provocateurs" don't meet the judges' posting standards, whatever they may be. Not enough facts, too negative, too critical...all these criteria seem to be enough to justify being rude to other Boneyarders and then complaining about the alleged provokers ad nauseum. It's all very intimidating to new posters or lurkers who haven'tyet worked up the nerve to post.

Reaction Score
If you felt that I was calling you out, you might want to ask yourself why? There were a number of people who posted negative and hurtful things about her shape, size, weight, etc. Some even went as far as saying that she was the reason we lost to Stanford. As for your comment on her footspeed, and whatever Geno said... I would rather have her out on the floor than any other player.... and it looks like Geno agrees as she is averaging the most minutes of any player. Also if Geno was concerned with her foot speed as you were against Stanford why did he let her play all 45 minutes?

I am exhausted of people trashing her because of her size. I am also tired of people who think Stewart is the only player we have.

To call her out in the manner that so many posters did was pure ignorance. How does the old saying go.... "You can put lipstick on a pig, but in the end it is still a pig". People here were trashing KML, Geno made a comment about her speed (in light of her being ill if I am not mistaken) and that therefore is justification for making comments about how she let UCONN down and it was because of her that Stanford beat us.

I can't read your mind but I can read your words and you said people who commented on KML being a step slow were ignorant. Hardly a friendly way to disagree with my observation.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Problem is, there are people deciding those who post "provocatively", which I take as meaning have an opinion that's unpopular, and deciding that they are troublemakers. These self-appointed judges are rude and insulting to those posters and somehow manage to feel righteous about it because the "provocateurs" don't meet the judges' posting standards, whatever they may be. Not enough facts, too negative, too critical...all these criteria seem to be enough to justify being rude to other Boneyarders and then complaining about the alleged provokers ad nauseum. It's all very intimidating to new posters or lurkers who haven'tyet worked up the nerve to post.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Problem is, there are people deciding those who post "provocatively", which I take as meaning have an opinion that's unpopular...
Sorry Nan, but your definition of provocative is different from mine.

Full Definition of PROVOCATIVE
: serving or tending to provoke, excite, or stimulate <a provocative question>
provocative noun
pro·voc·a·tive·ly adverb
pro·voc·a·tive·ness noun

Reaction Score
I can't read your mind but I can read your words and you said people who commented on KML being a step slow were ignorant. Hardly a friendly way to disagree with my observation.

Pardon me please, but I do believe you may have misunderstood Neaggrad's post. I interpreted it as being two parts.
1) "There were a number of people who posted negative and hurtful things about her shape, size, weight, etc. Some even went as far as saying that she was the reason we lost to Stanford." "To call her out in the manner that so many posters did was pure ignorance."

2) The part pertaining to you was really a question you did not address your reply. "As for your comment on her footspeed, and whatever Geno said... I would rather have her out on the floor than any other player.... and it looks like Geno agrees as she is averaging the most minutes of any player. Also if Geno was concerned with her foot speed as you were against Stanford why did he let her play all 45 minutes? "

Please do not interpret my reply as a personal attack. It is only my opinion of what was posted and is not based on any facts whatsoever.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
pap49cba said:
Sorry Nan, but your definition of provocative is different from mine. Full Definition of PROVOCATIVE : serving or tending to provoke, excite, or stimulate <a provocative question> — provocative noun — pro·voc·a·tive·ly adverb — pro·voc·a·tive·ness noun

Which is why she put the words in quotes, and then expanded on it. But, nice of you to go ahead and pull in a dictionary definition, I guess.

Her post should be a sticky, not just buried in a thread.

Reaction Score
read your post again

Reaction Score
Of the things I have grown to dislike about posting here, the dissension among posters is not one of them. That has been a part of message boards since the beginning of the internet. People are not going to see eye to eye, they are going to perceive tone in a written post that may not be intended and that leads to other posters having a knee jerk reaction to respond harshly. Comments will be misinterpreted or misconstrued. Yes, they will be rude and insulting on occasion. I can live with that, that is the way life is and is part of being human.

We are not all going to get along...not possible. And no matter how hard you try to force people to do so, it isn't going to happen. In fact, if anything I think trying to force that creates even more animosity and rebellion.

Some people have established a history and animosity between themselves and other posters. That is going to happen over time with as much passion as we have toward our Huskies and based on personality types. It gets personal over time. That is a dynamic that will never change and I think it is abundantly clear where this is the case in the interactions between certain posters.

Even at its worst, the women's board is tame compared to the men's and football board. I think we can ALL agree on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We are not all going to get along...not possible. And no matter how hard you try to force people to do so, it isn't going to happen. In fact, if anything I think trying to force that creates even more animosity and rebellion.

Some people have established a history and animosity between themselves and other posters. That is going to happen over time with as much passion as we have toward our Huskies and based on personality types. Yes, this is true even with the mods who at the core are also posters on the board. It gets personal over time. That is a dynamic that will never change and I think it is abundantly clear where this is the case in the interactions between certain posters.
No one said that everyone has to get along. What I have said - about a billion times - is that people here need to be civil to one another, the same simple courtesy you would extend to a coworker you don't care for or your cousin's obnoxious husband.

I am always amazed at the excuses people come up with for treating others with discourtesy and disrespect.

Reaction Score
No one said that everyone has to get along. What I have said - about a billion times - is that people here need to be civil to one another, the same simple courtesy you would extend to a coworker you don't care for or your cousin's obnoxious husband.

I am always amazed at the excuses people come up with for treating others with discourtesy and disrespect.
like saying one of our players is too heavy ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
like saying one of our players is too heavy ?
Phil, I understand that you don't agree that KML is too heavy and you feel that saying so is disrespectful to her. Does your feeling that way give you the right to attack the person that said it? I'm sure you see that it doesn't. After all, why would a person return what they see as a discourtesy with another one?

I think people should make use of the Ignore button for posters they don't like. It might help some people from having to read posts they consider upsetting.

Reaction Score
So you can make statements that put down a player. And that is perfectly okay, but I say that individuals are ignorant because they do not know all the facts and I am the one who is wrong. Okay You keep on thinking your way, and I will think my way. I defend the players, I do not go out and bash them, which pointing out that they are " a step slow" is not a positive, therefore it is a negative, and was spoken without knowing the facts. Like KML was ill.... but whatever. They say ignorance is bliss.

Reaction Score
Pardon me please, but I do believe you may have misunderstood Neaggrad's post. I interpreted it as being two parts.
1) "There were a number of people who posted negative and hurtful things about her shape, size, weight, etc. Some even went as far as saying that she was the reason we lost to Stanford." "To call her out in the manner that so many posters did was pure ignorance."

2) The part pertaining to you was really a question you did not address your reply. "As for your comment on her footspeed, and whatever Geno said... I would rather have her out on the floor than any other player.... and it looks like Geno agrees as she is averaging the most minutes of any player. Also if Geno was concerned with her foot speed as you were against Stanford why did he let her play all 45 minutes? "

Please do not interpret my reply as a personal attack. It is only my opinion of what was posted and is not based on any facts whatsoever.
You said it perfectly PalPa

Reaction Score
Geno commented that it looked like KML had lost a step, as some of us noted after seeing her in the Stanford game against good defenders. Was Geno's observation based solely on the Stanford game, 3 days before she missed a practice with "...a touch of the flu"? Or was his observation based on what he sees every day? FWIW, I never mentioned her weight, only her apparent change in speed. I don't think her good performances against un-ranked teams since the Stanford game offers evidence of her speed/quickness compared to previously.

In other news, an athlete can increase or decrease their speed/quickness with no change in bodyweight. For example, if her training is aimed at improving her endurance-to withstand playing more minutes than before (without noticeable fatigue), her speed/quickness could well decline.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
So ANYWAY - about Kaleena.....tonight is in the books and we had another good game from her. Shooting 4-6 from three, she scored 16 points on a night where all starters were in double figures. Rebounds were also pretty evenly distributed between the starters, and Kaleena added an assist and 3 steals to her tally. She saw plenty of action that won't make it into the box score, but clearly she is back in form - I will add that Kiah Stokes was awesome off the bench, finishing well under the basket for 8 points and adding 7 rebounds, a steal and an assist and 7 blocked shots depending upon with whom you are speaking...some say it's 8 so....

Based upon the evidence above, my opinion is that they deserve a "well done ladies, I am looking forward to your next game tomorrow night"

egads

Seriously, they did a great job. it was fun watching this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom