KML Question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KML Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Comparing her to Curry is foolish. She's a great shooter when open but ONLY when open. She couldn't create shots against weak teams in college. Pros will rarely leave her open. Curry on the other hand creates his own shot 90% of the time.

I'd compare her to Tricia Liston with a quicker release.

Reaction Score
I love this girl. But why can't KML get on the scoreboard? Not enough minutes? Is she hurt? Just asking.....Because I have no clue why such a talented offensive weapon ISN'T contributing.
One thing that bothered me a lot during her time at Uconn...As I said to myself a hundred times. (Is why won't she take the opportunity to shed pounds before heading off to the WNBA)

Couldn't understand it for nothing in the world. Especially when one knows (Including Herself) she has a problem keeping players in front of her etc.

Nevertheless, I hope & pray she figures it out. I really want to See her progress and succeed in the WNBA.
It's a cool world we live in.:confused: Start a post claiming you have no clue and within hours one can answer their own question. :D No malice here vocal just what it is...:)

Reaction Score
Ehhhhhh..... not sure about that one.

You do not feel, as I certainly do, that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is the best shooter in the history of WCBB? The only players on the men's side who might have been better shooters in college than Curry are Glen Rice and JJ Reddick.

Reaction Score
The skills Stephen Curry has displayed in the NBA totally eluded me while he played at Davidson; Ballhandling, passing, creating. And I certainly did not forsee an MVP caliber ballplayer. His play is truly a revelation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You do not feel, as I certainly do, that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis is the best shooter in the history of WCBB? The only players on the men's side who might have been better shooters in college than Curry are Glen Rice and JJ Reddick.

Can I plead the 5th on that one ? :rolleyes:

5th.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The skills Stephen Curry has displayed in the NBA totally eluded me while he played at Davidson; Ballhandling, passing, creating. And I certainly did not forsee an MVP caliber ballplayer. His play is truly a revelation.

I'd be lying if i told you I thought he'd be as good of a pro as he has become. That being said... his last season at Davidson.... he moved over to PG and you could see his play making abilities alot more than you could during his breakout sophomore season (Elite 8 run).

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One last thought on KML. Being "heavy" is not a problem if you can handle it. An observation from afar. 2 cases in point as other posters have already eluded to:

1. Danielle Adams (San Antonio) is much heavier than KML. It appears that she is heavier now than when she was at Texas A&M.

Her coach doesn't have a problem giving her minutes. Danielle obviously is not fleet of foot, but she keeps up with the flow of the game. She not going to lead a fast break, but they don't ask or expect her to do that. The first time I saw Danielle when she was a junior at A&M, she was a plus size. She has a role with the Stars, and she plays it to their satisfaction.

2. The same can be said of Courtney Paris (Tulsa). Courtney is also larger now than when she starred at Oklahoma. Courtney is much larger than KML, and she starts for Tulsa. I think fact that speaks for it's self. In a foot race on a regulation basketball court from baseline to baseline between these 3 ladies, I'd put my money on KML. So what are we talking about? I think the problem here is "perception", pure and simple.

IF KML was on another team, i.e. San Antonio or Tulsa, or somewhere else, her weight would probably not be an issue at all. I'm sure those coaches would like to see these two ladies shed a few, but right now, their weight is not a deal breaker. So let's see what the future holds for our girl. We know for sure what ever she weighs, it doesn't effect her shot one bit. She hasn't gained any weight since leaving UConn. I know she didn't expect this kind of treatment from the Sonics on draft day, no one did.

How ironic. KML is a starter for UConn, scored lots of points during her career. Now she can't get off the bench in the WNBA.
Kiah Stokes played sparingly at UConn, resided in Geno's dog house the majority of the time. Averaged about 4.5 ppg. Now she averages 23 minutes a game for the Liberty, and is becoming more and more comfortable with each passing game. Tell me you saw that one coming.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One last thought on KML. Being "heavy" is not a problem if you can handle it. An observation from afar. 2 cases in point as other posters have already eluded to:

1. Danielle Adams (San Antonio) is much heavier than KML. It appears that she is heavier now than when she was at Texas A&M.

Her coach doesn't have a problem giving her minutes. Danielle obviously is not fleet of foot, but she keeps up with the flow of the game. She not going to lead a fast break, but they don't ask or expect her to do that. The first time I saw Danielle when she was a junior at A&M, she was a plus size. She has a role with the Stars, and she plays it to their satisfaction.

2. The same can be said of Courtney Paris (Tulsa). Courtney is also larger now than when she starred at Oklahoma. Courtney is much larger than KML, and she starts for Tulsa. I think fact that speaks for it's self. In a foot race on a regulation basketball court from baseline to baseline between these 3 ladies, I'd put my money on KML. So what are we talking about? I think the problem here is "perception", pure and simple.

IF KML was on another team, i.e. San Antonio or Tulsa, or somewhere else, her weight would probably not be an issue at all. I'm sure those coaches would like to see these two ladies shed a few, but right now, their weight is not a deal breaker. So let's see what the future holds for our girl. We know for sure what ever she weighs, it doesn't effect her shot one bit. She hasn't gained any weight since leaving UConn. I know she didn't expect this kind of treatment from the Sonics on draft day, no one did.
g.

Paris is a C... and I assume Adams is a PF. That makes a bit of a difference.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
KML also gets her shot blocked every game

Reaction Score
KML right now is stuck between the differences in the college game versus the pro game. College has players some of whom play at a high level. The pros have great athletes almost all of whom play at a very high level.

In the college game your team can run screens and get you an open shot, if not a wide open shot. In the pros they run screens to create mismatches. In the pros you cannot consistently rely on screens to get an open shot. Therefore a catch-and-shoot player like KML needs to add a dribble drive or a two bounce move (against quicker players) after getting the ball to get the kind of shot she needs. Quickness becomes essential for the guards and "3s" in the pro game.

In the college game KML would get 4 to 8 or 10 wide open looks a game (because of screens, failure of the defense to find her on fast breaks, etc.). In the pros that does not happen as much. They close out on an open shooter too fast. Pros will not "forget" to pick her up as happened regularly in college. In college only a few teams had a defensive player smart and quick enough to stay with her through screens, on the break and as UConn ran its offense. In the pros virtually every team will have a player capable to taking away her wide open looks.

In the pros, right now, almost every "3" that she plays against will be quicker and stronger than the best defender she faced in college. Just as in college the biggest leap is between your first and second years so it is for many in the pros. KML will have to reassess her game. Getting quicker and stronger will be at the top of the list. She will need to develop a consistent dribble drive and a two bounce move. Maya, Diana and others needed to transform their eating habits and bodies in the pros to be the best player they could be and they both were superior athletes to KML in their college days. KML will have to do the same. It will be a process and we will learn how much she really wants it after this season.

Reaction Score
Excellent post Judge. Just what I was going to say. KML kind of got spoiled in a way at UConn. They only played what, maybe 5 quality teams a year? Now she's going to have to learn to grind or sit for a long time.

Reaction Score
As stated above the Head Coach relating to young players has so much to do if a "star" in college gets off on a good note in her rookie season!
Jenny Boucek was a HC before but she doesn't seem to have a plan or to experiment in her 2nd try! Both Loyd and KML are not thriving under JB!
It amazes me how so many people knock KML body type/conditioning, when UCONN has one of the strongest conditioning programs in the country! Do you really think Geno and staff would had KML have so much playing time if she was SO LAZY and out of shape? Stef Dolson was in fantastic shape her last 2 years, same trainer/conditioning program!
Geno said when Kelly Faris graduated that the team that drafts her will be so important for Kelly! If a team like PHX for example drafts her she'll be great doing her thing! Anne Donovan has NO CLUE what Kelly Faris' strong and weak points are, so Kelly sits! I think KML is in the same boat!
Quigley with Chicago was horrible early in her career and now with Pokie Chapman is a really good player! Leilani Mitchell struggled early but had a couple good years in NY and is now starting for LA!
Asjha Jones, Tina Charles, Kara Lawson LOVED playing for Mike Thibault at the CT Sun so much that they revolted under AD and are all gone!

Reaction Score
2 points for Jewel...Zero across the board for KML again. But WTH can one do in two minutes? SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom