Kirk Ferentz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kirk Ferentz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So you think we should commit to a strategy that requires overwhelmingly physically superior athletes to be effective?

That right there helps to explain why the run, run, run, offense isn 't working for UConn. Problem is the passing game may have even less of those physically superior athletes. They've been recruited at other schools.

Reaction Score
I've been saying this for a while, but the rules have changed to favor the wide open game. . . .The notion that you need to be a power running team in the northeast is out dated at best.

Like you I have been saying this for a long time. UConn's problems will continue year after year until they grasp this concept and develop the wide open passing game. Simple unfortunately flies in the face of nostalgia.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Like you I have been saying this for a long time. UConn's problems will continue year after year until they grasp this concept and develop the wide open passing game. Simple unfortunately flies in the face of nostalgia.

Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly and Rodriguez all have tremendous rushing attacks, but they are not stupid enough to throw 165 pound backs into a pile of oxen and hope he breaks free. Rather than get upset that McCombs doesn't break tackles, why don't we stop running him into tackles?

The spread is a better offense for both rushing and passing. It just wins.

Reaction Score

I can't say it wins, one team has to lose, but what we can agree on is that this style of offense has a higher probability of putting points on the board. With our defense and 6-10 more points per game we are 5-0/4-1 and possibly ranked.

Reaction Score
Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly and Rodriguez all have tremendous rushing attacks, but they are not stupid enough to throw 165 pound backs into a pile of oxen and hope he breaks free. Rather than get upset that McCombs doesn't break tackles, why don't we stop running him into tackles?

Never said effective rushing isn't a big part of a good offense. But it starts with an effective passing game. Make the defense responsible for defending the entire field on every play - not just stack 9 in the box on first down.

Reaction Score
I think it is possible he becomes a head coach in the NFL, yes. And I think there is a much better chance of him joining an NFL team for a year or two while he waits for a desirable college head coaching position. Kirk Ferenz is well respected in the coaching world, bothNFL and NCAA. He will be in demand.

Sorry, but this is just nuts. Spackler has an equal chance of landing an NFL coaching gig.

FWIW, I don't think Ferentz would be a bad hire here at all. It's not a bad thought.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but this is just nuts. Spackler has an equal chance of landing an NFL coaching gig.

FWIW, I don't think Ferentz would be a bad hire here at all. It's not a bad thought.

I think Ferentz would be a solid hire. Just think he would have zero interest.

Reaction Score
I can't say it wins, one team has to lose, but what we can agree on is that this style of offense has a higher probability of putting points on the board. With our defense and 6-10 more points per game we are 5-0/4-1 and possibly ranked.

It also exposes the qb. If you don't have a qb who can make quick decisions, and wr who know how to adjust their patterns to what a defense gives them, you are in big trouble.

U

UConn9604

Wasn't this fan base crucifying the PP hire because he was an older guy? Ferentz is about the same age, if not older. He hasn't been back to CT other than to recruit a handful of kids since his playing days were over in the mid-70's. Why does anyone think a) he has any interest whatsoever or b) he would be a good hire?

Pasqualoni was born in August 1949, Ferentz in August 1955. By comparison, Randy was born in August 1958. (What is it with August, anyway?)

I still don't think he'd be all that interested, and I'm also not sure he's even on the market. He won 11 games and the Orange Bowl three seasons ago. But for his abnormally high salary (at one point he was the highest-paid coach in the Big Ten), I don't know if there's a reason for Iowa to can him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom