Kinda OT: How Good Is Navy? | The Boneyard

Kinda OT: How Good Is Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They really look like trouble with good athletes and an offense that can produce plays on the ground and in the air. I realize we've put them in the rear-view mirror but if they were to get by ND this week they have a great chance to run the table. The same applies to Temple in the East (Navy is in the West?) with ND as their toughest obstacle left as well. I realize ND will score some points but Navy seems to be a more mature and efficient offense while ND relies on skill players to break big plays.

Memphis seems to give up a lot on defense (#99 nat), is a little undisciplined and has a tougher road with Ole Miss coming up and both Navy and Temple on the schedule. I don't anticipate them running the table and they could go down to a number of teams imo. I'm not totally sold on Temple either but their schedule is favorable until they meet up with UConn one win away from a bowl game.

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If Navy runs the table (which is definitely possible) they will get in the playoff IMHO.

The Army-Navy game will be huge and Navy will win by 52 points.

Of course, they have to stay healthy

sdhusky

Reaction Score
I think offensively Navy is really, really, really good. On Saturday we will see if their defense can slow Notre Dame down just enough to give their offense a chance to win.

They way Navy's offensive keeps drives going, any ND offensive mistake - penalty, drop pass, bad snap - is going to be a bigger deal than normal. You punt to Navy and 14 plays & 7 points happen before your next touch.

Reaction Score
If Navy runs the table (which is definitely possible) they will get in the playoff IMHO.

The Army-Navy game will be huge and Navy will win by 52 points.

Of course, they have to stay healthy

Agreed. For a team like Navy staying healthy is key. Army is a case in point after Bradshaw went down. Had he been healthy they win last weekend against Penn St instead of losing by 6. The offenses thrive on timing and a healthy athletic QB.

Reaction Score
They way Navy's offensive keeps drives going, any ND offensive mistake - penalty, drop pass, bad snap - is going to be a bigger deal than normal. You punt to Navy and 14 plays & 7 points happen before your next touch.
.... and it happens as they grind 6 minutes off the clock with each drive. If the ND defense has to stay on the field and can't get the ball back, how many times is the ND offense given the opportunity to score.

Would like to see them run the table and make every P5 conference and p5 commissioner uneasy with the thought that Navy (from the G5) could be in the playoff.
Watch the discussions pop up on expanding to 8 team playoff..... {it happened last year with Big 12 being left out.
Watch the p5 teams with 1 loss beeching about SOS, and it will start before the P5 conference championships.

Some on the BY will say that the p5 teams with one loss are going to be selected over an undefeated Navy. IMO, no way (an undefeated military academy team??) not in today's world.

Reaction Score

14 plays, 7 points, and a big key to them winning this game, 8 minutes is off the clock.

I'm with Diaco on this and mentioned this shortly after our loss, if I'm an AP writer voting, Navy is in my top 25. I've watched a ton of college football this year and I would gladly argue to the hill they are worthy of being in that list (I'm not saying they're ohio state - just worthy of being in the top 25).

Also shortly after our loss, I circled the navy ND game on my calendar as one to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am a UConn football fan (more than a casual one I might add), but as a retired Navy man it was difficult for me to watch the game. No matter the outcome, I just wanted to see a good game and I did. Being from IN, I'm also an ND fan (not a BK fan though), so I remember watching that game against UConn with the same feeling. This Saturday, ND will host Navy and I expect it to be just as exciting. However, I often wondered why ND is beholden to playing Navy. I saw the following video and now I know why.

So now I can only hope this game is similar to the one played in 2007 when Navy beat ND in triple OT 46 - 43 after 43 years.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Some on the BY will say that the p5 teams with one loss are going to be selected over an undefeated Navy. IMO, no way (an undefeated military academy team??) not in today's world.

The media will be in love with Navy. LOVE

Reaction Score
Heading to South Bend this weekend for the ND - Navy game... should be a good one. I warned the ND guys I'm going with not to take Navy lightly.

Reaction Score
navy is good and Navy v. ND shoudl be a good game. that said, I believe the key battle will be in the trenches. Navy's offensive line averages 280 lbs and their defensive line averages 266 lbs. They were able to have their way with UConn's bigger lines (OL average 309 lbs, DL average 291 lbs); but, it is safe to say that ND's line will be more skilled and they average 296 lbs on the OL and 294 on the DL. As Navy relies on the run so much, if their OL can control ND's DL and open lanes and create edges, Navy will stand a good chance. if they can't, then less so.

Reaction Score

The media will be in love with Navy. LOVE

I guess I'll be that guy...

The media doesn't pick though, the CFB Play-off committee does. Patriotism aside - I can't see a way that Navy gets into the Top 4 spots (which is the semi-finals/playoffs for National Championship Game). They can be the G5 representative in the New Year's Day Bowls but breaching Top 4 is a long shot (not impossible as long shots do happen but a bunch of teams have to lose for that to be even remotely possible).

That said... my comments are not anti-Navy, they are are very solid team but G5 perception will be tough to overcome.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I guess I'll be that guy...

The media doesn't pick though, the CFB Play-off committee does. Patriotism aside - I can't see a way that Navy gets into the Top 4 spots (which is the semi-finals/playoffs for National Championship Game). They can be the G5 representative in the New Year's Day Bowls but breaching Top 4 is a long shot (not impossible as long shots do happen but a bunch of teams have to lose for that to be even remotely possible).

That said... my comments are not anti-Navy, they are are very solid team but G5 perception will be tough to overcome.
I agree. The committee will always be under pressure to put in a one loss P5 team over an AAC or MWC team. They are human beings, not computers. It would probably take at least a couple back-to-back years of solid success for a G5 to break through.

Reaction Score
A lot of teams will have to lose more than 1 game for an undefeated Navy, Temple, or Memphis to have even the slightest consideration to get into the play-off. There are already 9 or 10 one loss teams ahead of them in the polls. Memphis is 25 in one poll and all are receiving votes.

Reaction Score
However, I often wondered why ND is beholden to playing Navy. I saw the following video and now I know why.
Lame video, fairly accurate historic facts. Anchors away, Go Navy, Beat ND!

Reaction Score
Navy will not get a final 4 invite; nor will any program not in the P5, period. They could play on NY Day in a big game, but not the final 4. The P5 did not set out on this path only to see an academy get an invite over one of their beloved and storied programs.

For the record, I think it'll be fun to see how ND does against both of the AAC opponents on their schedule, as they have Temple right around the corner.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'd take Temple's chances of beating ND over Navy's. I really didn't think they were anything to write home about. Keenan Reynolds was good, but I don't know that he'd be able to withstand playing a large and athletic defense who can put solid licks on him for 4 quarters. Navy's defense was also pretty bad, our gameplan and execution just didn't exploit it. At the beginning of the game we were moving the ball at will against them. If we did that, albeit for one quarter, what the heck will a ND offense do on them? A tough D like Temple is a tougher match up for ND.

Reaction Score
This is Navy's schedule:

Sat, Sept. 5 COLGATE W, 48-10
Sat, Sept. 19 EAST CAROLINA W, 45-21
Sat, Sept. 26 at UConn W, 28-18
Sat, Oct. 3 AIR FORCE W, 33-11
Sat, Oct. 10 at Notre Dame
Sat, Oct. 24 TULANE
Sat, Oct. 31 SOUTH FLORIDA
Sat, Nov. 7 at Memphis
Sat, Nov.14 SMU
Sat, Nov. 21 at Tulsa
Fri, Nov. 27 at Houston
Sat, Dec. 12 vs Army (Philadelphia)

Even if they ran the table (including a decisive win over ND) it's very unlikely they'd have any shot in the Top 4. Their schedule just isn't strong enough and national perception of the G5 would hold them back.

Reaction Score
They and Houston in the Conference Final I would pay to see. Nobody can stop either offense. Greg Ward Jr. is the real deal.

Reaction Score
Can't happen - they're both in the West division.
Well then Temple and one of them. I think that both Temple and Navy can beat ND. I was not impressed with ND on defense. They have been giving up points. Temple D may stop them

Reaction Score
If they win out (or close to it) I can't see them keeping Keenan Reynolds off the Heisman stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom