Kia's play on the Canadian National Team ( vs. Achonwa) | The Boneyard

Kia's play on the Canadian National Team ( vs. Achonwa)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I'm basking in the joy of Kia's decision to play for UConn by reading about her play on the Canadian national team.

http://www.basketball.ca/senior-women-s15142

I'm blown away by the fact that at age 17, still in high school, she is clearly one of the best players on the team already. She is not only a starter but the stats suggest she is at least the 2nd or 3rd best player already. Noteworthy is the progress/improvement she appears to have made during her time on the team--minutes and production increasing with each tournament.

Also, on the team is ND's Achonwa, who is not a starter for the team and whom I think is an underrated player. While it may be an issue of style/roster, Kia's performance has been at least equal to Natalie's, especially at the recent FIBA Americas tournament. If Kia can equal Natalie's accomplishments in college, we are extremely fortunate. Can you imagine how incredible she would be if she continues improving?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Side note, given the lively debates that inevitably ensue over a players actual height, I like how precise the Canadian National Team website is - they list Achonwa and one other at 6'2.5", so if they are that precise, I have to imagine her 6'0" height is accurate.

Another great thing about her - she was the starting PG for them. Probably the hardest position to play. But with Mo Jeff (and hopefully Asia Durr), she won't need to play the 1. But those terrific guard skills and instincts will only help her if she plays the 2,3 or 4.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Her exposure to high level international competition, often with several games in close succession "on the road"(to put it mildly), has to be invaluable experience. Taking over the point guard position on a national team at 17; still blows me away.

Reaction Score
With Geno, the only difference between the 1 and 2 is who brings the ball up court. Once they on offense, there are so many passes going on around it is hard to know who is the point guard. 1, 2 and 3 are pretty much interchangeable in the system.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With Geno, the only difference between the 1 and 2 is who brings the ball up court. Once they on offense, there are so many passes going on around it is hard to know who is the point guard. 1, 2 and 3 are pretty much interchangeable in the system.
And sometimes '4' :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Friends that have seen Kia play told me a while back that they were really impressed with her and she was a UConn type player and Geno should take a look at her. At 17 playing up on the Canadian National team is a big step and to play the point and be the general on the floor is a huge responsibility. What that tells me is she has the experience. Now you couple that with who UConn has on their roster and who has verballed and who UConn is waiting on to verbal and....well if those others don't come they're shorting themselves on at least one NC and national fame. If your a great player you can be good playing almost anywhere. But playing for UConn you will be nationally known. Our roster for the next couple of years has NC written all over it at least once...and you know the way I think it will be every year. Some of you have kidded me on how many games I think UConn could win. Well if we get a couple of bigs to commit I don't think UConn can lose. Obviously they will have to lose sometime but right now for the next 3 years its gonna be awful tuff for them not to win.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And all four of the incoming guards have point guard experience and skills. With MoJet, Saniya, and BB, we will pass other teams silly, even more than we already do. Next year is going to be fun, even without Bria and Stef.

Reaction Score
EVERY year as a Husky fan is fun...Geno gets the best out of just about each and every one of his players and coaches. We get to kick back, and enjoy the show that is...UConn Women's Basketball...

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I briefly wondered if it was the opposite - a lack of precision. Canada has a split personality when it comes to units, with a curious admixture of metric and other options.

I wondered if they measure in meters, and then converted. Close, but not quite. If they had low precision, measuring only to the nearest 5 or 10 centimeters, then a value of 190 centimeters is close. But that converts to 6' 2.8", which would convert to 6' 3" if converting rounding to the nearest half inch. While 189 cm would round to 6' 2.5", measuring to the nearest centimeter would could as roughly the same precision as measuring to the nearest half inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom