Kiah Gillespie on Maryland and UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kiah Gillespie on Maryland and UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ha..visit more often. I, of course, disagree with your psychoanalytical babble, but it's a free country and if you hang around here more often we might find common ground. Because, freuddianslip:

Funny how you dismiss it as psychoanalytical babble when I consider my post an imitation of your method of discourse. Mirrors are never flattering when they expose something we don't want exposed.

Good song BTW. Common ground!:cool:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well everybody needs a dream and that's a good one, however MD and every other team should think about how theyre going to beat UConn because once again this season UConn is unbeatable, unless they beat themselves.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well everybody needs a dream and that's a good one, however MD and every other team should think about how theyre going to beat UConn because once again this season UConn is unbeatable, unless they beat themselves.

Sounds like they would be silly to spend time thinking about how they can beat an unbeatable team. But I agree that the only way that UCONN loses this year will be if they have an off night and the other team is burning up the nets.

Reaction Score
They have an intense coach who likes to win. Geno 10.Brenda 1. I guess intensity is not all it's cracked up to be.

I live in Maryland and have watched Brenda for many years. Her intensity borders on the manic. If intensity was points, the Terps would win every game by 60. But intensity goes just so far; it isn't a substitute for coaching. Maryland roared through the Big Ten, then encountered a really well coached team by playing UConn. If Kiah makes the Terps a better team, it will add to the competition the Huskies must face (communication skills aside). I say: bring 'em on.

Reaction Score
I think MD is getting a good one in Gillespie. Would have been nice to have a CT recruit at UCONN, but when you have Collier, KLS and Boykins as recruits along with the current roster, there really isn't room for another W/F type.
I'm always confused--but maybe a bit more with this one ---Should her short answer have been--because Uconn didn't offer a scholarship?? I too love to see real Connecticut kids on Uconn's roster--but we do have one.
If speaking proper American English (we don't speak English English) is a pre requisite for playing Basketball at the college level--how many would make the Men's team?? I wish we'd stop calling our language English and call it American period..

Reaction Score
Phew---I thought of a minute YOU were speaking of me--but it was to YOU. Since it was me who added the parody of the song Imagination. But isn't Speculation Funny--it does make a cloudy day sunny. At least until some one berates you on it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Phew---I thought of a minute YOU were speaking of me--but it was to YOU. Since it was me who added the parody of the song Imagination. But isn't Speculation Funny--it does make a cloudy day sunny. At least until some one berates you on it.

If you have a thin skin best not play on the internet - eh!

Reaction Score
Rocky except that is definitely NOT what she said, not even close! Maybe we should all be critiquing our collective reading comprehension skills.
This is what she actually said:
"I chose Maryland because it's a great coaching staff and a really good program that's built on tradition," Gillespie said at the team's media day Tuesday. "They have great support, a great educational program, and I feel that they have a lot of tools that's going to help me be successful later on in my life."

Pretty coherent if you ask me.
My take is that she said what she said, clarity or lack thereof may be more of an issue of the intellect and listening skills of the reader. or the lack of said skills. Now the topic of where this young lady will apparently be going to school and whose WBB program she will be gracing. If she was looking for a commit and Geno/UConn was not offering one then she felt comfortable signing with MD. Nothing complicated about that. Story over. What we all think about an in state recruit is irrelevant to what Geno's plans are.

Reaction Score
I hope one of Maryland's strengths is a good Coherent English course.:confused:

"Gillespie has a 3.72 GPA in the classroom and has volunteered locally on behalf of food-donation drives, community cleanup initiatives and at a homeless shelter."

My impression has always been that Kiah was a smart girl, based on what I had read about her and video interviews, etc. Since I'm on the West Coast, I actually wondered if she might be a Stanford prospect at one point.

I thought it was pretty obvious that her awkward wording was a result of her addressing what is probably an awkward subject, while remaining humble and respectful of UConn but at the same time not diminishing her pride and confidence in her decision to sign with Maryland.

Anyway, I remember Kiah was ranked in the 40's and 50's early on, and after watching footage, I thought: "Am I a bad scout? Or does she seem much better than that?" I was relieved when she elevated to the top 20, for my sake, lol.

It was immediately apparent that she was a wing and not a power forward, despite her height, thus makes sense that UConn didn't immediately offer her with Collier, KLS, and Boykin in the mix. Almost any other year likely would have been a different story.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I hope one of Maryland's strengths is a good Coherent English course.:confused:
Stoopid response. In fact, because of your post I read the article and for the life of me I still don't get your post. Oh well.

Having done a hard 9 year stretch in Meriden myself I hope she has a great career at MD.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My take is that she said what she said, clarity or lack thereof may be more of an issue of the intellect and listening skills of the reader. or the lack of said skills. Now the topic of where this young lady will apparently be going to school and whose WBB program she will be gracing. If she was looking for a commit and Geno/UConn was not offering one then she felt comfortable signing with MD. Nothing complicated about that. Story over. What we all think about an in state recruit is irrelevant to what Geno's plans are.
She obviously isn't stupid, she took the best offer--or at least the best for her--whether SHE would have actually accepted a Geno offer is something we can/may debate. Geno has in the recent past (with in the last 7 years) in interviews discussed the issues with finding and recruiting Women BB players from Connecticut. He then (maybe still) didn't have a very high opinion of how well Connecticut WBB HS players were trained in fundamentals and general BB skills. Some of those who have the time and dedication may pull up those interviews if so inclined.

Reaction Score
Stoopid response. In fact, because of your post I read the article and for the life of me I still don't get your post. Oh well.

Having done a hard 9 year stretch in Meriden myself I hope she has a great career at MD.

Was that Meridan? Isn't it called the Honolulu of Central Connecticut, with it's great Water front??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My little sister is a 2018 recruit so I'm anxious when that time comes, where I have to go off on a poster for comments like that.
Izzy is that you ? Are you talking about Dorie by any chance?

Reaction Score
Oh puhleez!...
...And my apologies to the majority of posters in this forum. The last thing I want to do is to start a schism that changes the decorum of this forum especially since I rarely come here to post.
8,832 posts :eek: Rarely indeed. Wait, that was sarcasm, eh?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
8,832 posts :eek: Rarely indeed. Wait, that was sarcasm, eh?
Sarcasm was employed in that post but not about that point. I rarely present an opinion on the Women's bb forum! Although I lurk here frequently and am a women's bb fan. Can you imagine how many posts I would have if I didn't confine myself primarily to one forum? I'd be in Icebear territory!

Reaction Score
This girl can ball!! My daughter played against her a few times. She can handle the ball, shoot the 3 or go inside. Maryland got themselves a good one.

Reaction Score
The article said the best player to come out of CT in quite a while. Hasn't Geno been pretty critical about the way prep bb is structured in CT?

I'd guess that Bria Holmes' connections might disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom