Kia Nurse player comparison??? | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse player comparison???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
For those of you who have been able to see enough of Kia via a link to make an informed judgment:

Got a player comparison for her? Just a guess....a taller Renee Montgomery?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think Kia is a more natural distributor of the ball then Renee was. Coming out of HS I would compare her to Sue at a similar time in their development. Kia might even be slightly ahead of Sue. Will she be as good as Sue, I have a feeling that she will be. Kia already has her Basketball goals set and that is to win an Olympic Medal. She'll probably do whatever is necessary to achieve that goal. I doubt that she'll have any trouble adjusting to the workload that Geno requires of his players. Based on family genetics Kia may have more natural athletic abilities then Sue has. Time will tell how Great Kia end up being.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My opinion has been, and remains, offense of Sveta and defense of Faris. I don't think there's a single player who her game is as similar to since she also was the starting PG on the Canadian National team. How many 6'0" tall kids are top 5-10 in their respective classes, play defense like a demon, have an advanced offensive game, and also handle the ball like a PG (mainly because she was one!)? I would say not many. That's why I think she's a hybrid of several players.

The closest individual players I can think of offhand are Wiggins and Beard . I believe both were 5'11" or so, close to Kia's height, both were terrific offensive players in college, I think both played pretty good defense, but i'm not sure if both had PG ball handling skills. I can't think of a UCONN player whose game is similar to Kia's tho. I hate to say it, but DT may be the closest - Dee had better offense obviously, but Kia already has better quickness and defense. But similar size and demeanor. Don't get me wrong - no one will be DT, and even saying it almost feels sacrilegious, but it's all I got!

I'm going on record right now saying I believe she's one of the top 5 kids in her class. IMHO she may be #3 or 4.

Reaction Score
My opinion has been, and remains, offense of Sveta and defense of Faris. I don't think there's a single player who her game is as similar to since she also was the starting PG on the Canadian National team. How many 6'0" tall kids are top 5-10 in their respective classes, play defense like a demon, have an advanced offensive game, and also handle the ball like a PG (mainly because she was one!)? I would say not many. That's why I think she's a hybrid of several players.

The closest individual players I can think of offhand are Wiggins and Beard . I believe both were 5'11" or so, close to Kia's height, both were terrific offensive players in college, I think both played pretty good defense, but i'm not sure if both had PG ball handling skills. I can't think of a UCONN player whose game is similar to Kia's tho. I hate to say it, but DT may be the closest - Dee had better offense obviously, but Kia already has better quickness and defense. But similar size and demeanor. Don't get me wrong - no one will be DT, and even saying it almost feels sacrilegious, but it's all I got!

I'm going on record right now saying I believe she's one of the top 5 kids in her class. IMHO she may be #3 or 4.
The fact is how much better will she be after working with Geno and his staff over four years???? That's the point that some girls who are recruited by UConn and end up going somewhere else don't realize is despite how good they are, they'll only get better playing for the Huskies. Diamond Deshields will certainly be among those who, if she was willing to play under Geno's rules, would have seen her talent embellished by Geno but chose to go to UNC where, if anything, her skills will atrophy. Sad but true.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The fact is how much better will she be after working with Geno and his staff over four years???? That's the point that some girls who are recruited by UConn and end up going somewhere else don't realize is despite how good they are, they'll only get better playing for the Huskies. Diamond Deshields will certainly be among those who, if she was willing to play under Geno's rules, would have seen her talent embellished by Geno but chose to go to UNC where, if anything, her skills will atrophy. Sad but true.
I think you are right to a degree, but let's be honest - there are tons of players in the WNBA who are terrific and who have developed into great players who didn't go to UCONN. Latta, for example, went to UNC and she was a star for Tulsa this past season. While I totally agree that Geno and co. would get MORE out of a player and that no other program would develop them as completely as UCONN would, I think it's unfair to say she won't develop at all at UNC.

There will come a time where Hatchell will look at DD and say "you need to do more and get better". Will DD respond or will she resist and play the way she wants? And if it becomes a tug of war, how hard will Hatchell push? Having said that, you may be right and it will be very interesting to see how good the senior DD ends up being.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If she plays like Lindsay Whelan or Odyssey Sims, we will all be happy, even though neither of them played for Geno, at least in college. Last time I looked, he was not the only coach in the Hall of Fame and there were a few players there that he never coached.

Great as he is, some of his counterparts are capable coaches, too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Walt Frazier. Without the beard. Seriously.

Like Clyde, she is a tenacious, top-notch defender with good offensive skills and great judgment. She'll be solid, just as Asjha was solid and Morgan is solid. She'll make the right play almost all the time. Though she'll be playing on the Canadian team, she has the talent to be a U.S. Olympian.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If she plays like Clyde, should we call her Bonnie?:rolleyes:
That would be Katie Lou's sister. :)

I can tell you that the Huskies will gun down the competition, figuratively speaking of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom