Kia Nurse: ...It's a Pretty Incredible Experience | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse: ...It's a Pretty Incredible Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
EDMONTON - Here, in this uncompromisingly hockey-obsessed neck of the woods, Kia Nurse is best known as Darnell’s sister.

But in Storrs, Conn., mentioning the Edmonton Oilers heralded defensive prospect would probably be met with a response to the effect of, “he related to Kia?”

The latter, home to Kia and the powerhouse Connecticut Huskies, is something of a hoops utopia where the women’s game is embraced like nowhere else.

“They definitely like to call (Connecticut) the basketball capital of the world, and honestly it is,” Kia said. “It’s amazing to see the women’s side get as much as attention as the men’s side, and we’re pretty much just as popular as they are … the entire state, you go anywhere and everybody loves Connecticut, so it’s a pretty incredible experience.”

[LINK] to full article.

Reaction Score
In terms of pushing herself & by playing hard every minute on the court, Kia is no different from her teammates, but under the added pressure of being a starting freshman she radiates "classy" for me.

Reaction Score
Wow ---what a pedigree~!! Everyone in that family played College, National, International sports--you name it they did it!! I knew Kia was an exceptional kid, now we know where it comes from. But Connecticut Sports fans have known of the Oilers --now Hamilton knows of Uconn WBB. Kia Nurse, the way she carries her self with authority on the court, reminds me of Sveta
(or Svetie as Sue calls her)
SUPER great link---thank you, a must read for all Uconn Kia Nurse fans.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She's a classy young woman and always a good interview - she has a good piece of this post-championship Tuber.

Reaction Score
“Kia’s just matured overall as an elite athlete,” SWNT coach Lisa Thomaidis said. “We certainly see an improvement in her basketball skills, in her ability to read defenses, in her maturity, in her leadership. She’s shooting the ball a lot better than she was last year, so she’s a significantly better player than she was a year ago.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
“Kia’s just matured overall as an elite athlete,” SWNT coach Lisa Thomaidis said. “We certainly see an improvement in her basketball skills, in her ability to read defenses, in her maturity, in her leadership. She’s shooting the ball a lot better than she was last year, so she’s a significantly better player than she was a year ago.
I haven't read that article yet - who is SWNT? I will be curious what the Canadian National coaches think of her game 1 year after playing at UCONN. I know she came to UCONN more "college ready" than most freshmen (maturity), but I'll also be curious to see their comments after a year under Geno's tutelage...

Reaction Score
I haven't read that article yet - who is SWNT? I will be curious what the Canadian National coaches think of her game 1 year after playing at UCONN. I know she came to UCONN more "college ready" than most freshmen (maturity), but I'll also be curious to see their comments after a year under Geno's tutelage...
Senior Women's National Team. This IS what that head coach thinks of her after a year w/ Geno.

Reaction Score
UConn is the only place where the coach and players can talk about all the struggles in a championship season in which they win by a record 40 points per game. :)
Good point MilfordH - I guess this statement sheds light on the Champions of every sport where they say " it is much easier to get to the top than to stay at the top." A smidge less focus and you get the Stanford game. Everyday is a struggle to reach higher or to stay at that pinnacle. Lots of pressure.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
“Kia’s just matured overall as an elite athlete,” SWNT coach Lisa Thomaidis said. “We certainly see an improvement in her basketball skills, in her ability to read defences, in her maturity, in her leadership. She’s shooting the ball a lot better than she was last year, so she’s a significantly better player than she was a year ago.”

Just wait for the sophomore leap! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc