Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 77 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Cincinnati gets into the Big 12 the only good thing will be the reaction here about Father Christmas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Santa J. Ono ‏@PrezOno · Jun 30

We live & we learn to take
One step at a time
It's gonna happen when it's
Supposed to happen & we
Find the reasons why
One step at a time

Santa J. Ono
@PrezOno
28th President of the University of Cincinnati
You wanna show the world, but no one knows your name yet
Wonder when and where and how you're gonna make it
You know you can if you get the chance
In your face as the door keeps slamming
Now you're feeling more and more frustrated
And you're getting all kind of impatient waiting

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I'm surprised UConn wasn't #1...guess that baseball run USF had plus the off year for men's BB made the difference.
Darn penalty kicks in men's soccer semi finals did it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Santa J. Ono ‏@PrezOno · Jun 30

We live & we learn to take
One step at a time
It's gonna happen when it's
Supposed to happen & we
Find the reasons why
One step at a time

Santa J. Ono
@PrezOno
28th President of the University of Cincinnati
When did Jay Bilas start his new job at Cinci? All that's missing is the, "I gotta go to work" part.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but goes to the narrative of smoke behind the scenes. After Gene D's comments about ESPN being the puppet master things went quiet in Bristol for a long time. No one associated with ESPN was pushing stories and none of their radio shows focused on conference realignment until after announcements were made. There was a conscientious decision to make sure ESPN was seen as reporting a story not making the news.

Now? Front page on the NCAA Football page detailing why Big12 expansion is inevitable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/100511/big-12-expansion-no-longer-an-if-but-rather-a-when

Get ready, Big 12 fans: Expansion is coming. And if it doesn't, the conference may not survive.

Last week, Oklahoma president David Boren publicly proclaimed what most of us have known for some time. In the wake of losing Nebraska to the Big Ten and Texas A&M and Missouri to the SEC, the Big 12 has become, as Boren put it, “psychologically disadvantaged.”

Of course, Boren’s “
OU’s not going to be a wallflower” remark four years ago, which prompted Mizzou to bail on the Big 12 salvage operation, contributed to said psychological disadvantage. But that’s another story.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but goes to the narrative of smoke behind the scenes. After Gene D's comments about ESPN being the puppet master things went quiet in Bristol for a long time. No one associated with ESPN was pushing stories and none of their radio shows focused on conference realignment until after announcements were made. There was a conscientious decision to make sure ESPN was seen as reporting a story not making the news.

Now? Front page on the NCAA Football page detailing why Big12 expansion is inevitable.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/100511/big-12-expansion-no-longer-an-if-but-rather-a-when

Get ready, Big 12 fans: Expansion is coming. And if it doesn't, the conference may not survive.

Last week, Oklahoma president David Boren publicly proclaimed what most of us have known for some time. In the wake of losing Nebraska to the Big Ten and Texas A&M and Missouri to the SEC, the Big 12 has become, as Boren put it, “psychologically disadvantaged.”

Of course, Boren’s “
OU’s not going to be a wallflower” remark four years ago, which prompted Mizzou to bail on the Big 12 salvage operation, contributed to said psychological disadvantage. But that’s another story.

Excellent point about ESPN. So, cards are now on the table with OU's public position to expand the conference. Now we wait to see if Texas is ready to go all in with the B12 or if they wish to continue to generate red herrings as to why expansion shouldn't happen at this time. Anyone against expansion of the B12 - in my mind - has to be thinking about an exit in 10 years. An expanded B12 is no slam dunk for long term success if that means Cincy & UCF alone. I would want BYU to grab another time zone and a school with a national audience and good sports tradition.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Excellent point about ESPN. So, cards are now on the table with OU's public position to expand the conference. Now we wait to see if Texas is ready to go all in with the B12 or if they wish to continue to generate red herrings as to why expansion shouldn't happen at this time. Anyone against expansion of the B12 - in my mind - has to be thinking about an exit in 10 years. An expanded B12 is no slam dunk for long term success if that means Cincy & UCF alone. I would want BYU to grab another time zone and a school with a national audience and good sports tradition.

I repeat it often because it bears repeating. The Big XII has zero chance of gaining mindshare to the north, in B1G country. It has zero chance of gaining mindshare to the east, in SEC country. If it had been smart enough to take Pitt, Cincy and Louisville with WVU long ago, it might have carved a little area of relevance in that geography. At present, it has zero chance of becoming relevant on the east coast. On the other hand, it can absolutely be relevant in the southwest and mountain states. It has to choose. UCF or USF would get it nothing. ECU nothing.

It has one chance, be first to go after the southwest and mountain states, before the Pac does. It already botched this by losing Colorado and not inviting Utah, but it isn't too late. Nevada, New Mexico, CSU, Boise, BYU...they can become the conference of that part of the country.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I repeat it often because it bears repeating. The Big XII has zero chance of gaining mindshare to the north, in B1G country. It has zero chance of gaining mindshare to the east, in SEC country. If it had been smart enough to take Pitt, Cincy and Louisville with WVU long ago, it might have carved a little area of relevance in that geography. At present, it has zero chance of becoming relevant on the east coast. On the other hand, it can absolutely be relevant in the southwest and mountain states. It has to choose. UCF or USF would get it nothing. ECU nothing.

It has one chance, be first to go after the southwest and mountain states, before the Pac does. It already botched this by losing Colorado and not inviting Utah, but it isn't too late. Nevada, New Mexico, CSU, Boise, BYU...they can become the conference of that part of the country.

Interesting POV which leads to a great strategic debate for the B12. Double down on small local states (at least all of these states are growing at a pace exceeding the national avg except for NM) with better geographic and perhaps cultural fit or commit to the national footprint (basically if you are in Iowa, WV, FL and TX its a national conf) concept with more cable boxes but thinner culture connections.

So after 15 mins of this conversation, I imagine Texas elects to do nothing and rather dream of a future in any of the three other conf. Conclusion, B12 doesn't add.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wonder, can a school announce today that its leaving the B12 at the expiration of the GOR in (10 years?)?

pj

Reaction Score

Southwest and Mountain states have no people. If they added UConn, they would have mindshare in the northeast (New England / New York). They need to find good islands, there are no whole regions available to them.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Nevada is around 100th in AD revenue, New Mexico and Boise are around 60th. CSU is around 70th.

I'm sure BYU is very high on that list but since they are private I can't see.

Point being, sure the Northeast is never going to be Big12 country, but in terms of national interest, a UConn Kansas hoop game or Texas Cinci football game would dwarf whatever CSU, Nevada, New Mexico could offer, even in Big12 country.

I definitely get your point but, even suggesting a Nevada or CSU over UConn or Cincinnati seems inaccurate.

One last point, people act like BYU and Boise are a stones throw away from the Big12, people forget just how huge these states are. If WVU being isolated is an issue, BYU and Boise aren't much better.

Reaction Score
I wonder, can a school announce today that its leaving the B12 at the expiration of the GOR in (10 years?)?
Could you imagine the backlash in terms of scheduling and things like that, that a school would have to put up with in the interim. I can't imagine it would be too pretty.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It's a long shot for the reasons cited above but if HuskyHawk could somehow hypnotize the B12 presidents to leave the AAC alooooooooone.... it would give UConn a few more years to improve football in a sub-P5 but above-MAC league.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
One last point, people act like BYU and Boise are a stones throw away from the Big12, people forget just how huge these states are. If WVU being isolated is an issue, BYU and Boise aren't much better.

Yep, adding BYU to the B12 would certainly be tough for all their other sports - just like WVU - no doubt about it. I haven't bothered to look, but I suspect their current Independent situation has already caused a good deal of extended travel time.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Could you imagine the ty backlash in terms of scheduling and things like that, that a school would have to put up with in the interim. I can't imagine it would be too pretty.
Not pretty, but we've dealt with it several times already during the BE disintegration when announced two years out. I don't see much difference if its announced 2 years or 10 years.

If TX is going to bail in 10 years, they might as well announce it soon so everyone can plan accordingly.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It's a long shot for the reasons cited above but if HuskyHawk could somehow hypnotize the B12 presidents to leave the AAC alooooooooone.... it would give UConn a few more years to improve football in a sub-P5 but above-MAC league.
I just don't see good football at UConn moving the needle on our situation too much. Sure, it wouldn't hurt and yes, if we are really good we become difficult to ignore - but in the end, I think a conf takes us for all the other sports and just assumes we become the new Indiana or Vandy to their conf.

Reaction Score
Have any other B12 presidents issued statements like this? We need to keep a running tally. Could OU use a lack of expansion as a means of getting out of grant of rights?

Reaction Score
Have any other B12 presidents issued statements like this? We need to keep a running tally. Could OU use a lack of expansion as a means of getting out of grant of rights?

Probably only if their Tier 1 carrier(s) clearly did not act in the "best interest" of the conference or school. I don't know if they could apply the same criteria to the conference.

Since the TV contact already has an expansion clause in it that maintains the same payment even if sliced 2 more ways, it's doubtful.

Reaction Score
I just don't see good football at UConn moving the needle on our situation too much. Sure, it wouldn't hurt and yes, if we are really good we become difficult to ignore - but in the end, I think a conf takes us for all the other sports and just assumes we become the new Indiana or Vandy to their conf.

If UConn were still good at football we might have had the support of FSU and Clemson. If we were still good in football, Big 12 fans would be saying, "get UConn, they are good at everything and have a big market". Shotty football has been killing us. If we were still playing good football, conferences would be fawning over us. We'd be incredibly elite in terms of content for a network.

Reaction Score
Yep, adding BYU to the B12 would certainly be tough for all their other sports - just like WVU - no doubt about it. I haven't bothered to look, but I suspect their current Independent situation has already caused a good deal of extended travel time.
Except for football, isn't BYU in the WCC or some other conference? Regardless, BYU traveled a lot in the Mountain Conference and in many conferences too many schools now travel unreasonable distances. May UCONN soon have to travel as far west as Lincoln for really B1G games.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If UConn were still good at football we might have had the support of FSU and Clemson. If we were still good in football, Big 12 fans would be saying, "get UConn, they are good at everything and have a big market". Shotty football has been killing us. If we were still playing good football, conferences would be fawning over us. We'd be incredibly elite in terms of content for a network.
I guess. It wouldn't hurt to be good, that is for sure. But if we were really good, I don't think its necessarily a game changer for our situation. It hasn't helped Boise St. Pitt, Syracuse and Rutgers aren't particularly great at football and they found P5 love. To some degree, our football will always be looked at like Marshal, Hawaii or Northwestern in that even when we have a few good years, that everyone will be waiting for the good times to end because of the lower level recruiting available to us in the NE.

The reason to add UConn will always be for all the other sports and for a presence in the NE with a flagship university. We offer an interesting place for the alumni of other schools to visit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom