Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 59 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Anyone leaving a non-P5 conference is "not major".

It sounds to me more like Jeff Long was asked a question about realignment and gave an answer to indicate that nothing is happening.

Reaction Score
McMurphy just doesn't get it. There will be a whole lotta shaking going on.

Reaction Score
McMurphy just doesn't get it. There will be a whole lotta shaking going on.
He's quoting Jeff Long who apparently made the statement on Sirius radio. At least that's the way I read it.

Reaction Score
When a #1 vs #2 matchup gets a .8 and it's celebrated, that's how little women's bball pushes the television needle.

0.8 is actually a phenomenal rating.That rating buries the Men's Big East ratings on FOX. If WBB could pull ratings anywhere near that for other encounters, every media company would clamor for the Huskies to be on. The mere presence of UConn on the B1G or ACC schedule would create a lot of buzz and fill their empty arenas. (Those down south that watched the game couldn't believe the spirit and size of the Gampel crowd) . Don't think that the B1G isn't cognizant of how the Huskie's Men's and Women's BBall could help their network. Once UConn Football gets going and the AAU is a reality, the future shaking up of CR noted by several pundits will come to pass. Now its all about winning at football and getting back the buzz and support necessary for us to have some realistic traction with the decision makers.

Reaction Score
The charm for you the spectator are the amateur athletes competing. The best have different motives and typically want to keep their options open. We see it every April. Holding them in college for three years runs counter to keeping their options open. In general, the Ryan Boatrights of the world either have a physical flaw, (e.g. not tall enough), flaw in their game (e.g. need to consistently demonstrate leadership qualities) or are outliers.

Just one man's (possibly jaded) opinion.
Isn't the one and done a recent rule we survived nicely without it for a long time.
The way it's gamed now is a joke.
The players who can make the jump from high school are a rare few.
The dozen or so freshman who get drafted in the first or second round aren't really going to hurt college basketball.
Do you really think playing minor league ball in South Dakota is going to lure that many away from college. If that's what they want I'm okay with it. The minor league baseball model ,where they sign thousands of kids annually to get to a handful who actually make is a cold reminder of that route. Most are left with memories of long bus rides and Sor arms.
Hasn't college baseball played a much larger role in recent years even with limited scholarship availability and a non revenue status.
College ball will actually get better as kids stay longer.
The one and done rule does nothing for college ball except cause them to babysit non-students for a year. It's a disservice to the studend athlete ,but it's exploitive of these kids with total disregard to them having any value other than a Basketball Skill.
That rule should go , a mandatory three year commitment , will actually induce more kids to stay four. Inforcing that rule could be difficult.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Isn't the one and done a recent rule we survived nicely without it for a long time.
The way it's gamed now is a joke.
The players who can make the jump from high school are a rare few.
The dozen or so freshman who get drafted in the first or second round aren't really going to hurt college basketball.
Do you really think playing minor league ball in South Dakota is going to lure that many away from college. If that's what they want I'm okay with it. The minor league baseball model ,where they sign thousands of kids annually to get to a handful who actually make is a cold reminder of that route. Most are left with memories of long bus rides and Sor arms.
Hasn't college baseball played a much larger role in recent years even with limited scholarship availability and a non revenue status.
College ball will actually get better as kids stay longer.
The one and done rule does nothing for college ball except cause them to babysit non-students for a year. It's a disservice to the studend athlete ,but it's exploitive of these kids with total disregard to them having any value other than a Basketball Skill.
That rule should go , a mandatory three year commitment , will actually induce more kids to stay four. Inforcing that rule could be difficult.

The One and Done rule is not an NCAA rule. It's an NBA rule so that for-profit teams aren't bearing the brunt of developing 18 year old kids who don't recognize that they aren't ready to bang around with men in their physical prime. A second benefit for the NBA is that it actually saves it's teams' GMs from themselves. There is no longer that need to draft the next Kobe Bryant, when all they have to go on is a grainy video of spin moves against a folding chair.

I had a longer post all chambered, but I scrapped it. I just found the following, which is not a terrible compromise.

The 2 year commitment would at least make kids maintain NCAA eligibility into their 2nd year (UK would be duckked by the APR :cool:), but not restrict their options too badly.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hate to be a message board hardo, but there's literally thousands of threads to have the same roundabout discussions we have every day on the Yard. Can we keep this to the key tweets?

Yes, I realize how absurd that sounds.

Reaction Score
Eric Pennekamp ‏@Epfourteen · 5h5 hours ago
@McMurphyESPN u post a little nugget about expan.for the 1st time in eons and have 0 follow up. No attempt to find a scoop on what he meant?

Brett McMurphyVerified account
‏@McMurphyESPN
@Epfourteen He’s probably just referring to C-USA and/or Sun Belt. Not a Power 5 league

pj

Reaction Score
Looks like ESPN mgmt sent the word down. Kill the realignment speculation.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur @flugempire · 24 hours ago
Big Ten Hockey will expand in the next few years and according to all public information it will not probably happen from inside B1G conf

Big Ten hockey on the BTN/Fox Sports has been beneficial to the network...reaping good ratings. Pie is growing. More content will be wanted

"@rwesthead: Interesting times in NCAA hockey. Penn State hockey program turned a profit this yr with $4.4M in revenue" Rutgers listening?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Big Ten Hockey will expand in the next few years and according to all public information it will not probably happen from inside B1G conf

Big Ten hockey on the BTN/Fox Sports has been beneficial to the network...reaping good ratings. Pie is growing. More content will be wanted

"@rwesthead: Interesting times in NCAA hockey. Penn State hockey program turned a profit this yr with $4.4M in revenue" Rutgers listening?
Wrong thread. As much as I like Flugar, he is decidedly non-key.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I still don't understand why you continually post on your enemies blog. We know you love FSU. We know FSU screwed UConn, but you persist.

But he didn't screw UConn. So what's the problem?

Reaction Score
But he didn't screw UConn. So what's the problem?
He is a supporter of their policies. He is always trying to rationalize their decisions. It just seems to me that he likes to rub salt in wounds. He is no different that BC posters here who try to justify their past actions.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
He is a supporter of their policies. He is always trying to rationalize their decisions. It just seems to me that he likes to rub salt in wounds. He is no different that BC posters here who try to justify their past actions.

Let it go, dude. The only thing you are accomplishing is making yourself look looney.

I think his perspective is a plus around here. It's very different from mine, but if we can't look at the other side as objectively as we can, we are useless. Billy presents his side with more respect than many of the ACC/ND slappies that have been banned here.

Reaction Score
Let it go, dude. The only thing you are accomplishing is making yourself look looney.

I think his perspective is a plus around here. It's very different from mine, but if we can't look at the other side as objectively as we can, we are useless. Billy presents his side with more respect than many of the ACC/ND slappies that have been banned here.

Respectful? Ha. He's a troll. Proven on many occasions.

Banned? What? Who was banned?

pj

Reaction Score
He may be imagining that btstimpy got banned because he stopped posting for a few months after Fishy repeatedly threatened him with banning. Our guests aren't aware that Fishy's threats are for show.

As for billybud, I like having him around. He may be a troll, but he's a droll troll.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Respectful? Ha. He's a troll. Proven on many occasions.

Banned? What? Who was banned?

The ND tool Notre Dame Joe and his "BuG" crap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom