Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 52 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Are there really people here who think an extra 5,000 people in seats at the Rent would cause a mad rush of conference commissioners to call Susan up and ask UConn to the prom? Really? CR is a complex mish-mash of desires, needs, history, personalities, money, and dozens of other things. Yes, filling the stadium is one of a hundred or so things that could improve UConn's attractiveness to a P5 league. Most of those things are out of the control of the University.

You are over-simplifying this. Of course 5K empty seats at ONE GAME is not going to have much effect. But 5-10K empty seats at EVERY GAME certainly will. If we can't fill our stadium on a beautiful 70 degree Friday night against a top, nationally recognized opponent in the first game after the wicked witch is dead, then that is cause for concern.

You are right: empty seats isn't the ONLY thing that may or may not get us out of AAC purgatory. But it is the one of very few things that we as fans can control, along with TV ratings, buying merchandise, and donating to the school. 5K empties at a big game like BYU home opener sends a very poor message. If we have 5-10K empties at every home game this year, then that's on us as fans. P5 conferences won't be convinced that they can make money off UCONN when UCONN can't make money off of UCONN.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Well, their future schedules don't reflect that. 2014: Sputh Dakota St., @Toledo, UCF, Indiana 2015: SE Missouri St., @arkansas St. 2016: TBA 2017: Purdue 2018: Wyoming, @Purdue 2019: @Wyoming, Memphis 2020: Memphs
You can't tell me that playing Wake, Miami, Utah, Washington State, Indiana, or Northwestern provides any more cred than going to Houston, Central Florida, Boise, or BYU merely because of the "P5 (or as President Herbst called it, the 5CSMA)" designation.

I find it to be faulty logic.
1) I'd like to think that people are smarter than that (probably not in the SEC, so there's that) and
2) There are only so many cupcake 5CSMA programs to go around. The big boys all want to pad their win totals but only one team can play the likes of the Kentuckys, Indianas etc. of the world and they are going to want to get a few wins as well so there is no saying that they will want to start every season travelling to a perceived big gun every year.

Reaction Score
Translation: We in the SEC have agreements (wink wink, informal and via a slow roll) with certain of our competitors (i.e., other P5 conferences) as well as media partners and we are going to work with them to exclude all other competitors so that we fully control the market for big time college football. Barrier of entry is rock solid -- hee hee, by invitation only! Best of luck G5 losers. Cha-ching!$!

Reaction Score
The market for top tier collegiate athletics is huge. We truly don't know when the game of musical chairs is going to end. We should be next in line for the "P5", at least.

Reaction Score
You are over-simplifying this. Of course 5K empty seats at ONE GAME is not going to have much effect. But 5-10K empty seats at EVERY GAME certainly will. If we can't fill our stadium on a beautiful 70 degree Friday night against a top, nationally recognized opponent in the first game after the wicked witch is dead, then that is cause for concern.

You are right: empty seats isn't the ONLY thing that may or may not get us out of AAC purgatory. But it is the one of very few things that we as fans can control, along with TV ratings, buying merchandise, and donating to the school. 5K empties at a big game like BYU home opener sends a very poor message. If we have 5-10K empties at every home game this year, then that's on us as fans. P5 conferences won't be convinced that they can make money off UCONN when UCONN can't make money off of UCONN.
Not making excuses but Labor Day weekend and the top 10 men's soccer team had a home game.

Reaction Score
Despite it being Labor Day, it was a beautiful long weekend. Perhaps this market is small and we are not suitable for a P5 conference. I'm not talking television market size I am talking the number of people who give a sheet. If we could not get 40,000 on a warm Friday evening, it could be we belong in the AAC. Yes, I am being a Debbie Downer. It pains me to talk like this. Major markets have enough of a base that if 10000 fans are going away Labor Day weekend, there are 10000 fans in reserve thrilled to get a chance to see their team. Throw your we are coming off pp and Hatheway daggers at me. I am just having one of those realism days

Reaction Score
The market for top tier collegiate athletics is huge. We truly don't know when the game of musical chairs is going to end. We should be next in line for the "P5", at least.

Given the history of the college football "country club":

College Football Association (1977): 64 schools
Bowl Coalition + Big Ten + Pac-10 (1992) : 67 schools
Bowl Alliance + Big Ten + Pac-10 (1995): 66 schools
Bowl Championship Series (1998) : 65 schools
Bowl Championship Series (2005): 66 schools
College Football Playoff Power 5: 65 schools

Barring legal action, I'd say that future admission to the country club is VERY limited.

Reaction Score
Attendance figures for some P5 programs on opening week. . .

Vanderbilt 32K; Pitt 40K, Syracuse 41K, Duke 31K, Boise/Missisippi 33K; Northwestern 34K; Purdue 37K; Indiana 38K; Illinois 36K, Rutgers/Washingtonn State 31K, Oregon State 40K. . . (Wake lost on the road). Bunch of schools at 45K.

Reaction Score
Chance that Syracuse had 41k against Nova - 0%

I can't imagine a school would resort to inflating attendance figures. . .:rolleyes:

I went back to put a disclaimer on the post but couldn't locate the edit button. I'm assuming the site's complex algorithm automatically eliminates the edit button after a high number of perfectly crafted posts. . .

Reactions: TKs

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I can't imagine a school would resort to inflating attendance figures. . .:rolleyes:

I went back to put a disclaimer on the post but couldn't locate the edit button. I'm assuming the site's complex algorithm automatically eliminates the edit button after a high number of perfectly crafted posts. . .
It looks like it now disappears after a bit of time goes by.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
itgoeslike said:
Attendance figures for some P5 programs on opening week. . . Vanderbilt 32K; Pitt 40K, Syracuse 41K, Duke 31K, Boise/Missisippi 33K; Northwestern 34K; Purdue 37K; Indiana 38K; Illinois 36K, Rutgers/Washingtonn State 31K, Oregon State 40K. . . (Wake lost on the road). Bunch of schools at 45K.
Rutgers attendance seems low given they sold a record 31,000+ season tickets.

Reaction Score
Bashing of McMurphy or Mizzou, but not the 5K who couldn't bother to go to the BYU game or the 10K who likely aren't going to go to the Stony Brook game. Our CR chances fall primarily on us as a fanbase now. If we have fans who are going to wait for UCONN to go undefeated to start going to games, then we might as well give up football and park our Hoops programs back in the ol' mid-major Big East conference so we can revive our must-see annual rivalries with Seton Hall, Providence and DePaul (and gleefully accept $5M/yr from our Big East affiliation...which isn't even enough to pay JUST our 2 head coaches). In other words, goodbye football, goodbye Geno and goodbye Ollie. But yeah, it's easier to discredit McMurphy or a friggin' Athletic Director at a P5 school than it is to look in the mirror and ask ourselves "What Can I/We Do to #HuskyUp?"
People are not going to go to the Rent to see UConn play teams that fans cannot relate to (ie AAC opponents). We saw what happened when Michigan came to the Rent. The same would happen with any P5 school I would imagine. Even BYU doesn't do it for CT fans. It is doubtful that Boise will either. If you really think that fans have anything to do with CR, then you are kidding yourself. It is out of our hands. Not many people are going to pay and go through the hassle of getting to the Rent to watch one crummy team play another for nothing. Don't tell me that Rutger's fan base and attendance at their games got them into the B1G. Don't tell me that Syracuse's outstanding attendance at their football games got them in to the ACC. Even Louisville's attendance was not that great until the other night. UConn failed to promote itself when it mattered. That is what matters.

Reaction Score
Chance that Syracuse had 41k against Nova - 0%

This could explain what you saw.

While the ticket sales numbers are rosier than last year, what the 35,000-plus will look like when seated remains a different question.

Syracuse has included Villanova tickets in promotions like its three-game Florida State package and its season-ticket packages, creating the possibility that fans have purchased seats to the game without any real intention of using them.

What also appears to help their number, all freshmen get free tickets to the home opener. They had 33K at their home opener last year.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...s_to_friday_nights_football_opener_again.html

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks, but I didn't need an explanation to know that there wasn't 41,000 people watching Syracuse play Villanova, even if half the fan bases is dingy enough to think it might be a hoop game.

Reaction Score
Given the history of the college football "country club":

College Football Association (1977): 64 schools
Bowl Coalition + Big Ten + Pac-10 (1992) : 67 schools
Bowl Alliance + Big Ten + Pac-10 (1995): 66 schools
Bowl Championship Series (1998) : 65 schools
Bowl Championship Series (2005): 66 schools
College Football Playoff Power 5: 65 schools

Barring legal action, I'd say that future admission to the country club is VERY limited.
considering that uconn, usf, and cincy all had seats at the table during the BCS era, what two schools jumped ahead? Utah and TCU?

Reaction Score
People are not going to go to the Rent to see UConn play teams that fans cannot relate to (ie AAC opponents). We saw what happened when Michigan came to the Rent. The same would happen with any P5 school I would imagine. Even BYU doesn't do it for CT fans. It is doubtful that Boise will either. If you really think that fans have anything to do with CR, then you are kidding yourself. It is out of our hands. Not many people are going to pay and go through the hassle of getting to the Rent to watch one crummy team play another for nothing. Don't tell me that Rutger's fan base and attendance at their games got them into the B1G. Don't tell me that Syracuse's outstanding attendance at their football games got them in to the ACC. Even Louisville's attendance was not that great until the other night. UConn failed to promote itself when it mattered. That is what matters.
no... the same wouldn't happen with any other P5 school.
and please don't lump all p5 schools into the same category as if there is some huge gap currently between all p5 schools and the other g5. there isn't. the fact is, there are probably 20 legit programs driving the money and another 45 along for the ride.

suggesting a program like michigan would get the same draw as northwestern, duke, wf, illinois, or indiana is wrong. fans came to see michigan. it was an event.

Reaction Score

Just remember Gordon Gecko's words. If the pimps that run our universities see $ signs, everything else (lawsuits, markets, tradition, etc) go away

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Despite it being Labor Day, it was a beautiful long weekend. Perhaps this market is small and we are not suitable for a P5 conference. I'm not talking television market size I am talking the number of people who give a sheet. If we could not get 40,000 on a warm Friday evening, it could be we belong in the AAC. Yes, I am being a Debbie Downer. It pains me to talk like this. Major markets have enough of a base that if 10000 fans are going away Labor Day weekend, there are 10000 fans in reserve thrilled to get a chance to see their team. Throw your we are coming off pp and Hatheway daggers at me. I am just having one of those realism days
I won't throw a dagger, but I will offer a slightly different opinion. For the non-hardcore fan who has other options like going away for the long weekend or watching a soccer match between 2 ranked opponents, it's an easy choice. It is about PP, GDL & Hathaway in that the product was so bad for 3 years that it is not a must see. Why would someone with limited entertainment money want to spend it on UConn football when recent history says they'll lose. It's the same for every sport, when the product is good the fans come (excluding Tampa baseball) and when it isn't they don't. I go because I love my school, but if I wasn't that committed I probably wouldn't. I'll go to a movie where I know I'll get my money's worth. They need to win! #JustWin

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom