Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 828 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Not 100 percent sure how the revenue sharing works but at least 68 teams in NCAA tournament while going forward only 24 teams in football. I am sure the conferences get a big cut

The teams split 30% of the total tv contract which is just baffling.

Reaction Score
In order for it to happen for us, several things that were always going to happen needed to not happen.

Alas, it was not close. We were oceans away. Stop torturing yourself.

Plus it’s not even certain that the Big 12 members would have voted us in.
I think it was that close. Yormark would never have visited Storrs if he and the B12 weren't serious about adding UConn, but when the PAC crumbled and the Four-Corner schools suddenly became available, it was an opportunity he couldn't let pass -- not just Arizona, but all of them, as a package. No doubt some B12 members may have concerns about the current state of UConn's football program, but they also know that UConn was able to field competitive teams in the OBE and that the Huskies would be able to regain relevance with B12 money. UConn would be a good addition to the B12 the next time the cards are shuffled, but there are other candidates in the running, as well. You guys really need to up your game over the short term, or at least create the appearance of it, to secure a long term future.

Reaction Score
I think it was that close. Yormark would never have visited Storrs if he and the B12 weren't serious about adding UConn, but when the PAC crumbled and the Four-Corner schools suddenly became available, it was an opportunity he couldn't let pass -- not just Arizona, but all of them, as a package. No doubt some B12 members may have concerns about the current state of UConn's football program, but they also know that UConn was able to field competitive teams in the OBE and that the Huskies would be able to regain relevance with B12 money. UConn would be a good addition to the B12 the next time the cards are shuffled, but there are other candidates in the running, as well. You guys really need to up your game over the short term, or at least create the appearance of it, to secure a long term future.

Then you believe in folklore.

Reaction Score
Not 100 percent sure how the revenue sharing works but at least 68 teams in NCAA tournament while going forward only 24 teams in football. I am sure the conferences get a big cut

The NCAA Tournament's Big Payday - Front Office Sports

https://www.axios.com/2023/03/29/ncaa-basketball-tournament-conference-payouts

According to the above axios link, in 2023 the NCAA paid out 230 million out of $900 million. The front office link says conferences are expecting about $260 million this year. It's absolute insanity the NCAA keeps that much.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The NCAA Tournament's Big Payday - Front Office Sports

https://www.axios.com/2023/03/29/ncaa-basketball-tournament-conference-payouts

According to the above axios link, in 2023 the NCAA paid out 230 million out of $900 million. The front office link says conferences are expecting about $260 million this year. It's absolute insanity the NCAA keeps that much.
That is not the whole story. The NCAA Tournament pays for all other sports championships and many other things that benefit all of the schools. The CFP pays for nothing so more money is distributed to the schools. Now that football is a huge moneymaker through the CFP, having the NCAAT subsidize everything the NCAA does seems outdated, but I highly doubt it is going to change.

Many people think the NCAAT media rights are undervalued by the NCAA as they like having the LT media contract which is the same mistake the ACC has made. And one thing that is clear is that the NCAA women's tournament media rights are undervalued and I really can't figure out how the NCAA let that happen.

Reaction Score
This is the main way that they make money. The more schools take back from the NCAA, the more they hurt it.

Well, I am no fan of the NCAA. And don’t you realize this arrangement kills the power basketball schools? and there is no single greater victim in this arrangement than UConn. If the basketball schools kept more the of the tv revenue, they would be much more lucrative and thereby more attractive. If the bball schools kept +/- 90% of the NCAA tournament revenue , UConn would be in a power league tomorrow.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Looks like they are making serious investments which have paid off. They moved right to the top of the Sun Belt standings in football and basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if they are serious candidate for whatever happens when the vultures show up for the ACC remains.
Could fill the map nicely for the ACC remnants. Just keep what they have started going.

Reaction Score
Looks like they are making serious investments which have paid off. They moved right to the top of the Sun Belt standings in football and basketball. I wouldn't be surprised if they are serious candidate for whatever happens when the vultures show up for the ACC remains.
They've invested in almost all of their athletic facilities over the past 15 or so years starting with the FB stadium and Performance Center, then all of their other outdoor stadia/fields (baseball, softball, lacrosse, soccer megaplex), and most recently a new basketball arena). So, their facilities are done for a while (unless they expand their FB stadium if/when they need to in order to jump up in conference realignment).

Reaction Score
That is not the whole story. The NCAA Tournament pays for all other sports championships and many other things that benefit all of the schools. The CFP pays for nothing so more money is distributed to the schools. Now that football is a huge moneymaker through the CFP, having the NCAAT subsidize everything the NCAA does seems outdated, but I highly doubt it is going to change.

Many people think the NCAAT media rights are undervalued by the NCAA as they like having the LT media contract which is the same mistake the ACC has made. And one thing that is clear is that the NCAA women's tournament media rights are undervalued and I really can't figure out how the NCAA let that happen.
Mainly by the growth of the women’s tournament j ESPN agreed to a 5 year deal that was $35million to $115Million
That includes over 30 D1 championships ,NIT, and Overseas rights to the men’s tournament .
Since experts estimated the women’s tourney was worth that much alone it was a little disappointing.
I believe that each NCAA unit could be increased to $1million plus
That would take a pool of about $600million
and be a game changer for UConn’s Worth
A run like last year would been worth $30 million to a conference

Reaction Score
last year's NCAA Units were worth around $2M each. The women's tournament does not have a unit system (It was valued at $65M in the new rights deal; most projections had said it could be worth 80-110M alone; which might have lead to women's units existing).

Reaction Score
Well, I am no fan of the NCAA. And don’t you realize this arrangement kills the power basketball schools? and there is no single greater victim in this arrangement than UConn. If the basketball schools kept more the of the tv revenue, they would be much more lucrative and thereby more attractive. If the bball schools kept +/- 90% of the NCAA tournament revenue , UConn would be in a power league tomorrow.
Even Jay Bilas believes BB can break away ala CFP. UConn can be a major player in such a move. It remains farcical that UConn bumps along financially while the likes of Syracuse, BFC get $30mm per year. ( Rutgers getting $65mm is beyond farcical!).
With the ACC blowing up, we'll find some allies to take over March Madness - like UNC, Duke. It's not crazy and if football did it, BB can too!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom