Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 68 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Should I follow?
MFr2W1T.jpg

Yes. This is by far the closest thing we will get to a "key tweet" here. Now and into the future.

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs · May 11
Mark Anderson of LV Review-Journal has good sources on conference realignment. http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/football/peace-now-change-coming-college-sports…

Change is coming in about 10 years when the TV contracts begin to expire and after various lawsuits regarding athletes’ rights are settled. This change could make the most recent rounds of realignment look tamer than Tiger Woods on a Sunday in a major.

“It won’t be just the power five (conferences), it will be 90 to 100 schools,” said Dennis Dodd, national college football columnist for CBSSports.com. “It won’t be the 65 (major colleges) there are now. It won’t be realignment, but separation. The key is will there be enough schools, enough money and enough power to arrange the basketball tournament? They know they can do it in football.”

“I think it’s going to settle in the next 10 years,” Dodd said, “and then you’ll see the separation of the haves and have-nots.”

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs · May 11
Mark Anderson of LV Review-Journal has good sources on conference realignment. http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/football/peace-now-change-coming-college-sports…

Change is coming in about 10 years when the TV contracts begin to expire and after various lawsuits regarding athletes’ rights are settled. This change could make the most recent rounds of realignment look tamer than Tiger Woods on a Sunday in a major.

“It won’t be just the power five (conferences), it will be 90 to 100 schools,” said Dennis Dodd, national college football columnist for CBSSports.com. “It won’t be the 65 (major colleges) there are now. It won’t be realignment, but separation. The key is will there be enough schools, enough money and enough power to arrange the basketball tournament? They know they can do it in football.”

“I think it’s going to settle in the next 10 years,” Dodd said, “and then you’ll see the separation of the haves and have-nots.”

I would like to see a CT reporter interview Dodd on what he knows and what he is speculating, and where he sees UConn in a decade.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can assure you with 100% confidence I am not upstater, nor his opposite.

That I have no feelings about Tom Brady at all is your proof.

And I'll strangle him with his own intestines if he puts me in the same sentence as HFD again.

Reaction Score
I would like to see a CT reporter interview Dodd on what he knows and what he is speculating, and where he sees UConn in a decade.
I'm sure Desi will jump right on it.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if there's no movement for 5-10 years, I've been saying that for some time that UConn should anticipate that scenario and use the time to get football up to par and hopefully continue to improve academically and add research infrastructure. Hard thing will be enduring year after year of "UConn should drop football and move to the Big East" rabble although maybe in a couple years that league will be more widely recognized for the scrap heap it is. (How good will the BE be when Jay Wright eventually takes a P5 job?)

Reaction Score
I don't see how we can afford 10 years of the same. We will run out of money before then.

Reaction Score
I don't see how we can afford 10 years of the same. We will run out of money before then.
It seems to me that most G5 programs trying to keep up with the P5 will struggle, and that the separation has already begun.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
As they said in the Matrix, "there are levels of survival we are prepared to accept".

Reaction Score
And I'll strangle him with his own intestines if he puts me in the same sentence as HFD again.
A strictlyHypothetical, no need to get upset
I think our esteemed Mr Aresco is banking on a bigger payday next contract.
The contract for next year's CCG will be telling
Conference success especially if UConn is part of it will be huge.
UConn is Key because it is the best positioned market wise of the AAC teams.
Plus if he was wise he would be pushing basketball also.4 or 5 teams in the dance annually will help especially with only 11 teams. Sharing in that ever increasing NCAA revenue is great for a G5 type conferences. Every little bit helps.
The AAC conference is still living off past Big East success.
A couple of deep runs by UConn will help. Plus with ever increasing program needs BB will have a bigger role in a new contract.

I think UConn has the ability to survive , but success in football will make that ability a moot point. Back to back 8 win seasons with a nice bowl win will be too much to pass up.
Remember can they , or will they survive are mutually exclusive events.
Also independent of either of those outcomes , is will they have to survive the full 10 years

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I won't be surprised if there's no movement for 5-10 years, I've been saying that for some time that UConn should anticipate that scenario and use the time to get football up to par and hopefully continue to improve academically and add research infrastructure. Hard thing will be enduring year after year of "UConn should drop football and move to the Big East" rabble although maybe in a couple years that league will be more widely recognized for the scrap heap it is. (How good will the BE be when Jay Wright eventually takes a P5 job?)

The really hard thing will be enduring year after year of posters saying that being in a southern mid major conference with bad basketball is a good idea for UConn.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
The really hard thing will be enduring year after year of posters saying that being in a southern mid major conference with bad basketball is a good idea for UConn.
It's the bridge to P5. The Big East is the bridge to turning into Providence West.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
When the suggested alternative is being in an eastern mid major conference with bad basketball, I fully expect my school to continue making its 100% pitch to get into a P5 conference. Just about the only thing that is keeping some UConn fans from going completely mad is a little twitch of hope that we will be in the B1G/ACC fairly soon. Taking that hope away by moving to the Big East would only seal the deal on our eternal death sentence in mid-majordom and thousands more empty seats at every game venue.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

No, the hard thing will be listening to you make this stupid point for another year or 2. Go root for PC or Creighton if you're so sold on the Big East.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No, the hard thing will be listening to you make this stupid point for another year or 2. Go root for PC or Creighton if you're so sold on the Big East.

Or tell us again that Byron Jones isn't athletic enough for the P5.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Why don't you root for Tulane or Tulsa if you think the AAC is such a great spot for UConn? I bet 90% of UConn fans could not get within 50 miles of Tulsa if they were given a blank map of Oklahoma and asked to mark where Tulsa is.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Why don't you root for Tulane or Tulsa if you think the AAC is such a great spot for UConn? I bet 90% of UConn fans could not get within 50 miles of Tulsa if they were given a blank map of Oklahoma and asked to mark where Tulsa is.

Unfortunately they couldn't do that for Lawrence, Kansas, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Iowa City, Iowa or West Lafeyette, Indiana. Fortunately, the geographic aptitude of UCONN fans means little in this debate.

Reaction Score
Guys, just relax. The only way to a P5 conference is through the AAC period. No logical thinker in power at UConn doesn't see it that way as well.

Is the AAC an ideal long term solution for UConn? Of course not and it's not debatable, but it is the only option right now. As the song goes, "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with". (At least until a P5 invite comes!)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

1. Most UConn fans DO root for Tulane and Tulsa, provided they aren't playing UConn. Anything that increase Conference success leads to more exposure and that cannot be anything but good...while UConn is in it.

2. Sucker bet. I'd venture a guess that Oklahoma has counties larger than the state of Connecticut. 50 miles is not a large radius.

Reaction Score
I don't think people are saying the AAC is a great spot for UConn (at least I hope they're not). What I am hearing, and agree with, is the AAC is a better option than moving all olympic sports to the BE and taking footbal to Independant status, downgrading back to FCS, or dropping it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom