Kevin Ollie: Houston Ruined My New Year's, We Ruined Their Chinese New Year's | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie: Houston Ruined My New Year's, We Ruined Their Chinese New Year's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
David Borges thinks it was Ollie's best.

Kevin Ollie:

"They ruined my New Year's, now we just ruined their Chinese New Year's."

We can pretty much stop right there, right? Pretty much the quote of the year right there.

Reaction Score
How on earth would that have ruffled some feathers?
Probably the same people who freaked out about the new Jonathan. If so, talk about a bad couple of days, huh?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Seems like it ruffled some feathers:

Kevin Ollie ‏@CoachKO_UConn 1h
Chinese New Year quote was a Joke at the press conference after the game ..

There was this exchange also-

1. Zack Stone ‏@ZacharyLeeStone1h
    "They ruined my New Year, now we just ruined their Chinese New Year" @CoachKO_UConn well said coach

2. Kevin Ollie ‏@CoachKO_UConn1h
    @ZacharyLeeStone that comment was said as a Joke at the press conference..
Maybe Ollie is just trying to avoid any issues in case someone reads his quote out of context?

Reaction Score
How many Chinese American players has Ollie ever even recruited? I rest my case. Racist.
He has 3 Chinese recruits coming by inter-modal container (illegally). CT Pride has their fake green cards ready.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Clearly Ollie is a racist.
Well that would explain why he didn't stand up for the white husky.

Reaction Score
In 20 years the entire planet will celebrate Chinese New Years...

Reaction Score
Much ado about nothing. Is the Chinese New Year happen to be around this time? Regardless of it is our not, he was simply connecting the dots between a bad loss that took place New Year's Eve, so he was simply making a joke. If he said the Jewish New Year's, would any Jewish people be offended? I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Much ado about nothing. Is the Chinese New Year happen to be around this time? Regardless of it is our not, he was simply connecting the dots between a bad loss that took place New Year's Eve, so he was simply making a joke. If he said the Jewish New Year's, would any Jewish people be offended? I doubt it.
Today is the Chinese New Year, there obviously is nothing remotely offensive about what he said.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Probably the same people who freaked out about the new Jonathan. If so, talk about a bad couple of days, huh?

How in the hell could you freak out (negatively) about this little guy?

Reaction Score
Favorite part of Jonathan XIV is his huge paws. Dude could grab boards.

Has there ever been a female Jonathan? UConn is sexist.

Reaction Score
3 months from now, there will be 10 threads claiming it is quotes like this that are killing uconn's CR status...

Reaction Score
I'll go with the Huskies' win symbolizing fireworks warding off bad spirits (away loss), and welcoming good fortune this lunar new year (starting with home win). After my 2-hour scheduled flight to join my in-laws for Chinese New Year Eve dinner became an 18-hour CNY-migration nightmare, KO's well-intended remark was personally comical.

Clearly, KO meant no harm. However, knowledge of Chinese history and culture, and direct awareness of evolving hyper nationalism, lends itself to appreciate some actual Chinese people might be a bit offended. So be it, and may UCONN the rest of its games, KO sign some studs, and all Connecticut alumni and Huskies' fans experience good fortune this year of the horse, 4712.

To re-assure UCONN fans of no harm, a WeChat photo making the rounds shared these young ladies spelling out Happy New Year: "Xin nian kuai le"!

xm2ypg.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2014-2-2_19-16-33.png
    upload_2014-2-2_19-16-33.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors