Kevin Ollie, Future or Not? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie, Future or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Not a title but we ought not be satisfied with 21 wins and a 12 seed either. We need to be one of the teams in the conversation every year.
I can't help wondering who you're arguing with. Who wants a 12 seed? Who would be "satisfied" with that? Who doesn't want championships? Everyone does, Kevin Ollie more than any fan, I promise.

Reaction Score
Not a title but we ought not be satisfied with 21 wins and a 12 seed either. We need to be one of the teams in the conversation every year.

Like we were with JC right? He never had any off years….ask Jackson State! I would argue to have agreed with jay Bilas and left them out of the conversation, others would say no. The talent and ability says no but they still might so let's take a wait and see approach rather than a "free scooter approach" when nothing is good enough!

Reaction Score
A big man from Europe with some skill would work wonders for us. He can be a little slow and his shoes can be nailed to the floor, but if he can shoot and catch the ball in the post, this team will thrive around him. Just no beef and no skill in the post right now. I hope KO will look into it.

You just described Arvydas Sabonis. I don't think he has much eligibility left though.

Reaction Score
dsturdy5 said:
You just described Arvydas Sabonis. I don't think he has much eligibility left though.

I was thinking of him. However, he was a great player, I just want a guy with a decent shot and good hands. The focus on getting the best athletes is going overboard in college basketball. When you have plenty of fire power, a big guy with good hands and the ability to make a layup is all you really need in the middle. I am in the camp that Wolf would be a big help right now. I know it isn't a certainty that he'd make us much better, but I am certain that he has some skills our current bigs lack.

Reaction Score
Like we were with JC right? He never had any off years….ask Jackson State! I would argue to have agreed with jay Bilas and left them out of the conversation, others would say no. The talent and ability says no but they still might so let's take a wait and see approach rather than a "free scooter approach" when nothing is good enough!

Yup, JC's last year we had Drummond and Roscoe Smith and still couldn't rebound. Sometimes the chemistry fails.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Championships aren't the goal UConn should just say screw it and join the NEC or better yet a recreational league at the Willimantic Y. I can't believe the levels some people are willing to go to to give Ollie cover. As I said, I'm willing to wait in evaluating him for at least another season but if we're not playing to win it all, we shouldn't bother playing at all

Having the goal of a championship and setting championship as the bar for success / failure are two different things.

Tom Izzo is a hall of fame coach who has one championship, Kevin Ollie is in the middle of his very first tournament eligible season.

Its so nice that you are willing to wait another year. You are a peach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ollie needs Metamucil. He looks constipated. That being said this team may lack size, but that is no reason for them to not box out and fight for the ball. Bazz should not be the top rebounder. Omar may have to sit more. Apparently his hip issues have caused him to change hi shooting mechanics. I am not a fan of Ollie's substitution patterns, but I also think there is not a whole lot to choose from in the frontcourt. This was a stupid loss and everyone has one of those in a season. It's behind us. Boat saved our bacon in the first half from being down 30. Bazz woke up from his trip to Narnia in the second half. We will be better.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If Championships aren't the goal UConn should just say screw it and join the NEC or better yet a recreational league at the Willimantic Y. I can't believe the levels some people are willing to go to to give Ollie cover. As I said, I'm willing to wait in evaluating him for at least another season but if we're not playing to win it all, we shouldn't bother playing at all
Goals and expectations are two different things.

Quite frankly, you sound like a self-entitled weeny rather than someone enjoying the entertainment of being a fan.

It's a long season. Don't ruin it for yourself by being a slave to your expectations. This team doesn't deserve fans who feel no satisfaction in victories, and are only motivated to speak by the urge to complain.

Ungrateful bastard.

Reaction Score
Goals and expectations are two different things.

Quite frankly, you sound like a self-entitled weeny rather than someone enjoying the entertainment of being a fan.

It's a long season. Don't ruin it for yourself by being a slave to your expectations. This team doesn't deserve fans who feel no satisfaction in victories, and are only motivated to speak by the urge to complain.

Ungrateful bastard.

I keep asking people, who would you prefer as coach? I am not limiting this question at all. Carolina's coach? Syracuse's? Indiana's? VCU's? Freescooter, it's well known, prefers Shaka Smart to Ollie. How is Shaka doing this year?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I keep asking people, who would you prefer as coach? I am not limiting this question at all. Carolina's coach? Syracuse's? Indiana's? VCU's? Freescooter, it's well known, prefers Shaka Smart to Ollie. How is Shaka doing this year?
Once freescooter makes up his mind, there's no changing it. He's stunted intellectually that way.

Reaction Score
You think Jim Calhoun ever came to a season thinking winning a championship is too high a bar? I can tell you, he never did. Not when he was coaching at Northeastern. Not when he was trying to resuscitate a UConn program that had fallen off the map in Perno's last couple of years. You actually think Jim Calhoun would have not smacked you in the mouth if you said, "We'll Jim, you're not a Hall of Fame Coach so we'll never expect you to win anything.?" I have higher expectations of Ollie than any of you guys do. Win championships. No excuses.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Scooter must have missed the first dozen years of Jim Calhoun's tenure here, when he spent most of his time explaining why it wasn't fair to judge the success or failure of a season or a program based on whether or not you won the National Championship.

Reaction Score
Scooter must have missed the first dozen years of Jim Calhoun's tenure here, when he spent most of his time explaining why it wasn't fair to judge the success or failure of a season or a program based on whether or not you won the National Championship.

I'm fairly certain Bobby Knight also said this.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
This thread is disappointing in many regards, but I'm glad to see that many of the Boneyard faithful have stepped in to counter the chicken littles who can't suck up a truly awful loss. Yes, Houston is a bad team. Yes, they were missing their starting backcourt, 2 top 100 recruits (House and Rose), Yes, we only played one half of basketball while Houston got to play two halves. Yes, our offense has become somewhat stagant. Yes, our big men are disappointing and can't rebound. Yes, Calhoun is suffering from something.

Now that we have that out of the way. Let's take stock of a few things. We are 11-2. We are a ranked team. We are getting solid Top 100 recruits, and maybe some steals in Lubin and Cassell, although we need to land some more talented bigs. We have an extraordinary fan base who cares about the program and the kids that play for it. Bottom line, we are relevant on the national scene, despite conference realignment, post season bans, lost scholarships, and mass defections.

JC built UConn into a powerhouse, but we lost in the Great Alaskan Shootout in '95 or something to Ohio University,. We lost in the '08 NCAA tournament to San Diego. We lost to Central FL in the Puerto Rican Shootout. happens.

End of the day, our kids tie the shoe laces on their sneakers, the same as the other 350 NCAA Division 1 teams, and when you play a game, talent, stats, records, good lucking alumni, ugly cheerleaders, attendance, etc. aren't what win games. Its the performance of five players when they are on the floor that dictates the result of the game. We are dealing with college kids, who are trying to live with all of our expectations, build a career for themselves, competing for playing time and usage, while trying not to fail out of school or get caught smoking a joint like mots other college kids. They work incredibly hard and sometimes they have a bad day at the office.

Whether we should have beat Houston or not is irrelevant - we didn't. If we wing a national championship this year, a loss to Houston means nothing. If we don't do well in the NCAA tournament, this loss still means next to nothing in the scope of a season and KO's head coaching experience.

KO is a winner. Our team wins way more than it loses. We are in games at the end and have a chance to win. Finally, we score a lot of baskets out of timeouts, where KO is setting plays. He is a good coach and he's not going anywhere. I loved him as a college player, NBA player, representative of our university, assistant coach, and now head coach.

As sports fans go, in spite of the mess we were in a few years back, we're blessed to be where we are. We have a winning program with an identity that manages to consistently win more than 95% of the rest of college basketball. I feel blessed to have KO as a coach, blessed to have the players we do, blessed to have this program to root for. This New Year, Boneyard take stock of what you have instead of a stupid loss to a game we lost.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I generally would like to see this thread removed from the forum. Bash the game all you want, we deserve some criticism. But to call out Ollie and his future here is just asinine and ludicrous.
Nobody is calling out Ollie, the original question was can Ollie land a big man that can help UCONN win a championship with the already stellar guard play UC is known for. If not, his future could be short lived.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I feel like freescooter would fit in as a Cuse fan better than he does here

Reaction Score
Considering all things, how you can't look at the state of the program and not be fin pumped is beyond me. We could of took a nosedive that took YEARS to get out of, if ever who knows.. Instead , we are top 20, plenty of talent here, talent coming, new facility coming, fans haven't gone away, and a man leading us that Calhoun trusted to give the keys to.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think there's a lot to be said for the power of believing. Calhoun believed at a time when it seemed unrealistic and we dreamed along with him. Ollie believes, and now I'm dreaming along with him. The players believe.

I believe we'll get there again. I don't know whether it will be this season or not, but it doesn't feel far away, and that's the key.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There is also a lot to be said for having at least one legitimate interior player. I don't believe we have one...yet.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I don't know how you question the coaching of a guy that went 20-10 after losing Andre Drummond, Roscoe Smith, Alex Oriakihi and Bradley, during a year where they could not go to a tournament. LAST YEAR!

Because of the loss to Houston? Better fire a bunch of coaches first. Please. The only coach to be mad at about this lack of front court is Jim Calhoun.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't know how you question the coaching of a guy that went 20-10 after losing Andre Drummond, Roscoe Smith, Alex Oriakihi and Bradley, during a year where they could not go to a tournament. LAST YEAR!

Because of the loss to Houston? Better fire a bunch of coaches first. Please. The only coach to be mad at about this lack of front court is Jim Calhoun.
Nah! It was Emmert and cancer! No UConn coaches.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
J

Joking?
No. The APR bogus situation reduced scholarships, created a postseason ban, and that impacted recruiting. JC suffered his third bout of cancer and I'm sure kids were wondering how long he was going to be at UConn. Opposing coaches would probably say something like JC's a great coach so you couldn't be wrong playing for him as long as he doesn't have to retire because of his cancer. Recruiting is ugly. Those things plus his illness probably impacted his ability to contact recruits are the major reason recruiting suffered recently imo.

Reaction Score
Didn't bother to read most of the posts after reading this thread. It is silly. Ollie is doing a great job. He too is learning on the job, think about what other coaches could have done what he's done already, without any head coaching experience. Yes, we do need to start landing some top bigs, but I think that will come. We already are establishing a pipeline of elite wings. Patience, patience, patience. I think Govan would be a great start if we can land him. Maybe Lubin is the real deal and Nolan/Brimah/Facey will improve next year, but yes, we need more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom