Kevin Ollie Fiery Coach | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie Fiery Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I loved the fact he got in Giffey's face when he didn't hustle after the loose ball that lead to the fast break against Cincy. I have nothing against Niels but I was concerned that Ollie would be one of those passive, quiet coaches that refs would take advantage of. I also liked the account that his postgame rant just about took the paint off of the walls. He seems to have very high standards and knows what he expects of his players. I feel we are in very good hands.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Somewhere K.O. decided that fire and brimstone has a place on the sideline.

Reaction Score
He did seem a little too passive last year and at times early in this year, but I think he's becoming more vocal on the bench as he grows more comfortable in his role as head coach.

One thing I'd like to see a little more of is getting in the ear of the officials, steadily and consistently throughout the game. His explosion against Louisville was a breath of fresh air, but would be more effective if meted out in small doses over the course of the game, rather than bottling up and releasing all at once.

I like the direction that he's heading as a coach and feel great about him going forward. Somewhat tangential to this, I was impressed with some of the sets he drew up against Cincy. He's getting better at the X's and O's aspect as well.

Reaction Score
Too bad both our big's couldn't finish on two great passes in the pick and roll. Hopefully with time they will be able to finish on the rolls to the basket.

Reaction Score
I feel he knows the X's & O's. It's what to implement with this team that is the challenge. When the plays work it's a wonderful thing.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I loved the fact he got in Giffey's face when he didn't hustle after the loose ball that lead to the fast break against Cincy. I have nothing against Niels but I was concerned that Ollie would be one of those passive, quiet coaches that refs would take advantage of. I also liked the account that his postgame rant just about took the paint off of the walls. He seems to have very high standards and knows what he expects of his players. I feel we are in very good hands.
It was great to see Coach KO fired up...but saying Giffey "didn't hustle after the loose ball" is incorrect. Giff should have and could have dove directly at the ball but there was a cincy player who clearly was going to get there first, so Gif held up to avoid the foul, not because he wasn't hustling. Poor decision on his point, because a foul would have been much preferable to a fast break layup. Now Boat gave a less that 100% attempt to get the ball and then absolutely did not hustle back to stop the Cincy player on the break, so I do think it was unjust to only ream Giff (this was also the first of three really poor plays that Boat made in a 3 minute span that led to Cincy layups, the most aggregious of which was saving the ball right to Jackson under the hoop for a layup...6th grader's know not to do that!)

Reaction Score
Ollie reminds me of the Hulk. All it takes is a lack of effort type mistake and he transforms. If the Hulk doesn't appear then things are going good.

Reaction Score
When he first came to UConn people (myself included) were wondering if his coaching style was too laid back. We're starting to see the Calhoun in him . I can't say I'm disappointed. We are extremely talented and can compete with any team in the country. Losses like Cinci should be an outrage . I'm not willing to accept the "good game guys." talk. We were given a victory on a silver platter and blew it. Injuries aren't an excuse. I don't care if Kilpatrick is really good. Elton Brand was really good

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
When he first came to UConn people (myself included) were wondering if his coaching style was too laid back. We're starting to see the Calhoun in him . I can't say I'm disappointed. We are extremely talented and can compete with any team in the country. Losses like Cinci should be an outrage . I'm not willing to accept the "good game guys." talk. We were given a victory on a silver platter and blew it. Injuries aren't an excuse. I don't care if Kilpatrick is really good. Elton Brand was really good

An outrage? So if you are outraged all the time, the Huskies will never lose a game? I think that KO will set the standards for acceptable effort and play and fans should support the team even when disappointed with the results.

Reaction Score
An outrage? So if you are outraged all the time, the Huskies will never lose a game? I think that KO will set the standards for acceptable effort and play and fans should support the team even when disappointed with the results.

It's possible to support a team and be outraged with them blowing a game

Reaction Score
Marat said:
What does Seth Davis mean by this? "On a related note, is it me or is Kevin Ollie's demeanor a lot less calm than it was last season? And I don't mean in a good way. " http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...art-jim-boeheim-syracuse-duke-north-carolina/

I'm sure Seth was just focusing on that one outburst when we got jobbed. That was out of character. Regardless, presumably at JC's urging, KO is exhibiting some fire and passion to drive players and intimidate refs. It has to be done or everyone will walk all over him. He's learning.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Seth Davis is a ducking Dook alum, who cares what he has to say?

Reaction Score
I too, think UCONN should have won the game, but SN was throwing up a lot of bricks at the end of the game trying to take it to the house. Not much you can say about that. It seemed every shot was off target in the last 3 mins of the game. Baz usually is good in that situation, but in this case he was not.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I guess Seth Davis never saw Mike Krzyzewski lose it? here has been many a time I thought he was going to pop a jugular vein. If a coach is going to be a nice, quiet guy all of the time, the refs will ignore him. Playing the refs is part of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom