Kentucky | The Boneyard

Kentucky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They have 1 senior on scholarship and have I think 5 or 6 commits and are still recruiting Gordon, Randle and Wiggins. What if these freshmen they have want to stay, what happens?

Does cal force some kids out?

How do they make the numbers work?

Reaction Score
Of course Noel is gone but I haven't been too impressed with the other stud freshman, Poythress has the build and athleticsm but he hasn't been too impressive, I'm not a fan of Archie Goodwin's game. I guess Kentucky will make the tournament at 20-10 but they really don't have any quality wins, Missouri is their signature win. They will lose 1st round this year and it will be interesting to see what happens when their huge and talented recruiting class comes in.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
better coaching job this year, cal or ollie? i just had to ;)

Reaction Score
Of course Noel is gone but I haven't been too impressed with the other stud freshman, Poythress has the build and athleticsm but he hasn't been too impressive, I'm not a fan of Archie Goodwin's game. I guess Kentucky will make the tournament at 20-10 but they really don't have any quality wins, Missouri is their signature win. They will lose 1st round this year and it will be interesting to see what happens when their huge and talented recruiting class comes in.

I think you can probably pencil in Poythress, Goodwin and Cauley-Stein as gone.

U

UCONNfan1

I think you can probably pencil in Poythress, Goodwin and Cauley-Stein as gone.
I'll be curious to see how high those kids go. Let's be honest - Kentucky has been recruiting studs lately. Guys who are jumping to the NBA after 1 year and are doing decent to very well. If the scouts/GMs think those guys have potential, I can see them taking a chance. I can't stand Kentucky - and the slime who is the HC is nauseating, but you can't argue with the recent success. I was hoping they'd be "last 4 out" this year.

By the way, Ollie has coached circles around the Squid.

Reaction Score
If Wiggins, Gordan, and Randle go elsewhere then they will be average again next year. The Harrison twins won't be enough to make their team great.

Reaction Score
If Wiggins, Gordan, and Randle go elsewhere then they will be average again next year. The Harrison twins won't be enough to make their team great.
They also have lee, young and Johnson who are top 25 recruits

Reaction Score
Hopefully Wiggins goes to Florida State so that the rest of college basketball will have a chance. Would be surprised if he is not the best player in the country next year with all of the hype he has been getting.

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see how Cal's one-and-done recruiting strategy shakes out over the next few years. His best teams at Memphis and Kentucky have had a mix of star freshmen and experienced guys who developed over their college careers.

The 07-08 Memphis team had Rose as a freshman, but also Douglas-Roberts, Dorsey, and Dozier as upperclassmen. The 09-10 Kentucky team had Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe as freshmen and Patterson as a star upperclassman. Last year's Kentucky team had the three star freshmen and experienced talent in Jones, Lamb, and Liggins.

Cal didn't primarily recruit one-and-done's at Memphis, and he always seemed to have some good, experienced players on his rosters there. I think the presence of experienced talent on the two Kentucky teams I cited above was a bit of a fluke. Patterson and Liggins were holdovers from the Gillespie period, and I'm not sure if Jones and Lamb stay at Kentucky for their sophomore seasons without the threat of a lockout looming over the upcoming NBA season. Those Kentucky teams are still really good without those guys, but the talent level would be a notch or two lower.

Roy Williams is perhaps the only recruiter more impressive than Cal. For all of the top recruits Cal hauls in, I think Roy's convincing lottery picks to return to college is even more extraordinary. That way, he gets talent and experience.

Reaction Score
Ryan Harrow's situation is pretty interesting. He's not NBA ready, he won't start next year, and he's already transferred once. Does he come back and accept a demotion? Does he leave and play in Europe? I wonder if his plan was to be one-and-done at Kentucky all along. Otherwise, he had to know that the next wave of players was coming.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see how Cal's one-and-done recruiting strategy shakes out over the next few years. His best teams at Memphis and Kentucky have had a mix of star freshmen and experienced guys who developed over their college careers.

The 07-08 Memphis team had Rose as a freshman, but also Douglas-Roberts, Dorsey, and Dozier as upperclassmen. The 09-10 Kentucky team had Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe as freshmen and Patterson as a star upperclassman. Last year's Kentucky team had the three star freshmen and experienced talent in Jones, Lamb, and Liggins.

Cal didn't primarily recruit one-and-done's at Memphis, and he always seemed to have some good, experienced players on his rosters there. I think the presence of experienced talent on the two Kentucky teams I cited above was a bit of a fluke. Patterson and Liggins were holdovers from the Gillespie period, and I'm not sure if Jones and Lamb stay at Kentucky for their sophomore seasons without the threat of a lockout looming over the upcoming NBA season. Those Kentucky teams are still really good without those guys, but the talent level would be a notch or two lower.

Roy Williams is perhaps the only recruiter more impressive than Cal. For all of the top recruits Cal hauls in, I think Roy's convincing lottery picks to return to college is even more extraordinary. That way, he gets talent and experience.
Well, we now know just how easy the academic life is for a UNC hoops player.

Cal ran off a bunch of kids when he took the UK job, he will do it again.

Reaction Score

It's not impressive, it just shows what a self righteous scumbag he is. Even Cal doesn't do that. He is putting his own self interest ahead of the player's.

I honestly think Roy is worse than Cal. At least Cal doesn't hide the scum. Roy tries to hide the scum behind this facade of a good ole' southern gentleman. It's infuriating.

Reaction Score
It's not impressive, it just shows what a self righteous scumbag he is. Even Cal doesn't do that. He is putting his own self interest ahead of the player's.

I honestly think Roy is worse than Cal. At least Cal doesn't hide the scum. Roy tries to hide the scum behind this facade of a good ole' southern gentleman. It's infuriating.
My compliment of Roy was tongue-in-cheek. Hard to see that with me sitting behind a computer screen.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Roy is worse than Cal--but Cal is a much better coach than Roy.

For as much as I dislike Cal, he's done it in a couple of places that didn't sell itself: UMass and Memphis. Roy has worked at Kansas and UNC. He should have had multiple titles at Kansas--forget 2003, his 1998 team with LaFrenz and Pierce...they didn't even get out of the first weekend!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Roy is worse than Cal--but Cal is a much better coach than Roy.

For as much as I dislike Cal, he's done it in a couple of places that didn't sell itself: UMass and Memphis. Roy has worked at Kansas and UNC. He should have had multiple titles at Kansas--forget 2003, his 1998 team with LaFrenz and Pierce...they didn't even get out of the first weekend!
I don't remember UMass and Memphis going to the Final Four. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc