Kentucky to Hire Mark Pope LOL | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Kentucky to Hire Mark Pope LOL

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Which Kentucky players will he retain?

Will he bring any BYU players with him?

Can he get portal players with the chaos at Kentucky?

I don’t envy him at all. Would love nothing more than watching Kentucky have a season like Louisville. Have not liked this fan base since they drove out Tubby because he couldn’t recruit five stars. Let’s see what happens now.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess he won't be returning to Provo anytime soon. Who does this in the arena of the school you're leaving? SMH what an butthole.

The clown show is in full force in Big Blue Nation. Get the popcorn.

Mark-Pope-clown.jpg

Reaction Score
"Hey son, would you mind foregoing being drafted in the Top 5 so you can stick around and do my college bud a solid?"
Not saying he will but Clingan has been mocked in the top 5-10 picks and Bilas reported there is a chance he stays. There’s reasons to go or stay for every kid and it’s their decision at the end of the day. Has nothing to do with “doing a solid”.

Reaction Score
How about Mark Pope's take on Hamilton?

Thank god Hurley doesn't rap.

His cringy antics aside, I honestly think they made a great hire in spite of themselves. This guy cares about UK, he ran a great offense at BYU, he's passionate, smart, yada, yada. We just don't know about recruiting but it's Kentucky and he'll have assistants to help there.

Reaction Score
Getting a single digit seed in the tournament at a school where pre-marital sex will get you kicked off the team is the finest coaching job i’ve ever seen.

Love Hurley but.. Was Mark Pope the real COTY?
I know you're making a joke and it's funny but I don't get all the people rationalizing this as a great hire and Pope as a great coach. BYU is a program that's made the NCAA over 50% of the time going back to 89-90 under three different coaches before Mark Pope. Dave Rose, Steve Cleveland, and Roger Reid...not exactly household names. Pope did nothing special there, never won a tournament game, and never won a conference or tournament title in the WAC or WCC.

Paying this guy $5.5 million per year is insanity, he'll be making more money than all but 5 or 6 coaches and making more than Hurley currently makes, Scott Drew, Kelvin Samson, Nate Oats. Hubert Davis makes $2.6 million.

Reaction Score
I know you're making a joke and it's funny but I don't get all the people rationalizing this as a great hire and Pope as a great coach. BYU is a program that's made the NCAA over 50% of the time going back to 89-90 under three different coaches before Mark Pope. Dave Rose, Steve Cleveland, and Roger Reid...not exactly household names. Pope did nothing special there, never won a tournament game, and never won a conference or tournament title in the WAC or WCC.

Paying this guy $5.5 million per year is insanity, he'll be making more money than all but 5 or 6 coaches and making more than Hurley currently makes, Scott Drew, Kelvin Samson, Nate Oats. Hubert Davis makes $2.6 million.

He’s definitely a risky hire. But I watched a few byu games and they run a great offense and seem really well coached. Also imo you wanna hire a guy who wants the job.

They definitely overpaid him by a mile. No argument there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While it has been fun, I think the Kentucky horse has been dead for a few hours. Which other program warrants mockery and derision?

Reaction Score
Getting a single digit seed in the tournament at a school where pre-marital sex will get you kicked off the team is the finest coaching job i’ve ever seen.

Love Hurley but.. Was Mark Pope the real COTY?
You get expelled for drinking tea at BYU

Reaction Score
The worst thing for Kentucky fans is how utterly small-time they look, and they know it.

When JC abruptly retired and got KO as his nepotism hire, it made us look small time, as if we were afraid of a national search resulting in this sort of outcome, i.e. getting lukewarm interest and panic-hiring a C-lister. Kentucky is steering directly into it, which is even worse.

When Dean Smith did the same thing, did UNC look small?

Reaction Score
UK fans had bigger dreams.

And I'd be lying if I said I don't understand their frustration. No, Dan Hurley was never exiting UConn after back-to-back national championships. And I'm not surprised that, in the end, Scott Drew just couldn't pull the trigger and leave the Baylor program he built from nothing. So I don't think it's reasonable to be frustrated that Barnhart couldn't land either of those coaches. But there's a big gap between where this search started and where it ended. And, frankly, any fanbase would be frustrated to watch a search close with the hiring of a man who was really only a candidate because he wore the jersey three decades earlier (Pope) when it began with hopes of either hiring the man who won the 2021 NCAA Tournament (Drew) or the man who won the 2023 and 2024 NCAA Tournaments (Hurley).

Reaction Score
Who does this in the arena of the school you're leaving? SMH what an butthole.
I knew people don't read threads before posting, but I guess there's no reason to keep replying to posts like this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom