OT: - Kentucky Derby | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Kentucky Derby

Reaction Score
Oh I just read about it. That sucks. No mile and a half. Will they try to keep it up there? Everybody loves Saratoga.
No it will definitely be going back. They're spending millions to upgrade Belmont.

Reaction Score
No it will definitely be going back. They're spending millions to upgrade Belmont.
I believe the plan is Saratoga for 2024 and 2025 and then the new Belmont will be ready.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They are going to make the infield accessible at Belmont. That sounds promising.

Reaction Score
Oh I just read about it. That sucks. No mile and a half. Will they try to keep it up there? Everybody loves Saratoga.
Why can't they run 1.5 mile race there? I know the track is only 1 1/8...Is it an issue with not having a place to start on a straightaway?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why can't they run 1.5 mile race there? I know the track is only 1 1/8...Is it an issue with not having a place to start on a straightaway?
Yup.

Reaction Score
seems like it just becomes another race now...the Belmont is special because of the length of the track...
Sure but not much they can do and even at mile and half without the triple crown at stake it can just be another race.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
seems like it just becomes another race now...the Belmont is special because of the length of the track...
OTOH, I think the race will have a better field this year. US trainers hate prepping for distance races and they aren't very good at it. The shortened distance might keep a few from getting scared off.

Reaction Score
Saratoga in June should be beautiful. Was talking with a friend that rents her place during track season. She’s getting 1800/ night for Belmont…way more than Travers

I’m sure there will be lots of interest

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The wire really determines where the starting gate is - the starting gate would be in a weird spot if they were to try to run a mile and a half on dirt at Saratoga. Knowing where gate is set for the Travers, the Belmont would basically start with little run up to the turn - some horses would have to run much further than others, so no chance of a fair start.

Reaction Score
The wire really determines where the starting gate is - the starting gate would be in a weird spot if they were to try to run a mile and a half on dirt at Saratoga. Knowing where gate is set for the Travers, the Belmont would basically start with little run up to the turn - some horses would have to run much further than others, so no chance of a fair start.
Happy to admit ignorance but can starting gate be angled to eliminate distance inequities?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Happy to admit ignorance but can starting gate be angled to eliminate distance inequities?
If the gate isn't straight, I'm pretty sure chaos would ensue. It's not like track where all the runners stay in their lane until they overcome the stagger.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Muth will run in the Preakness. I really thought he would earn enough points to make the Derby.

Watch the Arkansas Derby. Muth was a beast and there was a lot of talent in that race.

Muth will probably be my favorite regardless of the line

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think Muth will run in the Preakness. I really thought he would earn enough points to make the Derby.
Muth didn't earn any points because Churchill Downs banned the trainer from the Derby, making the horse ineligible. CD was sick of Baffert suing them.

Reaction Score
Muth didn't earn any points because Churchill Downs banned the trainer from the Derby, making the horse ineligible. CD was sick of Baffert suing them.

Still a nice horse.

Reaction Score

Watch the Arkansas Derby. Muth was a beast and there was a lot of talent in that race.

Got it.

Muth is now out of the money on my sheet. Thanks.

Reaction Score

Did not watch the race do this is the first time I’ve seen this. I didn’t realize Brian O’Connell does horse racing as well. That HAS to be a DQ

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did not watch the race do this is the first time I’ve seen this. I didn’t realize Brian O’Connell does horse racing as well. That HAS to be a DQ
I'm thinking it Sierra Leone won the bob they would have taken a look at it...and dropped him to third. And I would probably have been put on suicide watch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

For a mile and an eighth track, to run a mile and a half, you would have to start the race on the far turn. You’d have to put the gate on the outside rail and load outside in, so that everyone is as far out on the turn as possible. Even if you put in a temporary rail, (which you can’t do because the horses will be coming back through there in 100 seconds and you can’t be on the track), getting everyone off the turn and into the stretch the first time will be a mess.

Ironically, mile and a quarter races at Belmont are tricky for the same reason - you start at the end of a turn.

I'm thinking it Sierra Leone won the bob they would have taken a look at it...and dropped him to third. And I would probably have been put on suicide watch.

Watching it again, he should have come down and placed third. Gaffalione can’t have his hands on the other horse and he did a few times. Put Irad Ortiz on either one of those two horses and he probably wins.

Reaction Score

Probably will be close to odds on. Muth beat Mystik Dan by close to 10 lengths.

Mindframe is an interesting next horse up. Wouldn't be shocked to see him in the Belmont. Might be the most talented none Muth/Nysos 3 year old. The rest of the crop really is not great. Forever Young is going back to Japan (hopefully comes back for the Classic) he's the most exciting prospect out of the derby. Sierra Leone has some serious lugging in issues and just feels slow. Mystik Dan is a great play against next time out with these perfect rail trips. It was a really slow derby. They went a second slower than the rich strike derby. 100 Beyer for mystik Dan and that feels dressed up based on other times on the day. A lot of people think the fig should be mid 90s but that's bad business for DRF and the Derby.

Thorpedo Anna could have a Rachel Alexandra type campaign if they want. She feels like a very good horse. Might be spicy to see her run against the boys the rest of the year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom