Kelly Oubre to cut list to 5 or 6 after the Peach Jam | The Boneyard

Kelly Oubre to cut list to 5 or 6 after the Peach Jam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn is another option and Ollie is targeting Oubre along with forwardsLeRon Black and Malik Price-Martin, among others.“Coach Ollie’s a great guy,” Oubre said. “He thrives in the guard offense. He likes to develop lot of guards in the past so I could see myself excelling in that offense also.”

Reaction Score
In that article, Zags says Ollie was at the Peach Jam today, but I saw on twitter that he was at the Breakout Classic today watching Perkins.

If Ollie can be in two places at once, that's definitely a leg up for us in recruiting.
Thought the same.

Reaction Score
first time i have heard us mentioned with Malik Price Martin in awhile. I got the impression we could of had him as a 2013 commit but backed off.

Reaction Score
first time i have heard us mentioned with Malik Price Martin in awhile. I got the impression we could of had him as a 2013 commit but backed off.

seems like his ranking has gone downhill

Reaction Score
seems like his ranking has gone downhill

From ESPN:

Most Intriguing Big
Malik Price-Martin (Miami/Northeast)
2014, C/F, 6-9, 215
Offers from the likes of Connecticut, Kansas State, Louisville, Memphis, Miami, NC State and Tennessee.
For a prospect who has been well known on the circuit for a seemingly long time, Price-Martin still has a ton of upside left to discover. In one moment he'll go to the post and tantalize scouts with advanced footwork to get to his jump hook, then he'll show a soft touch that extends away from the basket. He had power and length around the rim, which allowed him to complete one of the biggest dunks of the first day of camp. Price-Martin also ran the floor well, galloping up and down the court with long, graceful strides. On the opposite end of the spectrum, though, was his disinterest in rebounding the ball. This guy is highly talented with a potentially very bright future if he commits himself to maximizing his tools.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UConn is another option and Ollie is targeting Oubre along with forwardsLeRon Black and Malik Price-Martin, among others.“Coach Ollie’s a great guy,” Oubre said. “He thrives in the guard offense. He likes to develop lot of guards in the past so I could see myself excelling in that offense also.

I love this. Only a few years under the belt and Ollie is being talked about by recruits as a guy who's been developing guards for years. Good stuff for UConn.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what position Oubre is being seen as playing, but probably a "wing." It would be a lot of fun to get another elite wing to complement DH...I see Devin Robinson filling such a spot as well. If I recall correctly, I think that Oubre is not quite as tall as those other two and he seems to think of himself as a guard as well. He seems to play with a lot of aggressiveness and I would not be surprised if he would rebound well.

So many possibilities.....fun to contemplate the possible combinations. I would most wish for a top PG to be able to hold all the pieces together (e.g. Perkins), but I'd guess that Joseph, McLaughlin, and others would be quite good as well.

Reaction Score
I love this. Only a few years under the belt and Ollie is being talked about by recruits as a guy who's been developing guards for years. Good stuff for UConn.

That caught my eye as well. That's great if he has that reputation among guards, and they're attracted to his offense oriented around a smaller lineup (than we're used to under JC) and perimeter play.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what position Oubre is being seen as playing, but probably a "wing." It would be a lot of fun to get another elite wing to complement DH...I see Devin Robinson filling such a spot as well. If I recall correctly, I think that Oubre is not quite as tall as those other two and he seems to think of himself as a guard as well. He seems to play with a lot of aggressiveness and I would not be surprised if he would rebound well.

So many possibilities.....fun to contemplate the possible combinations. I would most wish for a top PG to be able to hold all the pieces together (e.g. Perkins), but I'd guess that Joseph, McLaughlin, and others would be quite good as well.

I think we need a more physical presence to play the 4 for us -- a beefier, more paint-oriented version of Hamilton. A guy who can knock down 3's and attack the rim off the dribble, but also rebound.

And yes, we also need a PG.

Reaction Score
I think we need a more physical presence to play the 4 for us -- a beefier, more paint-oriented version of Hamilton. A guy who can knock down 3's and attack the rim off the dribble, but also rebound.

A guy who can play inside and rebound, but also make 3's and take people off the dribble? Does LeBron have any eligibility left?

I'm not picking on you - there just aren't many guys who fit that description. College power forwards tend to be either a Jeff Adrien type or a DeAndre Daniels type. Anybody who can do both won't be in college very long.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
A guy who can play inside and rebound, but also make 3's and take people off the dribble? Does LeBron have any eligibility left?

I'm not picking on you - there just aren't many guys who fit that description. College power forwards tend to be either a Jeff Adrien type or a DeAndre Daniels type. Anybody who can do both won't be in college very long.

It would be nice to have at least one guy with size who could come in and bang for rebounds and play solid interior defense against physical opponents. We can leave the 3's to one of the many other perimeter guys.

D

Deleted member 3149

And yes, we also need a PG.
We do need a pg. I don't get it, if you're a 5 star pg in the class of 2014, why wouldn't you want to commit to uconn to be the face of the program. Shabazz, Kemba, AJ, Marcus, Taliek, Khalid.....whoever is next has a chance to make their mark. Not to mention, it'll be the first year of the practice facility. Oh, and all under coach Ollie, who's the man and a great Pg developer

Reaction Score
Browsing the UNC boards it seemed like they didn't think they were recruiting him, but that Oubre really liked them. We know Louisville and Kansas have been on him hard. With UK recently offering, I'd guess that his top 5 will consist of UConn, UK, UNC, Kansas, and Louisville.

Reaction Score

I meant more the DD type. I think Hamilton isn't big enough to play that role, he's more of a pure college 3. I'm imagining someone with the physique and game of a Stanley Robinson or a Roscoe Smith, maybe a little more skilled. Sticks and Roscoe were credible defenders and rebounders against college 4's, but had some outside game as well.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I wish Brown at SMU wasn't such a vagabond. I would be excited about he is doing in the SMU. But you know he is not going to stay past 3-4 years. TO bad. A good SMU would beef up the conference.

Reaction Score
I think there is something missing from the "what type of player" conversation that's been going on. In my opinion, a lot of the speculation on need is based upon the historical UConn team, and not on the type of team that KO may want to build. What we'll be witnessing this summer is completely new. The class that KO targets (and hopefully lands) will be an indication of the type of basketball that KO will want to play. Up until this point, he's worked with the pieces that he has and attempted to maximize them -- but clearly he's got the opportunity to bring in his own fresh crop and angle the team in the direction that he himself (and not him & JC) wants.

Disclaimer: I understand he has done some recruiting before this summer -- I'm strictly talking as a HC.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I think there is something missing from the "what type of player" conversation that's been going on. In my opinion, a lot of the speculation on need is based upon the historical UConn team, and not on the type of team that KO may want to build. What we'll be witnessing this summer is completely new. The class that KO targets (and hopefully lands) will be an indication of the type of basketball that KO will want to play. Up until this point, he's worked with the pieces that he has and attempted to maximize them -- but clearly he's got the opportunity to bring in his own fresh crop and angle the team in the direction that he himself (and not him & JC) wants.

Disclaimer: I understand he has done some recruiting before this summer -- I'm strictly talking as a HC.

Utilizing secret analytic programs with things like algorithms and pseudology, I have ascertained that Kevin Ollie has developed a strategy for recruiting as follows:

-go out and get a lot of the very best players at as many positions as possible and coach the ones that come in a way that makes sense for the make-up of the team he ended up with.
(Shhhhh.....don't let him know that I am on to him)

Reaction Score
Oubre had a rough second game. 2-14, 0-8 from 3, 1-4 from ft, 5 points in losing cause.

Game scores and box score at nikeeyb.com. Click on peach jam .

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
I meant more the DD type. I think Hamilton isn't big enough to play that role, he's more of a pure college 3. I'm imagining someone with the physique and game of a Stanley Robinson or a Roscoe Smith, maybe a little more skilled. Sticks and Roscoe were credible defenders and rebounders against college 4's, but had some outside game as well.

Sounds like you're talking about Devin Robinson to me.

Reaction Score
Final gets:

Oubre
Robinson
Perkins
Chuwkwu....................:D

A twitterless man can dream can't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online