Karaban declares, retains NCAA eligibility | The Boneyard

Karaban declares, retains NCAA eligibility

Reaction Score
Don't they have agents these days as high schoolers?

Reaction Score
He's so underated. He could be a versatile guy that does a little of everything. Plays good D, can shoot the ball, has decent size at 6'8.

If he can show his ability during tryouts, he might get a look. He's not overly athletic enough to get a fair shot, but he's the type of guy that can be a role player.

He'll probably make a lot of money overseas, but I don't discount his ability to play in the NBA. I'm just concerned he won't get a fair look.

Good luck to Karaban, hope he proves them all wrong.

Reaction Score
Really hard to predict the outcome on AK. He's a student and academic, and could be the central piece if he came back. In a weak draft class and coming off 2 NC's, as an older sophomore, doesn't really have much to prove, coupled with an opportunistic draft. The question will be if he's middle of second round, does it make sense to go or to come back to lead a 3peat with heftier NIL package.

Reaction Score
Basically what we all thought was gonna happen. I have already assumed he wont be back so in the event that he would then illl be pleasantly suprised, I thought the same thing with Newton last year.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Q - how does he retain eligibiity? No agent? A deadline? TIA.

Reaction Score
Hiring an agent forgoes your remaining eligibility. Deadline to withdraw is June 16th
Yes, not hiring an agent. Then there’s a timeframe where you have to withdraw from the draft.
This changed, there are certain agents you can hire and still return to college. They just have to be both NBA and NCAA certified I believe. Tristen Newton hired an agent last off-season when he declared

Reaction Score
No surprise. He's not going to do anything stupid so unless he hears he's a first round draft choice then he'll be back. I highly doubt he's leaving without his degree to be a mid to late 2nd round draft choice. Or even worse, not drafted at all.

Reaction Score
imo this was the only logical decision. Best of luck Alex! Would love to see him back but would not be surprised at all if he can convince a team to draft him first round

Reaction Score
This changed, there are certain agents you can hire and still return to college. They just have to be both NBA and NCAA certified I believe. Tristen Newton hired an agent last off-season when he declared
Correct. And he already has that agent. From an interview at the parade:

“I’ve been talking to Coach Hurley, Coach [Luke] Murray, my agent a lot,” Karaban said. “It’s definitely been weighing on me a lot. Some days I’m leaning towards one way, other days I’m leaning the other way. I’m torn right now. I’m still trying to figure it all out, still trying to talk to them. I just want to set myself up for the best position I can in my future and, at the same time, I have so much love for this school and this program. It’s going to be the toughest decision I’ve ever had to make.”

Reaction Score
Some pertinent info from Storrs Central a couple of days ago (you should subscribe if you aren't already):

"Alex is absolutely exploring the draft process. ...his agency has a really strong reputation for telling kids when they're not ready and sending them back to school. His agency is probably common knowledge, so look them up. They sent Marcus Sasser back for another year when he wasn't ready. They sent Zach Edey back for another year when he wasn't ready. If Alex absolutely kills it at the combine and throughout the draft process, or if Alex gets critical feedback from teams that are very interested, then expect him to leave. If that does not happen, Alex will likely decide to come back with the full support of his agency. Kid has an amazing head on his shoulders and good advisors in his corner. Whatever decision they make will be the right one, and (again) because of BBFG/Storrs Central, this is unlikely to become a money decision unless he breaks into the first round anyway."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom