Kansas | The Boneyard

Kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the first time in six years that they've lost 2 straight games. That seems incredible to me.

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges, I know, but our women haven't lost two in a row since 1993. The span is something like 750 games.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Apples and oranges, I know, but our women haven't lost two in a row since 1993. The span is something like 750 games.
Posts like this and people will get the wrong impression of your name!

J

JustHusky

Finally, something that proves these elite teams aren't untouchable. I'm learning just to not care about rankings this season, it's been a rollercoaster that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Im not gonna get fooled by Kansas given their history especially with Bill Self's teams recent trend of choking, in 08 Memphis had an epic choke job in order for KU to win a national title they would still be stuck in living in the past with the 88 tourney run. Their a great program just overrated and I have been guilty myself of picking them to go far. Well maybe Ku not having a great record could be good for them who knows.

Reaction Score
Im not gonna get fooled by Kansas given their history especially with Bill Self's teams recent trend of choking, in 08 Memphis had an epic choke job in order for KU to win a national title they would still be stuck in living in the past with the 88 tourney run. Their a great program just overrated and I have been guilty myself of picking them to go far. Well maybe Ku not having a great record could be good for them who knows.

Thumbs down.

Reaction Score

Yeah but Kansas has played 2 pretty good teams 2 times in a row many times so it's a heck of a lot more impressive!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah but Kansas has played 2 pretty good teams 2 times in a row many times so it's a heck of a lot more impressive!!!

I think the streaks are comparable - like if you used dog years and decided that four years of WBB is equal to one year of MBB, then they are in the ballpark. Of course, i imagine if you looked at who they played the next game after a loss, though, you'd find a lot more danger games for Kansas. UConn women losing to Rutgers and then getting to bounce back by beating Providence by 60 isn't all that much of a challenge.

Doing it for 20 years, though, means they've never let injury problems (Sales, Bird, Abrosimova+Ralph in same year) or a year where the talent wasn't as good due to high recruits not panning out, result in a mini-slump. The team wasn't all that great post-Taurasi for a while (even Taurasi's senior year, we were kind of pedestrian with one transcendent player). There were several years when they were vulnerable enough where it could have happened.There is a risk of that streak ending if they don't win it all this year. I believe the opener next year is against Stanford.

Reaction Score
I think the streaks are comparable - like if you used dog years and decided that four years of WBB is equal to one year of MBB, then they are in the ballpark. Of course, i imagine if you looked at who they played the next game after a loss, though, you'd find a lot more danger games for Kansas. UConn women losing to Rutgers and then getting to bounce back by beating Providence by 60 isn't all that much of a challenge.

Doing it for 20 years, though, means they've never let injury problems (Sales, Bird, Abrosimova+Ralph in same year) or a year where the talent wasn't as good due to high recruits not panning out, result in a mini-slump. The team wasn't all that great post-Taurasi for a while (even Taurasi's senior year, we were kind of pedestrian with one transcendent player). There were several years when they were vulnerable enough where it could have happened.There is a risk of that streak ending if they don't win it all this year. I believe the opener next year is against Stanford.

Love your posts to death and I "like" the womens but they rarely, if ever play a ND and then a Stanford and to be honest those are the only teams they lose to!!!

Reaction Score
There aren't a lot of times we've had a murderer's row in the schedule, but the Big East has had Rutgers and Notre Dame be consistent threats for years at a time. Other times a team on an up year has threatened us in a down year (Seton Hall took us down to the wire with Taurasi, St. John's got us once, Syracuse got us once, Nova ended our first streak, Louisville was a threat, etc.). And we tend to play a couple tough out of conference games after the new year (Duke, UNC, OK, LSU, Baylor, we used to play UT twice a year, etc.). There have been a few times we've played a marquee game and a tough BE game back to back, we just usually win them both and obviously never do worse than split them.

When we won 70 or 90 in a row by 10 or more points every night, it didn't matter who we played, so there are good chunks of that 20-year run that we weren't challenged at all. So yeah, I'd say Kansas' run was a fair bit tougher. But 20 years is a really long time to sustain anything like this in college sports. It hasn't all been easy. Some of our top recruits (Strother, the Valley sisters, Houston) have turned out to be so-so. Some got hurt. Several others transferred (Delle Donne most prominently, but we had an entire three-member class transfer once). Things can go wrong.

Reaction Score
Is this post serious?

Since 88 they have been to 6 final fours, won 17 conference regular season titles, 10 conference tournament titles, and had 9 #1 seeds.

Yea they are certainly living in the past and an overrated program.

You might want to do some research next time before you embarrase yourself.

Reaction Score
Is this post serious?

Since 88 they have been to 6 final fours, won 17 conference regular season titles, 10 conference tournament titles, and had 9 #1 seeds.

Yea they are certainly living in the past and an overrated program.

You might want to do some research next time before you embarrase yourself.

Is this overreaction serious? I said they are a great program just a little overrated every year, how many times have people predicted KU to win it all come tourney time and what ends up happening in the tournament. Im well aware of my research, I know what im talking about.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I watched the end of the game last night on ESPN3. TCU really sucks.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure they lost two in a row back in the mid-2000's when they lost to Bucknell like 3 straight times in the tournament. They couldn't have won the Big12 Tournament all those years....not sure though.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure they lost two in a row back in the mid-2000's when they lost to Bucknell like 3 straight times in the tournament. They couldn't have won the Big12 Tournament all those years....not sure though.

Kansas has only played Bucknell once in their history, losing to them in the 2005 tournament.

Reaction Score
Kansas has only played Bucknell once in their history, losing to them in the 2005 tournament.

They went through a stretch where they were getting upset by mid-majors every year, Bucknell was one of them, Northern Iowa got them (but that was second round). Maybe Bradley once. And then in between, they won a title. Davidson and Curry damn near had them that time in the Elite Eight.

Reaction Score
They went through a stretch where they were getting upset by mid-majors every year, Bucknell was one of them, Northern Iowa got them (but that was second round). Maybe Bradley once. And then in between, they won a title. Davidson and Curry damn near had them that time in the Elite Eight.
Yea that was a terrible stretch in a 5 year span they went to 2 final fours and won a title, oh and won 5 conference titles. Terrible

Reaction Score
Bill Self at Kansas has been pretty solid.

When you look at their postseason results, it is very JC esque- poor showings sandwiched by deep runs. I'd even say it's better than Uconn, since their bad years were 1st round exists in the tourney vs Uconn in the NIT.

Eight straight years as regular season champs is pretty great. Sure, the big 12 isn't the Bigeast, but there have been some solid teams over the past eight years: the OU team with Griffin, KSU of a couple years ago, Texas with Durant and maybe a couple others.

Also, Kansas isn't getting UK, UNC, or Duke type classes. I know the star system is warped, but when you look at their classes over the past 7-8 years (except maybe the Brandon Rush/Julian Wright class), it's closer to Uconn's than it is to UK's.

Reaction Score
This is the first time in six years that they've lost 2 straight games. That seems incredible to me.

I am one Husky fan that appreciates and respects this achievement that you posted. I knew some fans would discount it, rag on the coach or make comparisons when you posted this. It is incredible, and it means that they don't suck back to back games, or go on a losing streak. To me its okay to recognize game, irrespective of the school.

Reaction Score
Bill Self at Kansas has been pretty solid.

When you look at their postseason results, it is very JC esque- poor showings sandwiched by deep runs. I'd even say it's better than Uconn, since their bad years were 1st round exists in the tourney vs Uconn in the NIT.

Eight straight years as regular season champs is pretty great. Sure, the big 12 isn't the Bigeast, but there have been some solid teams over the past eight years: the OU team with Griffin, KSU of a couple years ago, Texas with Durant and maybe a couple others.

Also, Kansas isn't getting UK, UNC, or Duke type classes. I know the star system is warped, but when you look at their classes over the past 7-8 years (except maybe the Brandon Rush/Julian Wright class), it's closer to Uconn's than it is to UK's.

In the six five years mizzu, Baylor, Texas a&m, ok state, Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas st all have had teams ranked in the top 10 during or at the end of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom