Kaitlyn Chen officially a Husky | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kaitlyn Chen officially a Husky

Reaction Score
Kaitlyn, Loved your games against the COLUMBIA LIONS...... "Play it again, Sam", (ah... I meant Kaitlyn)!
Well to the Husky Family!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Don't forget who Kaitlyn's coach was at Princeton.

On the court, Chen says that her biggest adjustment from high school to Princeton was perfecting Coach Berube’s suffocating defensive scheme. As a player that is known for her quick transition offense and explosive ball-handling skills, Princeton’s system demanded Chen to contribute on the defensive end as well.

“We [at Princeton] pride ourselves on our defense,” Chen continued. “So, it takes a lot of time and effort and focus during practices.”

As a result, Chen is playing the best defense of her collegiate career, averaging 1.2 steals per game and fitting seamlessly into the well-oiled Princeton defensive machine

Reaction Score
From 2-22-2024 CT Inside,

A source confirmed to CT Insider that the Huskies have interest in Chen with a second source confirming that Berube has spoken to her former college coach, Geno Auriemma, about her star. With the possibility, perhaps probability, that UConn's Nika Mühl will not use her final year of eligibility, Chen could move into that vacated guard spot next to All-American Paige Bueckers, who announced her decision to return to UConn next season on her Senior Night.

Reaction Score
This young woman was an honorable mention all-American. I can’t imagine a scenario where she isn’t starting.
Is she going to start in front of Azzi or Paige? She will play but starting would rely on someone not being healthy enough to play and I hope that is all behind this group of players.

Reaction Score
If I ever find that lamp offering 3 wishes, one will certainly be to read Geno's mind. We all know the expression, "What was he thinking?" I'd ask that question about taking Chen. Even if she starts, someone is going to get squeezed out. Maybe Geno doesn't think that any of his guards are "complete," and he's looking for one that is. Chen might be the answer, but I suspect that any way you slice this salami, in the end, it's just salami.
BUT let me say the obvious: the current team is very young. Maybe coach wants a veteran hand to be in control at the point. With Carla giving him the lowdown, Chen may be just the thing. Also the transferee is only going to around for a year, so the young guards can still hope to ascend in their second year. That makes the bench a bit softer on the tush.
There: now I talked myself into taking Chen. Great move, Geno.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
“She knows it's going to be challenging and it's a challenge to step into a team that's been together … I think they're gonna really enjoy playing with her and just enjoy having her in the program.”
“Her selflessness is something that made her great and she really genuinely wanted her teammates to excel and feel the joy that she feels,” Kiyomura. “And that's the crazy part about her and what makes her special. I don't think people really realize that the great ones have that ability to do that.”
But she's also wants to soak in everything she possibly can from her coaches. And they'll (UConn) really enjoy that. Like, she’s just a sponge. And I told Coach (Geno Auriemma) she's gonna run through a wall to help you succeed.”

Reaction Score
I’ve said this before, we are going to love this addition. Despite the depth on paper, this team still has question marks in terms of offensive firepower and creativity. Shade is a shooter, and streaky as a freshman, we all think she will improve. KK is a disrupter on both ends of the court, but not offensively polished or focused, and needs to work on shooting. Azzi is a great shooter but her minutes may be limited, and she is not a playmaker. We have no clue what Ducharme will bring, and she has struggled while on the court. Now Strong shows ability to score on three levels with high basketball IQ, and great court awareness but after all still a freshman. Chen is a bona fide scorer, playmaker, with creativity and court awareness. This is a slam dunk addition.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is she going to start in front of Azzi or Paige? She will play but starting would rely on someone not being healthy enough to play and I hope that is all behind this group of players.
We'll have to see if Fudd is available and up to speed. If so Bueckers and Fudd start. BUT Chen could start in front of Arnold.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Chen starting instead of Paige? Quite amusing to say the least, but the starting five may not be who we think. We have a lot of talent on this team, and the starters I'm sure will not be finalized until November. Many have the game to start, but the issue will be who plays well with who. Paige will be on the floor of course, bur will she be the 1 or the 2. KK can play with Paige and be the PG, with Chen being the second PG with Azzi at the 2. Having Ice, Sarah, and Jana available, Geno may not be inclined to have a 3-guard offence, let alone a 4-guard offence. As I said, because of all the awesome talent that we have, the second team will be just as important as the first team. He could actually switch out 4 players at a time if he can find the right combinations. This will be very interesting come November, and I have to say that the discussions this summer about the combos will be plentiful, and some probably will be really wild. I can't wait until November, but geez, that's 6 months away.

Reaction Score
She’s gonna start for KK because she’s a PG. She isn’t a SG like Azzi, and PB is NOT going to come off the bench ever. The day she does will be when Geno has a brain aneurysm.

Reaction Score
We at times were offensively challenged last year. With K Chen who is a penetrate and kick or score PG it will make others better. We know that when Azzi is healthy along with Paige and K Chen we will have an experienced guard trio along with Sara, Ice and Jana and Hopefully Ayanna in the front court. We will be tough to beat. With KK and A Shade we will have experienced rotational guards who know our offense and defensive schemes. Morgan and Allie can learn and work themselves into the rotation. I have seen Allie play and she is a shooter. She will help spread the floor and Morgan brings playmaking, and scoring to an already loaded team.
I can't wait for November!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We at times were offensively challenged last year. With K Chen who is a penetrate and kick or score PG it will make others better. We know that when Azzi is healthy along with Paige and K Chen we will have an experienced guard trio along with Sara, Ice and Jana and Hopefully Ayanna in the front court. We will be tough to beat. With KK and A Shade we will have experienced rotational guards who know our offense and defensive schemes. Morgan and Allie can learn and work themselves into the rotation. I have seen Allie play and she is a shooter. She will help spread the floor and Morgan brings playmaking, and scoring to an already loaded team.
I can't wait for November!!!!
I would describe Kaitlyn Chen as a “combo guard” rather than a pure pg. She lead the Tigers in both scoring and assists while putting up the 2nd highest number of shots on the team. She is capable of both getting her own shot as well as setting up her teammates.

If you view Chen as a veteran replacement for Nika, she can do a lot of what Nika did for UConn. But she is clearly a better scorer. As for where Chen fits on the team, there’s lots of options, many of which depend on who gets healthy and how quickly.

Reaction Score
Much like with Lou Senechal, a few practice sessions will determine if Kaitlyn starts or is part of the 2nd unit. Coach G said it best about Lou... “After the first five days, I pretty much said, ‘Someone who was a starter isn’t going to start this year. That’s how impressive she was.” We know and saw how impressive Kaitlyn is and what she brings to a team. We know Paige is going to start. After that, it comes down to who or who isn't working on improving their game. With so much coaching and videos out there, players that want to be really ELITE, are in the lab working on their craft. Players that are just comfortable and happy they are wearing the UConn gear, some player(s) will take their minutes.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why there is such an obsession with who starts... In big games, I could totally see KK starting but Chen ending the game with her maturity. If both of them are in the 20 min range and get their moments, who cares. This team really needs depth to be ready for March and March is what really matters at UConn.

Reaction Score
Kaitlyn will basically replace Nika Muhl with more scoring. She will take a ton of pressure off Paige during critical moments. She will make Paige better. She will earn the team's trust due to her experience carrying the team on her back when she played at Princeton. She will thrive with all the talent at Uconn, and she will be a great role model for KK like Nika did.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why there is such an obsession with who starts... In big games, I could totally see KK starting but Chen ending the game with her maturity. If both of them are in the 20 min range and get their moments, who cares. This team really needs depth to be ready for March and March is what really matters at UConn.
This!

Reaction Score
It’s not really and obsession on who starts but and obsession by boneyard poster on who is right.

Reaction Score
We will find out during first practices real quick. Based on what I have seen of KK and Kaitlyn, Kaitlyn should start with Paige, and KK sub in to keep Kaitlyn fresh. If the game is tight, Kaitlyn should finish the game. Both KK and Kaitlyn should play point and handle the ball majority of the time to keep Paige fresh. The bottom line is we want Paige to keep shooting and scoring while KK and Kaitlyn should set Paige up whenever possible.

Reaction Score
It’s not really and obsession on who starts but and obsession by boneyard poster on who is right.
I get this but playing devil's advocate, starters usually play a majority of the minutes. Ashlynn became a starter this season, Q did not. Q ends up not getting minutes in the final 4 game. Geno as of late has played his starters huge minutes. I know in large part due to injury but sill.

Reaction Score
Chen starting instead of Paige? Quite amusing to say the least, but the starting five may not be who we think. We have a lot of talent on this team, and the starters I'm sure will not be finalized until November. Many have the game to start, but the issue will be who plays well with who. Paige will be on the floor of course, bur will she be the 1 or the 2. KK can play with Paige and be the PG, with Chen being the second PG with Azzi at the 2. Having Ice, Sarah, and Jana available, Geno may not be inclined to have a 3-guard offence, let alone a 4-guard offence.
I hoghly doubt Geno wont have a primary 3 guard Offense. He only has Jana, Ice, Patterson. and Sarah until AUbrey comes back - which overall is not near as deep as the guards. And Ayanna is highly qurestionable ealry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom