Justin Joly making an impact | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Justin Joly making an impact

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
What Joly meant to say (or rather what my eyes read):

I'm going to use this year as motivation to get better money. I'll look back at the season and say I never want to do that again with this team. Imma out.

This loss hurts, exceedingly bad. We're running out of decent "next man up" athletes.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
is it sad that I'm already scared he'll be poached by P5 NIL money next season :(
You called it right mate! Who are you worried about next...maybe there's still time to keep the next guy.

Reaction Score
What Joly meant to say (or rather what my eyes read):

I'm going to use this year as motivation to get better money. I'll look back at the season and say I never want to do that again with this team. Imma out.

This loss hurts, exceedingly bad. We're running out of decent "next man up" athletes.
Joly has been in the offense that sucks at passing for two years. He was one of the top receiving tight ends in the country despite the lack of passing game. Regardless of money, why would you not go to a place where you could really show your skills in the pass catching game so that you get into the NFL?

There is no amount of money that would have kept me at UConn in that situation. When your entire future is dependent upon making it to the NFL, then you cannot blame the kid for not wanting to remain on a team that has zero quality quarterbacks. Any one of us would have made the same choice if we were intelligent and you cannot blame the kid. It was the correct thing to do.

Reaction Score
Joly has been in the offense that sucks at passing for two years. He was one of the top receiving tight ends in the country despite the lack of passing game. Regardless of money, why would you not go to a place where you could really show your skills in the pass catching game so that you get into the NFL?

There is no amount of money that would have kept me at UConn in that situation. When your entire future is dependent upon making it to the NFL, then you cannot blame the kid for not wanting to remain on a team that has zero quality quarterbacks. Any one of us would have made the same choice if we were intelligent and you cannot blame the kid. It was the correct thing to do.
Totally disagree with this. If he’s shown enough at UConn to have Tennessee notice him, you can bet the NFL has too. As far as your slam against the QBs, Roberson might not have been great, but he was better than average. There aren’t a lot of great QBs out there.
By your logic, anyone interested in the NFL should not come to UConn and no one from UConn would ever make the NFL. Both thoughts proven to be very wrong multiple times.

Reaction Score
When you get paid you can’t have the Yips and continue to play like he did here.
I was going to post the same. There were close games early where he just seemed invisible whether by design or effort. He also dropped a number of balls that should have been caught. I will give him this though-he was a force in the last three games and had the decency to finish the season with the team.

Reaction Score
I was going to post the same. There were close games early where he just seemed invisible whether by design or effort. He also dropped a number of balls that should have been caught. I will give him this though-he was a force in the last three games and had the decency to finish the season with the team.
Disloyal to his team when he makes a difference. He doesn’t need to move to be seen. And, the tolerance for dropped passes at an SEC or B1G program is like one, and the next you sit.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree with this. If he’s shown enough at UConn to have Tennessee notice him, you can bet the NFL has too. As far as your slam against the QBs, Roberson might not have been great, but he was better than average. There aren’t a lot of great QBs out there.
By your logic, anyone interested in the NFL should not come to UConn and no one from UConn would ever make the NFL. Both thoughts proven to be very wrong multiple times.
He played against Tennessee and had a good game there. That would probably have a decent amount to do with how Tennessee in fact noticed him.

NFL teams want to see how you compete against the top (P4) competition consistently, well mainly against the SEC and Big10, but the point is the same. This year we averaged 150 yards a game, no touchdowns, and had 2 interceptions total against P4. Last year it was 80 yards a game.

Putting up 89 yards against Tennessee is much more valuable to his future than putting up 96 and a TD against Rice. The game is about getting as much good tape against good competition on the record as possible. Someone at UConn only has 4 chances a year to do that, with the handicap of the fact that we simply do not throw well in general, but especially against P4 teams.

In addition, a whole lot of NFL scouts are going to probably every game at somewhere like Tennessee, that is not the same with UConn. He is also a lot more likely to go to a major bowl game that a lot more people watch, rather than maybe no bowl game with UConn. All these things add up majorly.

So yes, it is possible to get drafted from UConn and it does happen, but the likelihood of it happening are less than at a place like Tennessee. If he puts up the same numbers in the next year or two in the SEC that he did this year, then he is probably a first rounder and maybe the first tight end drafted. If he does the same here, then it is probably a day 3 of the draft type thing. In his case, the reason that Tennessee or whoever has to pay him, is not because they need to lure him away from UConn, it is to make sure he doesn't end up at their peer. If he believes in himself and has the goal of going to the NFL, it is the smart decision, regardless of any pay day he may have.

Reaction Score
He'll be missed, but if he succeeds at Tennessee he's going to get drafted.

Reaction Score
I think he was going to get drafted out of UConn. It’s money.
Yes, but Tennessee gaurantees high profile too, which means drafted sooner and more likely to get signed.

Reaction Score
Yes, but Tennessee gaurantees high profile too, which means drafted sooner and more likely to get signed.
Sorry don’t buy this argument. Maybe 50 years ago but now the NFL finds you if you can play. And as much as our recent results have been poor, the players are easy to find.
I’d argue his chances are much higher staying put where he is all but guaranteed to be a featured performer not one of many.

Reaction Score
Sorry don’t buy this argument. Maybe 50 years ago but now the NFL finds you if you can play. And as much as our recent results have been poor, the players are easy to find.
I’d argue his chances are much higher staying put where he is all but guaranteed to be a featured performer not one of many.
Ali Marpet got drafted out of Hobart...the NFL finds the talent. This is an opportunity for money now. Still unfortunate to see him go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom