Just thinking ahead to the 2014-15 season... | The Boneyard

Just thinking ahead to the 2014-15 season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Believe me, I know how important this season is, for this UConn team to continue winning by double figures, maybe even 15+, en route to a national championship in the state of Tennessee. There's still a ton of basketball to be played, and we'll need to follow and discuss it being played to a standard. Certainly, Geno and his assistants will be doing just that.

But next season might just be even better.

I will hate losing Bria "the bomb" Hartley and Stef Dolson, two All Americans who carry this team intermittently. However, UConn already adds four excellent players who all should be able to contribute, with of course the possibility remaining of the national #1 high school player coming to Storrs. Of course, the kids returning are stunning. Just consider:

• Breanna Stewart will be a junior, improved from this season, and a phenomenal player.
  • KML will be a senior, a great all-around player, and you'll be able to set your watch to her scoring 17-20 per game.
  • MoJeff is terrific these days. She's analogous to Kelly Faris insomuch as she does good things that fill up a stat sheet and yet her total contribution rarely is reflected by the box score. She's going to be as good as some of the best guards UConn has had, and Geno will absolutely love her for it.
  • Kiah will presumably fill in for Stef as the starting post, and you know what? I'm comfortable with that by this point. She may well not score like Stef, but I bet she'll have a great game or two on offense while consistently being a force on D and on the boards.
  • Morgan will be solid all around, reliable, steady, and everything we hope from her.
  • Saniya will largely fill in for Bria, a reliable ball handling guard who can shoot from outside and make layups.
  • Banks will have a very successful senior season, a tenacious defender, occasional force on offense, an overall excellent change of pace.
In short, if you take the seven players returning (plus Lawler and Pullido, of course, but I'm assuming their roles as bench-warmers don't change) and add the incoming freshwomen, UConn is a clear force to be reckoned with and should be preseason #1. Of course, to be assured of the preseason #1 ranking, UConn will need to finish this season #1 as well. Having said that, how great is it that we'd be looking well into the future as to the next time UConn won't necessarily be the favorites ?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I want to enjoy this one. Someday, we'll be talking about this season, and telling others, "I was there!"

Reaction Score
I, too, want to savor this season and wallow in the beautiful basketball these women create. However, Stephanie's departure will sorely impact this team. Her size and passing skills are the engine that runs the offense, and will not easily be replaced. Kaleena especially will miss her.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I want to enjoy this one. Someday, we'll be talking about this season, and telling others, "I was there!"

Someday we'll be talking about the Breanna Stewart era, in which three NCs is more probable than possible, and we can tell others we were there.

Reaction Score
For sure, lets enjoy 2014 ride for as long as it takes..........Every UCONN game is on National TV..........Elite players who want to jump into the Circus of UCONN will come with open arms....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice OP and I agree that this year is one to savor right now. But I want to say something about Kiah that hasn't been mentioned. She got one assist yesterday only because her other assist that came on the previous offensive set resulted in a blown layup on another beautiful entry pass. Those two passes are something she would not have done last year, as she was primarily playing not to make a mistake. She often looked lost on the offensive end, not any more. She may not be scoring much, may not be getting the entry passes when she is open but she looks so much more comfortable running offense and the team is playing well on that end when she is in. That is a joy to see.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Believe me, I know how important this season is, for this UConn team to continue winning by double figures, maybe even 15+, en route to a national championship in the state of Tennessee. There's still a ton of basketball to be played, and we'll need to follow and discuss it being played to a standard. Certainly, Geno and his assistants will be doing just that.

But next season might just be even better.

I will hate losing Bria "the bomb" Hartley and Stef Dolson, two All Americans who carry this team intermittently. However, UConn already adds four excellent players who all should be able to contribute, with of course the possibility remaining of the national #1 high school player coming to Storrs. Of course, the kids returning are stunning. Just consider:

• [ ]Breanna Stewart will be a junior, improved from this season, and a phenomenal player.
    [ ]KML will be a senior, a great all-around player, and you'll be able to set your watch to her scoring 17-20 per game.
    [ ]MoJeff is terrific these days. She's analogous to Kelly Faris insomuch as she does good things that fill up a stat sheet and yet her total contribution rarely is reflected by the box score. She's going to be as good as some of the best guards UConn has had, and Geno will absolutely love her for it.
    [ ]Kiah will presumably fill in for Stef as the starting post, and you know what? I'm comfortable with that by this point. She may well not score like Stef, but I bet she'll have a great game or two on offense while consistently being a force on D and on the boards.
    [ ]Morgan will be solid all around, reliable, steady, and everything we hope from her.
    [ ]Saniya will largely fill in for Bria, a reliable ball handling guard who can shoot from outside and make layups.
    [ ]Banks will have a very successful senior season, a tenacious defender, occasional force on offense, an overall excellent change of pace.
In short, if you take the seven players returning (plus Lawler and Pullido, of course, but I'm assuming their roles as bench-warmers don't change) and add the incoming freshwomen, UConn is a clear force to be reckoned with and should be preseason #1. Of course, to be assured of the preseason #1 ranking, UConn will need to finish this season #1 as well. Having said that, how great is it that we'd be looking well into the future as to the next time UConn won't necessarily be the favorites ?
I only you were Tony we could be thinking ahead to the 2019-20 season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Alex, you make some great points. I think that once Kiah knows that she must be ready, she will be. Possibly, she is less motivated now knowing that she is playing behind Dolson and likely will not get much playing time as long as Dolson is around. I suspect that next season she is going to come in and blow some folks away. UCONN will have plenty of offensive fire power so as long as Stokes can come in an play great defense, which we know she can, and hit the boards, which we know she can, any offense is gravy.

Stokes and Stewart will shut down all opposing post players with their length and shot blocking abilities.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I too want to savor this season, but I'm going along with Alex's premise.

We'll miss Bria, especially for her aggressiveness and ability to push the pace, drive to the hoop, and make big plays in the clutch.

We'll really miss Stef. The offense often runs through her, and she is really big. She's also a vocal leader and very skilled.

I think our relative weakness will be in terms of size, unless we get A'ja. We'll have really only 3 players to play the 4 and 5 positions--Kiah, Stewie, and Morgan--which leaves little room for injuries or foul trouble. Kaleena can play at the 4, though undersized. I'm not sure if any of the frosh could play at the 4, though Courtney and Gabby could play the 3.

I think Kiah will be a dominant defensive player, maybe like Thabeet was on the men's side. With more PT, she'll score more, but my guess is about 10 ppg.

Brianna will be solid, using her athleticism and energy. She'll help push the pace. And get drafted.

Kaleena and Stewie may be on a par with Sue and Diana or Maya and Tina, possibly the 2 best players in the nation. As Stewie gets stronger and more experienced, she'll dominate even more. Teams will have no answer for her. Kaleena will continue to expand her game and make shots from everywhere at an amazing rate. Both will be working toward an Olympic berth.

Morgan will hopefully be healthy and show her all-around game as one of the most versatile and best players in the country.

Moriah will be a top-2 PG and take over games. She'll be the most fun player in the nation.

Saniya will channel her inner Bria and Sue and use her array of shots to make scoring look easy. And she'll be a defensive pest.

The frosh will be a unified group and work together to learn and contribute. Sadie will be solid, a lot like Renee. Gabby will be a disciplined Diamond DeShields doing things we haven't seen before. Courtney will be like a bigger Mel, playing smart and making shots. And Kia will be, well, Walt Frazier. She will play like an upperclassman from Day 1.

If A'ja comes to Storrs, she'll learn from Stewie and be part of a dynamic duo unlike anything ever seen. Start measuring the wall in Gampel.

Sorry--Tony stole my computer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#