Just a quick reminder and life lesson... | The Boneyard

Just a quick reminder and life lesson...

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
A close coworker of mine died today in an accident. Be thankful for the people we have and support and love everyone. Our lives and worldly issues such as UConn basketball performing badly for a few years is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Have faith and look forward and everything will iron itself out. Even if you are not religious, have faith in the people around you and stay positive. Life is too short to be negative all the time.

Reaction Score
I like your post but of course in a way I didn't like it.

There's a saying "He/She died so we may live". It took me a while to understand and digest that phrase. Yet your post summarizes it so succinctly. Its the very least we can do to make his/her death be not in vain. The other thing is to never stop talking about him/her, for those memories also allows them to live beyond death.

So sorry for your lost.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Very sorry about your co-worker. Life is ridiculously unfair at times.

But this is, of course, a UConn basketball board and it’s where UConn basketball fans will talk about UConn basketball. In this one teeny tiny corner of the world, it is the only thing that really matters.

Making the assumption that the people here are entirely focused on the problems of the basketball program and not on the rest of their lives is presumptuous and we shouldn’t do it.

If they’re going to vent about UConn basketball, this is the place they’ll do it. And then they’ll go back to being normal people who don’t kick their dogs or yell at kids to get off their lawn.

But again, more importantly, I’m sorry you lost someone and I’m sorry that a family out there is dealing with the unimaginable tonight.

Reaction Score
A close coworker of mine died today in an accident. Be thankful for the people we have and support and love everyone. Our lives and worldly issues such as UConn basketball performing badly for a few years is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Have faith and look forward and everything will iron itself out. Even if you are not religious, have faith in the people around you and stay positive. Life is too short to be negative all the time.
So sorry for your loss. I couldn't have summed up the life lessons you learn when you lose a loved one any better. Still missing my husband 3 years later.

Reaction Score
Maybe regretting telling someone to kill themselves yesterday? Paper bag thread....
Very sorry about your co-worker. Life is ridiculously unfair at times.

But this is, of course, a UConn basketball board and it’s where UConn basketball fans will talk about UConn basketball. In this one teeny tiny corner of the world, it is the only thing that really matters.

Making the assumption that the people here are entirely focused on the problems of the basketball program and not on the rest of their lives is presumptuous and we shouldn’t do it.

If they’re going to vent about UConn basketball, this is the place they’ll do it. And then they’ll go back to being normal people who don’t kick their dogs or yell at kids to get off their lawn.

But again, more importantly, I’m sorry you lost someone and I’m sorry that a family out there is dealing with the unimaginable tonight.

Reaction Score
We are all in your corner Top D. Even us Rats who jumped ship on the UConn mens hoops team!

Stay strong. My sincere condolences.

BDH

Reaction Score
The Comedian Patton Oswalt said his deceased wife use to have a saying to describe life: It's Chaos, Be kind.

Sorry about your loss. It's Chaos, be kind.

Reaction Score
So sorry for your loss. I couldn't have summed up the life lessons you learn when you lose a loved one any better. Still missing my husband 3 years later.

Don't be a stranger Kathy. Lets get that post count to 1k.

Sorry for your loss. You have my hear felt condolences.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score

May his memory be eternal

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Thank you all for your sympathies. Life just is not fair sometimes. Just to be clear, I think it's healthy to come on here and vent. No use in keeping it bottled up. We share many of the same frustrations with this team. To speak about our horrible play and what we need to do to fix it is all well and good. But when the players and the coach start getting thrown under the bus, it may be crossing the line a bit. At the same time there is a difference between healthy criticism and one that is malicious. The whole point of this post was not to say I assume no one here has a concept of our own finite lives. It was intended for us all because it's so easy to forget we are here temporarily. We all go about or lives and naturally we take it for granted everyday we wake up. I am guilty of this. Everyone is.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Today would have been my son’s 32nd birthday. Passed away in 2007. You need to keep going forward but some days are tougher than others. He loved UConn men’s basketball.

It's a beautiful thing that you can watch uconn basketball it brings back all those great memories. There are things that happen in life that remind us everyday of our loved ones that are not here anymore physically. But the things that were a big part of their lives keeps their memory alive and we can smile. My dad and I watch as many games as we can together. It's a bonding thing. And if he is first to go, I can watch a game and almost feel like he us there again. The memories are all we got left and we can be thankful for that at the very least. Keep your head up and always look forward!

Reaction Score
Very sorry for your loss and the for the family's lose most importantly! God Bless them now and always!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My wife’s uncle who is my favorite relative of her’s died about two hours ago. I once spent an Easter watching The Karate Kid with him. He treated it like a documentary. He turned to me with 5 minutes left and with dead seriousness said ‘Mr Miyagi is a very good teacher’.

I think most people realize the difference between real life and sports.

If you focused on real life 24 hours a day most people would be so paralyed to move.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My wife’s uncle who is my favorite relative of her’s died about two hours ago. I once spent an Easter watching The Karate Kid with him. He treated it like a documentary. He turned to me with 5 minutes left and with dead seriousness said ‘Mr Miyagi is a very good teacher’.

This made me laugh.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This made me laugh.

I sat with him for like an hour on Christmas in his basement. Bein sports was running a replay marathon of CONMEBOL WC qualifying matches. He made a point to tell me that he thinks Messi is a good player.

His wife allowed him to buy exactly 30 beers a week. That left him spending much of his free time scrounging them from neighbors. Every house on the street would have an old man listening to Benfica on the radio in the garage and he’d go from house to house collecting a Bud Light tax.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom