2024 Recruiting: - Jordan Derkack (Merrimack Transfer) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Jordan Derkack (Merrimack Transfer)

Reaction Score
Diarra/Nowell(6th man)
Liam McNeely/portal
Stewart/Ross
Karaban/portal
Johnson/portal

Ball is elsewhere. I am certain Hurley will reward Johnson for his loyalty to the program and make him the starter for his senior year.

Johnson isn't going to be rewarded with a starting spot for "loyalty." He will earn his role in practice like every player on our roster. This is a silly take. No one is guaranteed s---.

Also, speculating on transfers is lame. We're fighting for a sweet 16 spots in 9 hours FFS.

Reaction Score
I hope Hurley doesn’t tell him that..
Off season that is what Hurley and staff will do.

Here’s where you are
Here’s where you need to be
Here’s what you have to do
Let’s get to work!

If a kid can’t handle that, he’s not going to be worth a damn anyway.

Reaction Score
I watched a few games... Derkack is growing on me. I see a great 6th-man or low-end starter here. Definitely worth pursuing.

If we nabbed a Cliff-level big and this kid, we would be in a good spot. Not great (kids like Cam and Tristen are rare) but good.

Reaction Score
Dan wanted Timberlake too did you watch him? Let’s be honest here Dan got a bit lucky with that swing and miss.

Hey if you get a stud shooter as well and this guys a piece then it’s all good. But if we’re hoping he becomes a better shooter because he’s now in Storrs I’m not thrilled.

But that’s just me!
We don’t know all of the players that will even be in the portal yet. Who is to say that other players he’d want more will end up in the portal once the tournament wraps up? This is kind of just noise at this point anyway. The picture should be clearer a month from now.

Reaction Score
Diarra/Nowell(6th man)
Liam McNeely/portal
Stewart/Ross
Karaban/portal
Johnson/portal

Ball is elsewhere. I am certain Hurley will reward Johnson for his loyalty to the program and make him the starter for his senior year.

Assuming we land McNeeley is a pretty bold leap. Seems like we should assume KU leads until we hear he’s visiting other schools.

Also Samson is maximized in his role as a 16-18 minute off the bench big man. He is not nearly skilled and impactful enough to start, if we’re hoping to contend in the BE, let alone make a tourney run next season.

Reaction Score
Dan wanted Timberlake too did you watch him? Let’s be honest here Dan got a bit lucky with that swing and miss.

Hey if you get a stud shooter as well and this guys a piece then it’s all good. But if we’re hoping he becomes a better shooter because he’s now in Storrs I’m not thrilled.

But that’s just me!
UConn got lucky with Cam. His awesome.

But I believe that the UConn staff would have done a much better job putting Timberlake into a position to succeed and Timberlake would have likely been successful at UConn (although I starter role could well have over-exposed him).

The same is going to happen next season. The current team is led by Newton is slow and methodical and that fits with the current lineup.
A team with Diarra at the point - with Stewart, Johnson, and - yes - Ball is going to be much better at a faster pace, because that is going to suit them better. (And Ball is going to look vastly improved because of the increased suitability.)

Reaction Score
I’m very bullish on Ball. His best game of the year was vs UNC and he has incredible length and great athleticism. I think he is a clear starter on next year’s team. I don’t think we got to see his whole offensive package this year because he was typically the 4th or 5th option when he was on the floor. Stroke looks good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This guy is NOT a replacement for Newton. Period. The end.
I don't think it's matter of replacing guys, it's a matter of bringing in players that can help you win games.

Reaction Score
I’m very bullish on Ball. His best game of the year was vs UNC and he has incredible length and great athleticism. I think he is a clear starter on next year’s team. I don’t think we got to see his whole offensive package this year because he was typically the 4th or 5th option when he was on the floor. Stroke looks good.
Agreed and Ross too. I think Ross will be a better third year player than second year player, but we will see a lot more of his game next year. Stewart is a clear breakout candidate next year.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Back to Derkack;
  • does he play good team D?
  • does he pass well?
  • is he a smart player?
  • does he have the dog in him?
He shoots +55% from the two on high usage- I'm sure Luke can work with that.
I'm curious what people who have watched full games think of his athletic abilities.

Reaction Score
Back to Derkack;
  • does he pass well?
  • is he a smart player?
I'm curious what people who have watched full games think of his athletic abilities.

Very good athlete for the Merrimack level. Will be average here in terms of pure athleticism. Better than Cam and Alex. Probably a little worse than Stewart.

Reaction Score
They were both 4* players in high school. Basically the same level recruit. Neither is an NBA prospect. Junior Hass and Freshman Solo are similar players (not very good at anything, undersized, good athletes). Solo a better leaper but Hass more skilled.

Hurley quotes are coach speak. Meaningless. It's PR not gospel. He says the same ish every season and our entire back court is transfers.
Theres a huge range of difference between 4*s. But what your high school ranking is doesnt determine your absolute viability as an NBA prospect. Solo can develop into an NBA prospect. He has the frame and physicality if he develops his skills and game to be an NBA prospect

Reaction Score
Back to Derkack;
  • does he pass well?
  • is he a smart player?
He's a lot like Shaq...

Reaction Score
Assuming we land McNeeley is a pretty bold leap. Seems like we should assume KU leads until we hear he’s visiting other schools.

Also Samson is maximized in his role as a 16-18 minute off the bench big man. He is not nearly skilled and impactful enough to start, if we’re hoping to contend in the BE, let alone make a tourney run next season.
Disagree.. Sampson has more he can do.. Once he's coached to do it. Mid range pops. Some Ighodaro baby hooks. I'm predicting a Diarra like improvement.

Reaction Score
Disagree.. Sampson has more he can do.. Once he's coached to do it. Mid range pops. Some Ighodaro baby hooks. I'm predicting a Diarra like improvement.

He hasn’t shown great touch to do baby hooks or mid range pops at all. He is more of a one dimensional Clint Capela type of player on o. His free throw percentage does not suggest he’s going to be an effective pick and pop threat.

Reaction Score
I’m very bullish on Ball too and I think he could absolutely break out next year, but if this program is going to be a perennial top 15 squad with the expectation of competing for national championships consistently, I don’t think you take risks like penciling him in as the starter. He just plainly hasn’t shown enough this year to warrant that on a top team.

Reaction Score
Theres a huge range of difference between 4*s. But what your high school ranking is doesnt determine your absolute viability as an NBA prospect. Solo can develop into an NBA prospect. He has the frame and physicality if he develops his skills and game to be an NBA prospect

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Yes, Solo could develop into an NBA prospect. ANYONE on our roster could, even if it's exceedingly unlikely.

I wouldn't say one was a better prospect than the other in HS or otherwise. 4*s all get drafted at pretty much the same rate. The 50th and 90th ranked prospects aren't all that different--the difference could be one hot weekend over a summer years ago. That's how Akok got rated a 5* by some services.

And even after their respective freshman years, I see similar level of NBA prospects in Solo and Hass.. Neither has NBA size. Hass had more skill and is a better defender, Solo has a better physical profile. Pretty similar stats when you look at per-40 #s.

Reaction Score
Solo is a much better prospect than Diarra coming out of HS because of his frame and athleticism. You can guarantee teams’ regional scouts are aware of him. It’s a tough challenge because we have to bring in competition but you can’t just recruit over kids every class like you used to. We definitely bring in a guard and perhaps an additional wing, likely with one being a sniper. But I think it’s assured we use the highest percentage of our NIL on a big man.

Reaction Score

But that’s just me!
Wow.. now some people are judging Hurley on players that might have come here

Reaction Score
Not the same position. Greek may back up AK at the 4. This kid is a 2/3. Could start at the 2 or support Stewart and pur SG off the bench.
I like what little I've seen. Hope he stays and gets his shot at a bigger role. As for the portal, I'm sure Hurley will look at his options who he feels fits his system and culture, and who is attainable. It's not about stats as it is about fit.

Reaction Score
He needs to become a better screener and rebounder before he starts diverting his focus to offensive game. His offensive game will always revolve around floaters/touches around the paint and lobs, he is vertical lob threat before anything though. If he can clean up footwork on screens and the glass, get stronger... he will be very valuable. Its obvious we need another high level big though, as singare is just not there.

Reaction Score
That's just him.

It’s not true????? Please stop it’s just reality luck is part of coaching whether it’s him or Calhoun. Too bad you guys are so ignorant of that :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom