Johnnie’s upsetting Creighton??!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Johnnie’s upsetting Creighton??!!

MJ1

Reaction Score
Like a lot of marketing. Take a meaningless “event” and convince people it is important.

I actually think the regular season should be important. Eliminating these silly conference tournaments (see I’m not only against the NBE one) and playing a couple more regular season games would be my preference. League champ gets the auto bid. If DePaul doesn’t get an extra chance to go to the dance, so be it. Play better next year Demons. Make the Regular Season great again. I know it’s about the money. But I really don’t get why Mid-majors, especially low ones, do it. For the NEWBIE and P4s it doesn’t mean anything. Most teams already have locked up bids. But for those low majors, a team that battled and won over 20 or so games risks being ousted by a less qualified one. Dumb! How many NEWBIE fans would favor the NBE tournament if only the winner went to the NCAA tournament?
It’s all about the money and exposure. MSG with 7 sellouts pulls in over 25 Million dollars in tickets and concessions for the Big East tournament. Plus the recruiting exposure in New York metro area helps UConn, St. John’s, St. Hall, and Nova. The numbers don’t lie, sellouts at MSG and TV viewership gets decent numbers for the tournament. You can’t tell me you haven’t gone to the tournament an enjoyed the electricity in the building. The glass sometimes can be half full.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Like a lot of marketing. Take a meaningless “event” and convince people it is important.
I said they're meaningful to the players; I really don't care if an outlying, contrarian fan or two think otherwise. Three titles a year to compete for, four with an OOC event. I know when they lay out their goals in preseason they include them all. Sure the natty matters most but it's really arrogant and spoiled to think we'll only count natty's.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I actually think the regular season should be important. Eliminating these silly conference tournaments (see I’m not only against the NBE one) and playing a couple more regular season games would be my preference. League champ gets the auto bid. If DePaul doesn’t get an extra chance to go to the dance, so be it. Play better next year Demons. Make the Regular Season great again. I know it’s about the money. But I really don’t get why Mid-majors, especially low ones, do it. For the NEWBIE and P4s it doesn’t mean anything. Most teams already have locked up bids. But for those low majors, a team that battled and won over 20 or so games risks being ousted by a less qualified one. Dumb! How many NEWBIE fans would favor the NBE tournament if only the winner went to the NCAA tournament?
So you're saying the only reason I was excited about the 2011 BE tournament run of five wins in five days was because marketing subliminally conditioned me regarding the importance of that event. Yes marketing (or any manipulation of group think) could have an influence on us. It's a stretch to imply marketing is the exclusive or even primary factor underlying the excitement over conference tournaments. Elimination with a loss creates the excitement of tournaments. Promotion of the event doesn't do that.

I'd say culture drives the sports bus. Football in the U.S. currently (was baseball for a long time), soccer for a good part of the rest of the world. Women's gymnastics in Georgia but in the remaining U.S. it's relatively unimportant. Marketing is not going to change this. It only exploits it.

What I'd like to see is that league and conference champs get auto bids. Not giving the conference regular season champion an auto bid eliminates the value of a seasons accomplishment. Unlike the NCAA I do not want to increase the number of teams in the tournament. I would rather reduce the number of bids from the major conferences. They have an inherent advantage over the minor conferences with preseason rankings and regular season scheduling.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Johnnie’s turned Creighton over and wore out the midrange. We may try some of the 2nd the next time we play

Reaction Score
I have to admit it's vaguely entertaining watching you alternate between "there are no magic powers" and "I will lead you with my magic powers" depending on which of your personalities is in control on any given post. The best part is you seem entirely unaware that you were taking contrary positions.
Am I unaware? Or is it part of a bigger plan?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Am I unaware? Or is it part of a bigger plan?
Lol, that's not what a psychopath would say… Not the least.
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
St. John's is going to the tournament. Their next three games are Georgetown, DePaul, and then one of those two in the first round of the BET. That gets them to 20 wins.

Reaction Score
Lol, that's not what a psychopath would say… Not the least.
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Being the Judge here is a 12 month, 24 hour a day job. I always have a plan. As evidenced by our five titles. Soon to be six.

Reaction Score
St. John's is going to the tournament. Their next three games are Georgetown, DePaul, and then one of those two in the first round of the BET. That gets them to 20 wins.
Yeah but do wins against DePaul and Georgetown give you anything the selection committee is looking for? I don't think 20 wins is be all end all that gets you in. Who did you play and who did you beat is still what gets a team in. If St. John's isn't in right now then those 3 wins won't help their resume.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yeah but do wins against DePaul and Georgetown give you anything the selection committee is looking for? I don't think 20 wins is be all end all that gets you in. Who did you play and who did you beat is still what gets a team in. If St. John's isn't in right now then those 3 wins won't help their resume.
Their NET is 40. Just by winning those three and losing to Marquette/Creighton, they will probably go up to 35. A bunch of teams around them will lose 2+ games and drop. Only twice since the New Big East was formed has a team with 20+ wins on Selection Sunday missed the field (13/14 St. John's and 15/16 Marquette), and I would argue people weren't sure if the BE was going to a power conference in 13/14.

CL82

Reaction Score
Being the Judge here is a 12 month, 24 hour a day job. I always have a plan. As evidenced by our five titles. Soon to be six.
Except you're not the judge. You retired. Or have you forgotten that again?

In any event we 1-0 national championships since your retirement. The first rule of Mojo is "if something works, stick with it." You being retired, works.

Reaction Score
Except you're not the judge. You retired. Or have you forgotten that again?

In any event we 1-0 national championships since your retirement. The first rule of Mojo is "if something works, stick with it." You being retired, works.
You’re the only one beating this drum and it’s gonna get old in a couple weeks when we all have work to do.

CL82

Reaction Score
You’re the only one beating this drum and it’s gonna get old in a couple weeks when we all have work to do.
We? You retired. Just recap your record over the last five years of you being judge 0-5. Without you 1-0. That's a pretty clear choice, and a pretty easy one too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom