John A.: WNBA rules changes | The Boneyard

John A.: WNBA rules changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Can someone translate this for me?

A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless she is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances.

LINK

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Can someone translate this for me?

A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless she is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances.

LINK

There must be a defect that they are trying to cure but whatever it is, it surely beats the heck out of me.
I don't remember Dee walking off during a possesion to have a beer or something.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
aka, "If Angel decides to go to the bench and pout..." nah, maybe that's too harsh....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Strange indeed without further example.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The rules were also implemented by the NBA. I'm betting that the WNBA simply followed suit, and the rationale for the rule is an NBA incident.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
From this:

that second change is a bummer for the league's more devious coaches, who had started doing things like telling specific offensive players to stand out of bounds in order to create even more floor spacing.

More here:
The out-of-bounds rule seems to be an attempt to reduce any strategic advantage gained from creating extra space on the court.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
All I can think of is when Manny was noticed to be missing from his station in the outfield during play, having gone off behind the wall to relieve his bladder. Hard to imagine a similar situation in the wnba, though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it is similar to the 'gunner' rule on punts in football - if a player is forced off the floor by a defender they cannot then run the baseline/out of bounds line off the court and re-enter further down the court/on the other side of the basket. May also affect the two players out of bounds after a made basket pass along the baseline to beat a trap. I think the situation is probably most often on a player switching sides of the court on offense by running the baseline but out of bounds to miss all the congestion in the lane.

Agree that this seems like a very meaningless change for 99% of the play and teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom