John A.: UConn - Duke: It's more than a game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

John A.: UConn - Duke: It's more than a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
With regard the discussion of if/how much the injured Husky's will play, I 'm closer to DD than Bsc.
If they're cleared and practicing to their normal standard, they play.
How much and whether they start is another question.
Geno may feel that the present 5 deserves the start
or, just as likely, he may go back to his opening day lineup.
Remeber that Morgan hasn't started this year, if my memory serves me.
Potentially, a plethora of riches.
In this era of foul issues, I certainly like the possibility of a team 9-deep with scholarship athletes (with a full understanding of Polly's s situ).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is no argument in my mind about how to be the very best you can be: either 1) go to UCONN; or 2) go to UCONN. The only coach who gives me pause is Muffet, and she comes out of the same world as Geno. And the way to "make" history, is be the very best you can be. Every time we lose a prized recruit, we watch her and many of us speculate about how she would have developed had she chosen Geno, CD, and crew. Samarie was a recent example. EDD, used to happen all the time. There have been exceptions, and I won't mention names, as I am wary of ever saying anything that might start some sort of tirade, esp. in this off week. But in general, there is simply no contest, at least since I started watching back in the D years. If you want to be transformed, go to UCONN.

i don't understand the meaning of your reference to EDD but in thinking of how she would have better had she stayed in UConn, I imagine she would have been a bit fitter/run the floor a little better and certainly played less minutes along with 2 or 3 (4?) National Championships.
But this is a kid w great gifts who spent thousands of hours with some of the best private coaching and trainers learning to create her own shot; something she did remarkably well at UD, often triple teamed and beat up on and in the pros in which I've heard her say that sometimes it's easier.

At the end of the day, her Hall of Fame career will represent her training, perseverance, athletic gifts and developed skills.

It's hard to imagine her being much better.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I believe that if KML is playing, she is starting.

I agree and Geno will adjust her minutes based on what he sees out of her. If her touch and timing are still off (rust) then she would see limited minutes.

If the elbow is still not 100% as far as the healing process goes I can't see Geno putting her out there, or Rosemary allowing it.

Reaction Score
UConn is truly the land of opportunity. It doesn't matter who you are. If you work, absorb, and get with the program during practices, you will play. A remarkable ability of Geno's is to quickly pick up when a player isn't quite right during a game. That player is instantly out of the game. It doesn't matter if the player is #1 in the nation or a walk on. This quick action instantly right's the ship. Swift decision making gives every player hope. Regardless of your station on the team, if you work, you'll be part of the action.

Regarding development. With few exceptions over the years, I've noticed that everyone on the team is happy. They are always smiling and truly seem to like each other. Happiness stems from within. At some point during their career, the players realize, because of the coaching they receive, they are confident and playing better than their personal expectations. That makes a person feel good about themselves and others. No woman is an island - the key to success and happiness.

BEST: in my NSHO, you ARE one of the best of the board.....on my personal "All Star" list. ( I have another list which also starts with an A. )

However, and given that I'm apparently known for provocative posts, I do take issue with one small portion of your good post. I do realize this will lead to pulling of hair and calling of names (not by you, but by The Posse): I heartily disagree with your view that Geno will quickly pull a player who is not "right." Yet you are partly right, because if it is not one of his pets, they are out of there with the first hint of error. But, if it is one of his pets, they may, for example, throw the ball to the band, to shirts of the wrong color, and to the announcers table and still play on.

(This is somewhat less true, on both sides of the pet issue, in the more recent past than it used to be, as he continues to get better and better as a coach, which is to be expected with time and seasoning. About a decade back, I had a list of about 10 or 12 areas in which I thought Coach, and/or his teams, had clear room for improvement. That list has dwindled substantially. In fact, I think the current team might be the most well-coached team he has put on the court.)

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
i don't understand the meaning of your reference to EDD but in thinking of how she would have better had she stayed in UConn, I imagine she would have been a bit fitter/run the floor a little better and certainly played less minutes along with 2 or 3 (4?) National Championships.
But this is a kid w great gifts who spent thousands of hours with some of the best private coaching and trainers learning to create her own shot; something she did remarkably well at UD, often triple teamed and beat up on and in the pros in which I've heard her say that sometimes it's easier.

At the end of the day, her Hall of Fame career will represent her training, perseverance, athletic gifts and developed skills.

It's hard to imagine her being much better.
Could be...all I was saying is that there was speculation, and that's because we know how much better most become with UCONN training. And she would have had several NCs with us, and that might have changed her life...but these are all mights, who knows. I was just saying that what Geno and company do for most players' learning and development is incredible. Nothing new...just wish A'ja would come here, just wish it so much!

Reaction Score
But you don't know how much playing time she would have gotten at UConn. You are only guessing.

There is no way to know if your scenario is what would happen. And are you saying that if Williams played at RU she would have had more success?
Yes I am only guessing and it is just my opinion, but my response was to a poster who speculated that Kia Vaughn and Elizabeth Williams would be better developed if they had gone to UConn. There is no way to prove either scenario. I actually do think Williams would have had a better chance of earning playing time at RU, but maybe she wouldn't have been talented enough to play significant minutes. She certainly wouldn't have started ahead of Cappie or Matee Ajavon, but I think she would have been higher in the rotation at RU than UConn and would have had a better chance to provide a significant contribution to her team. But again, that is just my definition of being more successful. Tahirah may have considered her bb career at UConn successful just because she made the team and enjoyed her experience.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
KML and MTuck are working out and practicing. Barring a reoccurring injury they are getting ready to play against Duke. How much time I think a lot will depend on how big a lead UConn has. I do expect a very large lead much like in the past. My reasoning is Dukes game plan really hasn't changed much from prior years and either has UConns. As good as Duke is and IMO there is a big difference from the number 2 ranked team and the rest, there is also a huge difference between number 1 UConn and Duke and the rest.
Last night I was flipping through the channels and caught the last 14 minutes of the OK Duke game. Duke had some foul trouble and OK really only had one scorer Ellerby. Duke blew a 21 pt lead to win by 9. There was a lot of one on one play by Duke not a real lot of play execution. OK missed a lot of bunnies underneath which might have made the game closer. I like UConn in this one by no less then 13 pts and most likely a lot more barring injuries and foul trouble.

Duke scores a lot of points off turnovers so we need to stop their fast break off misses and we will. Underneath Peters and Williams will have their hands full with our shot blockers and I expect them to go right at us and we will do the same to them. Liston makes a lot of shots so I expect her to have a tuff time finding shots against our defense, and we need to keep the ball out of Dukes guards hands and make other players make plays.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes I am only guessing and it is just my opinion, but my response was to a poster who speculated that Kia Vaughn and Elizabeth Williams would be better developed if they had gone to UConn. There is no way to prove either scenario. I actually do think Williams would have had a better chance of earning playing time at RU, but maybe she wouldn't have been talented enough to play significant minutes. She certainly wouldn't have started ahead of Cappie or Matee Ajavon, but I think she would have been higher in the rotation at RU than UConn and would have had a better chance to provide a significant contribution to her team. But again, that is just my definition of being more successful. Tahirah may have considered her bb career at UConn successful just because she made the team and enjoyed her experience.

I'm not sure about this premise. But this is what you said earlier.

"I would never dispute that Geno and the UConn staff are great at developing talent, but I feel there are other programs that do a good job and I don't agree with the premise that the UConn staff could better develop every player."

I actually agree with you here. Geno and his staff are great at developing talent. And there are other programs that do a good job. I don't think the UConn staff can better develop EVERY player.

But I think you are missing the point. It's not EVERY player. It's the fact that recruits know if they put the work in, they will develop to their fullest at UConn. That is close to undeniable. Other than injuries derailing a players development, I can't think of one player that UConn didn't develop to their fullest when they put the work in.

It's not that other coaches aren't good at it. UConn is GREAT at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom