Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Nicely written piece, but the headline might more accurately state:

"Stewie Could Become the Best Ever"

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
What impresses me most about her,is how humble she is in every way,and it is genuine.She has the talent and the drive,and has no ceiling with how great she can become,and yet,she sincerely feels privileged just to be on the team,to get to play,to meet and enjoy those she meets.This would be my representative to all the young girls out there growing up and inspiring to be outstanding at something,that they should be like her.What an outstanding model for anyone!

Reaction Score
As much as I love to see her success I don't see how she could top Diana. Diana was very much put the team on her shoulder and ran all the way to the NC.

I think the state of Connecticut should erect a statue of her some where after Geno's of course.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Hongster said:
As much as I love to see her success I don't see how she could top Diana. Diana was very much put the team on her shoulder and ran all the way to the NC. I think the state of Connecticut should erect a statue of her some where after Geno's of course.
If you consider what Breanna did against ND in the national semis last season, I'd call her on pace with D, albeit not there yet. Certainly she was ahead of what D managed as a freshman. Bottom line for me is if my life depends on winning a game and I have to pick the team, Diana is my first choice. That's one criterion. Body of work-wise, I'd give a small but decisive edge to Maya over D. That's another criterion. Breanna has a chance to be someone you'd bet your life on first or have the most impressive body of work ever. However, that takes quite a lot for Stewie to accomplish between now and April 2016. A hell of a lot.

Reaction Score
As much as I love to see her success I don't see how she could top Diana. Diana was very much put the team on her shoulder and ran all the way to the NC.

I think the state of Connecticut should erect a statue of her some where after Geno's of course.
I agree Diana stands alone. College, pro, what ever league. In my mind it's not even close. Like I always suggest, go to youtube and watch Taurasi highlight clips, then come back and let's have this discussion. Taurasi played over a decade ago and memories fade. If you're down one with 10 seconds left, name the one player you want taking that last shot. My money's on Diana. Also, Stewie has not had to nor will she ever have to carry the team. Unless by carry a team you mean play alongside a team full of All-Americans and top recruits.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Diana is the greatest of all time. She made everyone around her better by the plays she made to get them shots. NO other player has ever done that like she has. She also could step it up when the game was on the line and do the impossible. Maya was a wing and so is Breanna. All three are different eras in WCBB. Its tuff to compare. However to take Diana with a group of non starter the previous season and win the NC over a very very good Tenn team well that's unheard of. Diana is the Greatest.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree Diana stands alone. College, pro, what ever league. In my mind it's not even close. Like I always suggest, go to youtube and watch Taurasi highlight clips, then come back and let's have this discussion. Taurasi played over a decade ago and memories fade. If you're down one with 10 seconds left, name the one player you want taking that last shot. My money's on Diana. Also, Stewie has not had to nor will she ever have to carry the team. Unless by carry a team you mean play alongside a team full of All-Americans and top recruits.
Yeah - but if you are down one with 10 seconds left and you just turned the ball over to a player streaking in for a lay-up, my money is on Maya!:cool:
Diana was definitely one of a kind. Maya is too, and by the time she is Diana's age she may have even more championships than DT - at this point I would say it is a toss-up whether she will exceed DT on the professional level. And Stewart certainly has a chance to pass them both by but she is so young at this point.

Reaction Score
Diana is the greatest of all time. She made everyone around her better by the plays she made to get them shots. NO other player has ever done that like she has. She also could step it up when the game was on the line and do the impossible. Maya was a wing and so is Breanna. All three are different eras in WCBB. Its tuff to compare. However to take Diana with a group of non starter the previous season and win the NC over a very very good Tenn team well that's unheard of. Diana is the Greatest.
Don't forget all the times she beat Tennessee :D One of Taurasi's better highlight clips, not a ton of UConn in here since those days pre-dated cheap video cameras and camera phones that are everywhere now.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Over the next few years we will see how great Breanna is. Everything is there for her to be the most dominate player the game has ever seen. She does things now that others dream about. As she continues to grow this season and forward it is hard to imagine where she could be.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let me mention what a quality person she is. I honestly believe that if Mrs. Kibitzer were to
autograph this pic donna_breanna.png and send it to Stewie, she would graciously say "Thanks."

Reaction Score
Skill wise yes. But DT was DT. Everyone admires humility but for a NYer, that cocky attitude followed by performances that more than lived up to it... can't beat it. Stewie is a very close two

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If you think about the all-time great NBA players, with an emphasis on the last 30-35 years (Jordan, Bird, Magic, LeBron, Kobe, etc.), most were guards and wings or players who, even if they were at power forward, were often on the perimeter, handling the ball, playmaking, initiating the offense, etc. People forget how dominant Shaq was in the 2000-2002 Lakers title run (averaging close to 30 points and 15 rebounds per game in some of the Finals MVP performances). People forget how reliably great Tim Duncan was/is.

Because perimeter players handle the ball so much, they are often put up there in the "best ever" debate. With post players, they are often considered the "most dominant" of an era or a particular time, but not necessarily the "best ever." Part of the reason why is that for all the scoring and rebounding, they still need a player to feed them the ball.

Having said all that, Taurasi is flat-out unreal. She is the player you *loathe* when she plays against you and that you *love* when she is on your team.

What separates Taurasi from other players? A few things come to mind:

1) Uncanny basketball IQ, her savant skill. She sees the game three plays before it develops. It is completely unparalleled in the women's game. Her ability to get the ball to players through her court vision is breathtaking to watch.

2) The hunger to win, to the point where she hates losing more than she loves winning. This is a very "Serena Williams-like" quality. Serena's greatest skill is her ability to play her best when she is in danger of losing, along with the best pure technique in the game and incredible speed and athleticism. Taurasi can be setting up teammates and appearing to be more casual, then drop 20 points before the opposing team has had a chance to finish sipping the Gatorade at halftime. And if you look at certain games (the 32 points "I just wanted to hit something orange" game against TN, the 2003 game against TN with the halftime shot and the late three, the 2003 and 2004 Final Fours, the 2006 WNBA game where she scored 47, the 2007 WNBA Finals, etc.), this is readily apparent. And like Serena, she has been dubbed "fiery" (on the complimentary side), "temperamental" (in the middle), and "brash" (on the less complimentary side). But it is that fire that makes Serena who she is and what makes Diana the player she is.

3) An uncanny belief in herself coupled with the ability to make those around her better. Alana Beard, as much as I love her, was not a vocal leader at Duke. She was a leader by example. And while she could rack up assists, she was best playmaking for herself and one other person, using screen-and-rolls or pick-and-pops. Taurasi can be a playmaker for herself and all others at all times. More importantly, she knows this, her teammates know this, and the opposition knows this.

Now, what does this mean for Stewart? She has a unique skillset. At this point in her career, I see a lot of Lauren Jackson in her (with some Penny Taylor thrown in), which means a lot of championships and MVP awards in her future. And it would not shock me to see her emerge as one of the best players ever. She could certainly be the most dominant player. But to get to the "best ever" label, I think she will need to display some more of the savant-like skills that Taurasi has (she may have them, she is still a very young basketball player) and be able to carry a team when it has great players (like Phoenix in 2007) and when it has merely solid players and young players, but no other stars or superstars (like UConn in 2003).

But I really look forward to seeing her develop. Again, it is hard to believe how young she is when you consider what she has accomplished at UConn and with USA Basketball. She really is a joy to watch, even if she is killing my team.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Cam, great analysis. Permit me to suggest other female athletes who have the qualities you attribute to Diana and Serena.

How about Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

How'd Diana do in her 1st Final Four? That's the apples-to-apples comparision to date. Stewie played the best ball in the country in the Big Dance, while the ESPN-promoted "3 To See" all took the pipe.

Reaction Score
For that last second shot? I wouldn't ignore "Bird at the Buzzer". Even at the UConn-averse Rebkell site, they have a nickname for Sue which, though vulgar, honors her ability to make the big shots at crunch time.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I've always hated the "Who's the best UConn player or team" debates with a passion. All of the players were in different circumstances and playing different roles, and they seem to sometimes get penalized for having any teammates of good quality beside them.

DT was wonderful in so many ways, but a lot of the tributes seem to always be focused on her last two seasons with UConn when she apparently played with a group of kindergartners beside her. If she had played with a 2001-02 cast around her all four years, she might be remembered just as marvelously with perhaps slightly different stats, but she would not have be seen quite so much as the all-time floor commander with a Bird, Cash or Jones beside her.

The teams of 2002-04 of DT's junior and senior years are also not quite as bereft of talent as some posts seem to make out at times. There were no seniors on the 2002-03 squad, but Ann Strother and Barb Turner were very strong players even as freshman, and Jessica Moore, Ashley Battle, and Maria Conlon were adept role players who made a number of teams rue any over-attention paid to DT. Saddled by back and foot issues her senior year, DT led the team in scoring in just over half of the team's 35 games, and there were games she scored 2 or 4 points. Five Huskies shot over 40% from 3pt territory in 2003-04, but none were named Taurasi (and yes, JMo led the team at 50% on 1-2 shooting). In fact, only in her sophomore year did DT shoot over 40% for 3pt shots.

Point is, DT overcame debilitating injuries and was the field general for two NC teams in her last two years that had a bunch of players who didn't win Wade awards but who did get to play on Junior National and Pan American Games teams and who chalked up a bunch of FF All-Tournament team awards ahead of even such top players as Lindsay Whalen.

Ann, BT Overdrive, JMo, BattleBot, They-call-Vols'-Death-Wind Maria, Get-me-a-board Crockett --- I'll take that group in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
How'd Diana do in her 1st Final Four? That's the apples-to-apples comparision to date. Stewie played the best ball in the country in the Big Dance, while the ESPN-promoted "3 To See" all took the pipe.

Yeah! But, tell me your opinion of her last three years. :)

Reaction Score
Enjoy the journey and we have been so spoiled here in CT with all the great players and very special people that Geno has brought here to UCONN.........Long live King GENO...........

Reaction Score
Ann, BT Overdrive, JMo, BattleBot, They-call-Vols'-Death-Wind Maria, Get-me-a-board Crockett --- I'll take that group in a heartbeat.
Not over Stewie's teammates of Mosqueda-Lewis, Dolson, Hartley, and Jefferson you wouldn't.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Now I agree,that Breanna could be the best college women's player ever,if she continues to learn and apply what she learns,as well as become more physically sound.However,though it is fun comparing Breanna and Diana,and other greats,I would bet you come Breanna's draft time into the pro's,not one coach will mull over whether she is the same,better,or almost as good as Diana or anyone else,but,that she is a game changer,a team changer,and a champion,who is good to coach and has the desire ,talent and will to help her team or her country to success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom