John A.: Geno: A coach who knows his limits | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno: A coach who knows his limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“A kid sitting at home watching us play on television in these kind of games, who decides they want to play here, can’t come here and start thinking, ‘Oh my God, this on 1 vs. 2. This is Cameron Indoor Stadium. How am I going to handle it?,” Auriemma said.

“The kid that comes to Connecticut understands this is why they came here; to play in these kinds of games. But then it’s up to the coaching staff to set the right mindset."

LINK

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes - thought Geno was great in the press conference and this particular piece was a nice little recruiting pitch thrown in for free!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno talked about keeping the game plan simple (under-coaching), something CD and Shea haven't quite mastered:

“You know what helps me a lot is we’ve got three coaches on our staff, Marisa (Moseley) not so much, but we’ve got two coaches on our staff, Chris Dailey and Shea Ralph, that I don’t know what the plans looked like for D-Day. I don’t know what General Eisenhower had planned for D-Day and what they looked like, but they weren’t as thorough as some of the stuff these guys bring to practice,’’ Auriemma said. “And I just look at them and I go, `You guys have got to be kidding me.’ They’ll come in, and they’ll tell you what Tricia Liston did for breakfast yesterday. And you can get so overloaded with information on what the other team’s going to do. What do we have to do? How are we going to guard this? How are we going to guard that? What are we going to do in this situation? What are we going to do in that situation? How are we going to guard when this kid has the ball vs. when this kid has the ball? And if you’re not careful, your players go into a game more overloaded with information about what we have to do to stop them as opposed to what we have to do to win the game? What do we have to do to be really good? Us. That’s what I mean by under coaching. Don’t get so caught up in what the game plan is as opposed to getting our minds right. Just get our minds right. And try to simplify it as much as possible. That’s what I mean by that.’’

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2013/12/18/another-big-game-another-big-performance-by-the-huskies/

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some other interesting nuggets from Geno:

John Altavilla ‏@jaltavilla 10h
@genoauriemma says if a kid can't pass, #UConnwomen will not recruit them

If you are not a good passer, it's going to be hard to play for us #UConnwomen @genoauriemma #hardtruth

"If you can't get an open teammate the ball, pretty soon you are going to stand out." @genoauriemma #UConnwomen #passingfancy

@genoauriemma says @Kaleena23 is an "artiste, a little tempermental" when she is shooting. He meant it in a good way #UConnwomen

HGN

Reaction Score
Yes - thought Geno was great in the press conference and this particular piece was a nice little recruiting pitch thrown in for free!
UcMiami, my thoughts exactly...............

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It was D-Day for Duke. The invasion of Cameron Indoor was highly successful. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno talked about keeping the game plan simple (under-coaching), something CD and Shea haven't quite mastered:

“You know what helps me a lot is we’ve got three coaches on our staff, Marisa (Moseley) not so much, but we’ve got two coaches on our staff, Chris Dailey and Shea Ralph, that I don’t know what the plans looked like for D-Day. I don’t know what General Eisenhower had planned for D-Day and what they looked like, but they weren’t as thorough as some of the stuff these guys bring to practice,’’ Auriemma said. “And I just look at them and I go, `You guys have got to be kidding me.’ They’ll come in, and they’ll tell you what Tricia Liston did for breakfast yesterday. And you can get so overloaded with information on what the other team’s going to do. What do we have to do? How are we going to guard this? How are we going to guard that? What are we going to do in this situation? What are we going to do in that situation? How are we going to guard when this kid has the ball vs. when this kid has the ball? And if you’re not careful, your players go into a game more overloaded with information about what we have to do to stop them as opposed to what we have to do to win the game? What do we have to do to be really good? Us. That’s what I mean by under coaching. Don’t get so caught up in what the game plan is as opposed to getting our minds right. Just get our minds right. And try to simplify it as much as possible. That’s what I mean by that.’’

http://blog.ctnews.com/elliott/2013/12/18/another-big-game-another-big-performance-by-the-huskies/
I thought that too - it's a great quote and I wonder how many other HC's take the CD and Shea approach - way too much info on the game plan vs. any other top team they play. It's a bit surprising that after 25 or so years that CD still does that. And it's an indication of just how hard it will be to replace Geno.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Eric;...can't you tell when Geno is spoofing you? As he has said a thousand times, he doesn't even care who the other team is. If it wasn't for CD and Shea, our team wouldn't even know who the other team's players are. We wouldn't know who to guard. And I'm sure that some of our kids want to know what Dukies had for breakfast. Suppose they eat better than we do. Their caoch doesn't even have a restaurant.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And I'm sure that some of our kids want to know what Dukies had for breakfast. Suppose they eat better than we do. Their caoch doesn't even have a restaurant.

No but the table settings are much more elegant and the waitstaff is exquisite.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
My favorite all-time Geno quote.... "Are you kidding me?!?!"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I found that absolutely fascinating and Geno was being totally himself. That whole presser was a pleasure, because Geno largely gives a thinking man's answer to the questions. Now P, well, that is a totally different ball of banalities.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I found that absolutely fascinating and Geno was being totally himself. That whole presser was a pleasure, because Geno largely gives a thinking man's answer to the questions. Now P, well, that is a totally different ball of banalities.
Yep. John A. made the point that Geno's pressers in hostile territory often are way more interesting than normal because he is addressing people he doesn't know who are curious about the "UConn way".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom