John A.: DT plans to stay forever young | The Boneyard

John A.: DT plans to stay forever young

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“I want to stay in the sport. I don’t know what I would do without basketball. I would have to be involved and I would love to coach. I’d be very open to it, if it was in the right spot. Who knows?
“I never think too far ahead. I try to stay happy in the moment. The key is being around people you like. It’s hard to go into the gym with people you don’t care for. We are a barbeque team. We’ve had more freaking barbeques this season.”

LINK

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I can see her being the head coach at the University of Connecticut one day.

She is the only person I can think of that knows the game inside out AND can give an interview as entertaining as the Guru of Gampel.

Reaction Score
About adding Stewart to the national team....
I think you have to consider it.....

I would throw Bria Hartley into the group. I think USA Basketball needs to think about her being on the national team.

hoo boy.....that's not gonna go over too well on one particular message board. :)

Reaction Score
Call me crazy, but I can see her being the head coach at the University of Connecticut one day.

She is the only person I can think of that knows the game inside out AND can give an interview as entertaining as the Guru of Gampel.

Ya know when I read it that is what immediately came to mind for me too. I can see it.

Reaction Score

I second the motion, but I do not see it happening.

1. For reasons I cannot explain or have ever seen adequately explained, great players rarely make good coaches; Good teachers but rarely ever good coaches.
2. The right spot to be a coach? What would Ms Taurasi consider the right spot? A top level team with an established pedigree? A high paying long term job with infinite benefits?
3. Although there appears to be a trend toward awarding head coaching jobs to recently retired ballplayers, is such a condition necessary for Ms Taurasi to enter the coaching ranks or is she willing to pay her dues and work her way up?
4. Imagine how many dues paying current HCs and assistants would have to be passed over for Ms Taurasi to get the UConn job? Those are waters I would hate to navigate.
5. I see Diana's name mentioned in this thread. Sue Bird. Why not Tamika Williams, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones? OK, I've mentioned them without providing any supporting arguments.

Last edited:

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score
Great article. Shows how much she really has matured, but she'll always be young at heart. I enjoy seeing how much passion for bball she has and it continues to grow.

Reaction Score

1. For reasons I cannot explain or have ever seen adequately explained, great players rarely make good coaches; Good teachers but rarely ever good coaches.
2. The right spot to be a coach? What would Ms Taurasi consider the right spot? A top level team with an established pedigree? A high paying long term job with infinite benefits?
3. Although there appears to be a trend toward awarding head coaching jobs to recently retired ballplayers, is such a condition necessary for Ms Taurasi to enter the coaching ranks or is she willing to pay her dues and work her way up?
4. Imagine how many dues paying current HCs and assistants would have to be passed over for Ms Taurasi to get the UConn job? Those are waters I would hate to navigate.
5. I see Diana's name mentioned in this thread. Sue Bird. Why not Tamika Williams, Swin Cash, Asjha Jones? OK, I've mentioned them without providing any supporting arguments.
Re #4, there may be a lot of reasons DT wouldn't work as UCONN coach (??), but IMO leapfrogging "current dues paying HCs and assistants" shouldn't be one of them. People 'deserve' jobs because of their probability of success, not because of dues paying.

Reaction Score
I think Sue and Dee should be head coach/associate head coach. That's a duo that's been together for ages, and I have a feeling would like to continue their careers together.

and..IMO..It would be Sue as head coach, and Dee wouldn't want it any other way.

Reaction Score
By the time Geno retires Sue and D will have had time to learn the ropes and be ready to coach. Jen as head coach. Sue, D, Shea and Kareem Abdul Jabbar as assistants (and possibly Metta World Peace)

Reaction Score

Phil Jackson?

Reaction Score
Re #4, there may be a lot of reasons DT wouldn't work as UCONN coach (??), but IMO leapfrogging "current dues paying HCs and assistants" shouldn't be one of them. People 'deserve' jobs because of their probability of success, not because of dues paying.

So how can probability of success be measured for those who have never held a particular job or position? How does being a very good basketball player qualify one for a head coaching postion; Given the success that mediocre, terrible, even intramural players have had coaching, how does one evaluate their probability of success?

Reaction Score
Phil Jackson?

May I assume that this response is in support of my argument that great players rarely make good coaches? Phil Jackson was an adequate professional ballplayer, a far cry from great; Especially on teams laden with future Hall of Famers.

Reaction Score
So how can probability of success be measured for those who have never held a particular job or position? How does being a very good basketball player qualify one for a head coaching postion; Given the success that mediocre, terrible, even intramural players have had coaching, how does one evaluate their probability of success?
Ask Phil Jackson what he saw in Derrick Fisher. Although Derrick was a good player, suspect it is certain of the ingredients that Phil felt MADE him good - ingredients other than athletic ability - that Phil thinks will make him a good coach.

Anyway, jury is out. My point wasn't that being a very good player automatically would make one a good coach, or that DT would necessarily make a good coach. Rather that "paying one's dues" shouldn't trump talent or extreme intangibles (leadership, "just seem to know how to win", etc.)

Reaction Score
May I assume that this response is in support of my argument that great players rarely make good coaches? Phil Jackson was an adequate professional ballplayer, a far cry from great; Especially on teams laden with future Hall of Famers.
Maybe the others didn't want to coach.

A couple of the "great" players I know of Jabbar and Ewing haven't been offered the opportunity to coach. Russell only coached the Celts briefly if I recall. I'm watching a video interview and I'll see if he says anything about it. I don't think he liked the way people were in the Boston area so he went west to seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom