Joey Whelton/Al Weston backcourt to Boat/Bazz | The Boneyard

Joey Whelton/Al Weston backcourt to Boat/Bazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My first regular exposure to UConn basketball, pre-3 point line, were two Guards (playing for Dee Rowe) that were approximately the same stature as Shabazz Napier & Ryan Boatwright. Both were excellent shooters off the dribble. Not catch & shoot at all. (love Napier but both these 70s guys were pistols)

Plus (with all due deference to Omar) ... Lee Otis Wilson: just his name conjurs up the Bombs he threw up from very long distance. He was a lot like Rashad in that he had no conscience. Of course, Tony Hanson as well. (almost saw him drown once at Diana's pool)

See ... there were memories back in the Fieldhouse days. All four of these guys are in the fine UConn tradition. And, am I the only one who thinks Whelton/Weston when I see two slight 6 foot guards?

Reaction Score
I remember Joey Whelton straight from East Hartford to Storrs.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I fondly remember going to all the home games back then and listening on the radio to all the road games. Great team. My memory fails somewhat but I think both players were listed under 6'0" (Weston perhaps 5'11", Welton 5'9" or 10")...of course I think they used true, barefoot heights back then, not the "in-shoes" heights listed today

Reaction Score
My first regular exposure to UConn basketball, pre-3 point line, were two Guards (playing for Dee Rowe) that were approximately the same stature as Shabazz Napier & Ryan Boatwright. Both were excellent shooters off the dribble. Not catch & shoot at all. (love Napier but both these 70s guys were pistols)

Plus (with all due deference to Omar) ... Lee Otis Wilson: just his name conjurs up the Bombs he threw up from very long distance. He was a lot like Rashad in that he had no conscience. Of course, Tony Hanson as well. (almost saw him drown once at Diana's pool)

See ... there were memories back in the Fieldhouse days. All four of these guys are in the fine UConn tradition. And, am I the only one who thinks Whelton/Weston when I see two slight 6 foot guards?
up until several years ago, i believe Al Weston was still the only player in CT high school basketball history to be named all-state for 4 years....he came from my home town. Although Class S, they were a powerhouse during those years and sent at least 4 players to Division 1 colleges

Reaction Score

Great memories Pudge.......I thought Joey was from Wethersfield....my brother played against Al when he was at Cromwell and brags he held him to 34 once lol..........great backcourt and Lee otis could shoot it from 30!!

Good stuff........

Reaction Score
Great memories Pudge.......I thought Joey was from Wethersfield....my brother played against Al when he was at Cromwell and brags he held him to 34 once lol..........great backcourt and Lee otis could shoot it from 30!!

Good stuff........

My father coached against Weston in a high school tournament game way back in the day. Cromwell won. Weston was a stud...

arch

Reaction Score
My father coached against Weston in a high school tournament game way back in the day. Cromwell won. Weston was a stud...

Wasn't Weston's freshman year the first year of freshmen eligability? Didn't he have his best scoring night in his first start as a freshman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom