Joe Nocera's NYT article on NCAA/ McAdoo. Interesting | The Boneyard

Joe Nocera's NYT article on NCAA/ McAdoo. Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is the reason why I hate the NCAA they are a bunch of hypocrites that enforce laws when they feel like it and ignore them other times.

Reaction Score
What was going on organizationally at UNC was despicable, and I don't want to throw McAdoo under the bus here because he IS a victim in this and makes a good point. However, it is a bit misleading to act as if he just got some help with citations, when he very clearly plagiarized.

I think it is reasonable to think that some incoming athletes might not know the rules of using other's research (or to say that the work of being an athlete AND a student unfairly pressures guys like McAdoo into playing loose with the rules), but that isn't the picture painted by Nocera. This may be besides the real point of the article, but I think Nocera is trying to give readers a black and white story when the reality is a bit more complicated.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
It is outrageous how little UNC has done in self-policing in this matter. They present a public face (and have a lot if pride in) of being a highly prestigious academic institution, but their lack of self-punishment displays an anything is okay as long as our sports teams are successful attitude.

Reaction Score
What was going on organizationally at UNC was despicable, and I don't want to throw McAdoo under the bus here because he IS a victim in this and makes a good point. However, it is a bit misleading to act as if he just got some help with citations, when he very clearly plagiarized.

I think it is reasonable to think that some incoming athletes might not know the rules of using other's research (or to say that the work of being an athlete AND a student unfairly pressures guys like McAdoo into playing loose with the rules), but that isn't the picture painted by Nocera. This may be besides the real point of the article, but I think Nocera is trying to give readers a black and white story when the reality is a bit more complicated.
He did what he was told to do. UNC as an academic institution smells worse that the factory pig farms in NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom