Jim Nantz to Retire from March Madness in 2023 | The Boneyard

Jim Nantz to Retire from March Madness in 2023

Reaction Score
Ian Eagle is my favorite basketball commentator for whether it’s college or NBA. Jim Nantz is obviously a legend, but this is absolutely who I was hoping would take the mantle.

Reaction Score
Better without him- hopefully Eagle does more college basketball games- Nance barely does any games during the season.

Reaction Score
If you're going to replace Nantz, Ian Eagle is a top-notch replacement.
Yup. It’s gonna be weird for the first few years, but he’s good. Would love to see Brian Anderson or Dan Shulman get a shot at some point but Eagle will probably be in this role for at least a decade

Reaction Score
Was hoping to see they were replacing him with Gus Johnson, but Ian Eagle is a very good choice too. Gonna be weird not having Buck on the call for big baseball/football games and Nantz for basketball
Buck gets a ton of hate from people who don’t realize he completely changed his commentary style about 10 years ago. He’s said that he used to try to reserve all his emotion in his calls to let the moment speak for itself, but ever since he abandoned that mentality he’s been one of the best in sports. I think he realized that a great commentator call adds to the emotions of a great game/big play.

Reaction Score
Got his place at Pebble Beach.. Wants to do golf tournaments and hang out with his college golf bro Freddy Couples and get into selling his wine label "The Calling".. Not a bad gig if you can get it

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Pretty ambivalent to all college hoops announcers besides the one and only Bill Raftery. Couple early season broadcasts last year it sounded like he may have lost his fastball but he seemingly picked it back up as the season progressed.

Reaction Score
Will miss Nantzz when he's gone. I remember in 99 he was one of the few people who wasn't ready to just crown Duke champions.

Reaction Score
I know some people will dislike the Syracuse connection, but I’m a big fan of Sean McDonough’s work and think he’d be excellent in this role. He’s called some classic UConn games in the past including the Washington game in ‘98 and the 6OT game against Syracuse. Great memories.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score

Pretty bummed about this. Nantz has been on the call for all 4 of our titles. He’s got the best big game voice in the business.

Eagle is great though.

Folks, ya gotta believe, ’cause just when people say you can’t, you can, and UConn has won a national championship, in its first attempt in a final.
- maybe not exact, but that is how I recall after we won our first. He is a legend

Reaction Score
Never really liked him or disliked him, he was just sort of there for big games but it always felt like he belonged on a golf course. I'll be legitimately sad when the basketball lifers like Raftery and Hubie Brown are no longer with us. They are basketball encyclopedias and bring so much to a game.

Reaction Score
I’ll miss the nostalgia but eagle is tremendous. Happy it’s him.

Reaction Score
No issues with Nantz but Eagle is the better play-by-play guy in both basketball and football. I was hoping TNT gave him the #1 spot for the NBA when Marv Albert retired because Kevin Harlan is starting to show the same signs of slippage as Marv did before he fell off of a cliff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom