Jim Mora: Something feels different | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora: Something feels different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's just a bad read of the data. We spend at the top of the "G5"

Just take basketball off the grid and it looks a lot better. It's a dumb metric to use as a negative. Anyone doing so is pushing an agenda or can't read

KU is also spending about $250M on a stadium at the moment.

We’re also losing $14M on football.

Reaction Score
KU is also spending about $250M on a stadium at the moment.

We’re also losing $14M on football.
I'm not saying that football is doing great. I'm just saying that some of the arguments people use to come to that conclusion are really stupid.

Reaction Score
Maybe if Jim sits off to the sidelines at the Fanfest on Sunday and spends the day on his phone tweeting and doesn't coach that will make some people on here happy?

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that football is doing great. I'm just saying that some of the arguments people use to come to that conclusion are really stupid.
It will be used against us right or wrong. But I would agree if that Kevin Ollie money is in this figure then it's a kind of BS figure.

People will use unfair weapons against you until they can't.

Reaction Score
It's not necessarily an agenda, but a reinforcement (confirmation bias) of an impression left by UConn's actions and success/failure. UConn is doing something non-standard. Football has struggled over the last dozen years... UConn left an all sports conference and made it's football program and independent to align with a stronger basketball conference. The lack of success plus the conference move gives rise to a perception that UConn isn't serious about football (the argument: "if you were you'd invest more and the program would be successful" or "you wouldn't take your program out of the top (then) G5 conference to select a basketball league"). It gets reinforced when conference alignment is being driven by potential broadcast revenue and 80% of the value is driven by football.

The data showing that UConn is the only FBS school spending more on basketball than football simply reinforces that UConn isn't serious in the minds of the people who've already formed the opinion (the argument: "If UConn directed some of that money to football, then they might actually have been successful" and "No one thinks Kansas isn't a top basketball program and they spend less than UConn on hoops while making a bigger investment on football").

I don't think any UConn fan can objectively say that the move to the Big East has been anything but a success.... but it's unusual and hard for many schools (as well as the media) who are conditioned to the majority of the athletic revenue being driven by the broadcast rights for football to see a school who actively forwent that arrangement, for one where the majority of athletic department revenues are basketball dependent.
It was also a better media deal for UConn. ESPN wanted UConn to push ESPN+. It wasn’t simply to get into a better bb conference.

Reaction Score
I think the label of a "basketball school" only hinders you if you're trying to be an elite football program. I don't think it makes an impact on a program trying to be at least decent enough to have a shot at a bowl game most years.
No attack but you missed the fact that every team you mentioned are in a conference and have a right to a bowl game. UConn does not.
As the only independent left other than Notre Dame.... Uconn would most likely have to win a majority of their games to see a bowl. Then that would be just like the last one..... over matched.

Reaction Score
It was also a better media deal for UConn. ESPN wanted UConn to push ESPN+. It wasn’t simply to get into a better bb conference.
I seem to remember UConn getting screwed by the new AAC agreement. It was a bold move to leave. Guess one could say they would’ve moved with Cincinnati but who knows?

Reaction Score
I seem to remember UConn getting screwed by the new AAC agreement. It was a bold move to leave. Guess one could say they would’ve moved with Cincinnati but who knows?
The objections were that the AAC agreement included the Tier 3 rights, which would've put Women's basketball rights in the hands of ESPN rather than allowing UConn to license them out to SNY as had been done. The expectation was that most women's games would end up on ESPN+. The Big East TV contract also granted ownership to the league/Fox over the Tier 3 rights (meaning regardless of conference UConn lost direct control of those rights), but while ESPN would've held onto the rights; Fox was more amenable to sublicensing the content for local redistribution (i.e. SNY). Ultimately much of the uproar about the TV deal was the ESPN+ component to the point where it was cited as a part of the reason for the move to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Maybe, emphasis on maybe, not getting the Big 12 invite took the wind out of his sails

I have nothing, no evidence, just answering a vague question with a vague response :)

Let's win more, I think we will, I think he suffered a little from the sophomore jinx last year
I think Jim Mora as UConn’s coach is the happiest he’s been in a while. He and his new coaching staff are realizing that the portal is the best thing ever to have happened to UConn football. He can do now what he did in the NFL and at UCLA.

Reaction Score
I think Jim Mora as UConn’s coach is the happiest he’s been in a while. He and his new coaching staff are realizing that the portal is the best thing ever to have happened to UConn football. He can do now what he did in the NFL and at UCLA.
I think you are correct. The potential for upgrading via portal for us is greater than the 4* HS recruit route. The assumption is that we are going to be better at finding the athlete we need for our systems than the people we recruit against. Not all about resources, glitz and glamor, rather finding the kid who wants a chance and has "ENOUGH" talent to succeed with GOOD COACHING in the right situation. Using hoops analogies again, but Tristan Newton in FB. Would you have predicted First Team All America, Cousy award winner? We just need to find those kids who will upgrade our talent, and can succeed in the systems we use.

Reaction Score
Mora made a statement at the end of last season to the effect of he is going to find/buy 8-10(?) MEN rather than rely on traditional HS recruit/development. Anybody remember that one?

Reaction Score
Mora made a statement at the end of last season to the effect of he is going to find/buy 8-10(?) MEN rather than rely on traditional HS recruit/development. Anybody remember that one?

I would expect to see more portal entrants after spring season. Hopefully the staff can find some players in the updated list.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
yes….he has stated they need to win now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom