Jim Mora: Something feels different | The Boneyard

Jim Mora: Something feels different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This may be a weak thread, since I don’t have any solid info; but I just get a different feeling from Coach Mora nowadays. It started with his comments about needing more financial commitment during last season. He was obviously very frustrated by the poor start the team had. But in his first season, he was very visible, very enthusiastic, and very positive. He was absolutely everywhere as he ingrained himself into the fabric of the school and the state of CT. He was a walking billboard!

Now, he doesn’t even mention UConn football on his Twitter profile! He retweets some things, but we don’t hear as much from him as we used to. Is the bad feeling I’m getting justified or is it just needless paranoia? I feel like I wouldn’t be surprised if one day soon, he announces that he’s leaving.

Reaction Score
This may be a weak thread, since I don’t have any solid info; but I just get a different feeling from Coach Mora nowadays. It started with his comments about needing more financial commitment during last season. He was obviously very frustrated by the poor start the team had. But in his first season, he was very visible, very enthusiastic, and very positive. He was absolutely everywhere as he ingrained himself into the fabric of the school and the state of CT. He was a walking billboard!

Now, he doesn’t even mention UConn football on his Twitter profile! He retweets some things, but we don’t hear as much from him as we used to. Is the bad feeling I’m getting justified or is it just needless paranoia? I feel like I wouldn’t be surprised if one day soon, he announces that he’s leaving.

I sense something too. But he’s tweeting quite a bit about UConn.

The football team isn’t really playing a strong hand right now. And I think he knows it.

Reaction Score

I also dig the old logo,

Reaction Score
I went to check after I saw this and he removed UConn Football from his Instagram bio. Though he has a lot of recent UConn Football posts and even posted about Paige and Nika's performances from yesterday

Reaction Score
I think this is much ado about nothing. He came in and made a splash when he was hired. Year1 was far above expectations, so he was out There alot After that. Year 2 was disappointing and so this year it is a much lower profile. Now he has made a number of changes, to the team and to the coaching staff. And a coach who finished 3-9 is just in less demand. If we were to turn things around and win 7 or 8 with P4 upset, he’ll be the talk of the town again.

Reaction Score
I think this is much ado about nothing. He came in and made a splash when he was hired. Year1 was far above expectations, so he was out There alot After that. Year 2 was disappointing and so this year it is a much lower profile. Now he has made a number of changes, to the team and to the coaching staff. And a coach who finished 3-9 is just in less demand. If we were to turn things around and win 7 or 8 with P4 upset, he’ll be the talk of the town again.

It seems he’s more of an Instagram guy.

Reaction Score
Whatever he does, he needs to teach the team to tackle. At the end of preseason last year he praised the team for learning how to play hard without injuring each other during camp.

Then we came out against NC State and missed dozens of tackles. So whatever we did in camp didn't work for the defense. Hope he learned something.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Maybe, emphasis on maybe, not getting the Big 12 invite took the wind out of his sails

I have nothing, no evidence, just answering a vague question with a vague response :)

Let's win more, I think we will, I think he suffered a little from the sophomore jinx last year

Reaction Score
Was hoping for more coverage of spring practices.
I think the CT sportswriters are spread thin right now with the men's and women's basketball teams going to the Final Four. Two years ago, the men's team was out of the tournament on March 17th. I would expect more coverage starting in a week. And I think he hyped up his first season, as he should, and the team had a decent season. There was some hype last season and the team played poorly and I do think the 0-5 and 1-9 start wore on Mora. I think he is tired of talking and wants to prove it on the field.

Reaction Score
Maybe, emphasis on maybe, not getting the Big 12 invite took the wind out of his sails

I have nothing, no evidence, just answering a vague question with a vague response :)

Let's win more, I think we will, I think he suffered a little from the sophomore jinx last year
And, I think the schedule ended up being tougher than expected. UConn played 9 bowl teams and were 1-8 against them. And, 5 of the team's losses were by 10 or fewer points. The only real WTF loss was to FIU.

Reaction Score
And, I think the schedule ended up being tougher than expected. UConn played 9 bowl teams and were 1-8 against them. And, 5 of the team's losses were by 10 or fewer points. The only real WTF loss was to FIU.
I do think there was something to this. The difference between 2022 and 2023 came down to a handful of plays. A missed extra point, a tying td called back a silly unsportsmanlike like penalty killing momentum. Everything that could have gone wrong did last year. Roberson I thought looked better later, too. More fully over his injury. If he is the quarterback, I think he will be better.

Reaction Score

You should try to be a little more positive! You sound like you are on suicide watch

Reaction Score
I think he is just happy to have both BB teams getting all the attention so FB can just put their heads down and grind away. If the men win there will be more talk of a realignment offer. He will want to keep the players focused. Just win, baby. The other stuff will take care of itself.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Same ‘ole same ‘ole at QB, no back-up kicker, meh home schedule. I‘d delete and run and hide too.

Reaction Score
We lost a lot of close games last year. Close loses you can pin in most cases to coaching, especially when you lose most of them - in our case we lost all of them.

So if he wants to focus on his job vs social media I’m all good. Winning fixes most problems.

The bar is set very low this year, we win 5+ games he looks like a hero. As a team, we need to start playing something that looks resembles a confident, organized football team on both sides of the ball- setting a new standard for play. I would be happy with that if I see anything that resembles this in 2024.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Mora is concentrating on what is most important. A winning program. There has been so much turnover year to year administratively, things had to change. His coaching staff composition has changed, and he needs to be CEO more than anything but this is the time the foundation is laid for next year.

Reaction Score
Same ‘ole same ‘ole at QB, no back-up kicker, meh home schedule. I‘d delete and run and hide too.
You want to stay in the NEWBIE. You don’t want toon a conference. What do you think the home schedule is going to look like? Last year we had NC State and Duke. This year Wake. When you are an Indy, you need to take what’s available. The home schedule will vary in quality from year to year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom