Jim Calhoun's Legacy | The Boneyard

Jim Calhoun's Legacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been a UConn basketball fan for 50 years, starting with the Kimball/Bialosuknia years. Those were good teams but Jim Calhoun elevated this program to a whole different level and Kevin Ollie just showed that he has what it takes to keep us at that elevated level. It is interesting that despite all the post season success UConn has had, particularly these past 15 years, that the sports media continues to underestimate us and treat us like we don't belong with the "elite" programs. I used to think they just didn't like Calhoun or his intense personality. But Kevin is very different from Coach Calhoun and yet we saw the same lack of respect throughout this tournament. I have come to the conclusion they don't get what makes UConn's teams so special. They out-compete opponents and virtually will themselves to victories in big games. That is Calhoun's legacy. There is no more competitive coach in America than Jim Calhoun. It is that competitive spirit and will to win that he ingrains in his players and has ingrained in the program. Kevin Ollie personifies it. He is the perfect guy to carry on the legacy. He hung on in the NBA by persevering. He was cut by 9 NBA teams in his career but through sheer willpower and hardwork, he was able to play in the NBA for all those years. No question Calhoun was a great teacher and game coach and clearly Kevin Ollie has demonstrated that he is as well. But I think what sets this program apart from so many others is that will to win, even when the odds are stacked against us and so many are counting us out.

I never thought I would see another performance as gutsy as Kemba's performance in 2011. I thought we would never see another undersized guard strap a team on his back and lead a team through the tournament like he did. Here we are three short years later and Shabazz equalled that performance. I can't think of anything more enjoyable in sports than to see a player push themselves to the extreme limit and accomplish what almost everyone said they couldn't accomplish. Obviously both Kemba and Shabazz are great talents but beyond that they also had that unbelievable will to win that was ingrained in them by Coach Calhoun and Coach Ollie. I'm sure they would have been good players wherever they went to school but I don't think either of them would have developed the same degree of competitive drive and willpower that they did in this program. Boatright is the next in line and you can see him developing that same competitive drive and willpower that is now the hallmark of this program. I hope he comes back for his senior year.

This is Jim Calhoun's legacy. This is what defines UConn basketball. I'm sure the national media is still trying to figure out how this team of undersized guards with no real physical presence down low was able to overcome the odds and beat several teams that were bigger, stronger and supposedly more talented. They are also trying to figure out how this "second tier" program was able to accomplish what none of the so-called "elite" programs have even come close to accomplishing, win four championships in 15 years. The media doesn't get it and most of them never will. They will continue to put us in a category just below Duke, UNC, Kentucky and Kansas even though none of those programs can match what we've done. Who cares. Let them continue to underestimate us. We are UConn. We are Willpower U. Thank you Jim Calhoun! Thank you Kevin Ollie!

Reaction Score
His best bench move ever was leaving it one month before practice started, forcing the hand of Manuel and ensuring that Ollie succeeded him.
Neither UCLA, UNC, Indiana or any other major program has had a successful transition from a HOF coach. Thank you Coach Calhoun. Thank you Coach Ollie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#
Top Bottom