Jessica Shepard transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jessica Shepard transferring

Reaction Score
Then please don't. You laid a pretty heavy accusation on a young lady, you were asked to justify the accusation. Let's not make this about something else.

Ok well if anyone will read the thread I posted, you will see people questing if Shepard was trying to "call the shots on the team" I've seen the same thing said about Diamond on this very board, maybe it's all speculation.

Reaction Score
Not quite - he definitely had a few words for a certain player who tried to trip him in the handshake line.

Thanks Triad, needed to be called out!
Cancer, yup, that sure was my impression of Kaili McLaren when she was on the team - NOT! One of the best teammates we've had and a personal favorite.
Okay, that's true, but that was so beyond the pale that even Geno had to say something. The allegation in this thread is that he said something that would reflect on the personal appearance olf an opposing player, and I would want to see proof of that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hate to say I told you so. When Chatrice White committed to Illinois and Shepard committed to Nebraska I predicted both of these ladies would soon become disgruntled, would not move forward as players and would ultimately transfer. Watching Shepard's non progress was particularly painful as she gained more weight, lost her inside footwork, and clearly stopped listening to her coaches. She's still young with tons of potential and plenty of time to right her ship. But it's an old adage that you don't say yes to the first girl that hands you a flower.
Fair enough @JordyG, I'm going to hold you to the same standard. What was it about White & Shepard that led you to those predictions of transfer & disgruntlement?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Another Center is also leaving her school.....

Fasoula To Transfer from BC

I didn't quite know where to piggyback this development, but remembered writing this piece on BC's coach.

Mariella Fasoula, who just finished her sophomore year, was the team's leading scorer and rebounder. She is one of those 6/4" players who does not look like a primo athlete (like, say, A'ja Wilson), but she scores in interesting ways and always seems to be around the ball.

The only other BC scorer in double figures -- Kelly Hughes -- is graduating. And a check of the BC roster now shows a mere 8 players. Not a good situation.

I know Coach Johnson's contract goes on for two more years but the new athletic director needs to address this continual slide ASAP. Stay tuned.

Mariella Fasoula to Transfer From Women's Basketball - The Heights[/QUOTE]

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ok well if anyone will read the thread I posted, you will see people questing if Shepard was trying to "call the shots on the team" I've seen the same thing said about Diamond on this very board, maybe it's all speculation.
I did read the post, and quite frankly you should have cited this as source when first asked.
Even with Diamond there is always push back on the BY when the "team chemistry" issues were raised.

Reaction Score
Then please be sure to leave a light on for the rest of us, just in case you get there first. :D

You were not being singled out. Regardless, I apologize if you thought you were. The issue was the attribution of the conditioning comment to Geno which has now been confirmed (somewhat) by @Jimbo post. The far nastier accusation is the one you addressed a few post ago and on that issue we are in total agreement.

View attachment 21225
Obviously ---you need not apologize---my (last statement in parenthesis was to assure you I didn't take it personally) But be assure that I shall be among the welcoming committee in hell ---long before the rest of you arrive. If the weather isn't warmer than Connecticut and not as cloudy dull days---I'm leaving, I'll send you a forwarding address.

On retrospect---the easiest point from which to view comments--I realized what you were doing---I'm good --you are good. if you are good. You, are the one who nearly always understands my nonsense, idiocy--.

Reaction Score
So Diamond can get pretty much drug thru the mud here, same goes for Diggins, but when I call Shepard a team cancer my post gets changed? Hate to make this a black vs white thing but....

see here for any inside Info on the program here :

Shepard Transferring
"Hate to make this a black versus white thing." Then don't. There have certainly been a lot of harsh comments about Deshields and unkind comments about Diggins, but nothing approaching your completely unfounded statement about Shepard.

Reaction Score
Can we please ease up on all this talk about this girls conditioning & and or motivation and talk about her basketball skills?

Conditioning IS a basketball skill. I know women don't like to talk about weight but it really does matter in a sport like this.

Reaction Score
So Diamond can get pretty much drug thru the mud here, same goes for Diggins, but when I call Shepard a team cancer my post gets changed? Hate to make this a black vs white thing but....

see here for any inside Info on the program here :

Shepard Transferring
You won't make it black vs white thing---believe me.

I have had harsh words for Diamond because her talent is extraordinary--and ill used.
Diggins ---she too drew unkind words--as she played for ND---she , maybe alone, was a factor in beating Uconn multiple times.
Should I have liked that? She had Notre Dame tactics--that I still complain about--and I complained loudly about Diggy Baby
But she too must be acknowledged as a top Women BB talent.

Reaction Score
Again, no comparison. At Tennessee DD seems to have been pretty supportive of the coach and has not tried to play general manager, but at North Carolina she was demonstrably out of control.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Conditioning IS a basketball skill. I know women don't like to talk about weight but it really does matter in a sport like this.
Agree completely that conditioning is a highly desirable basketball skill and that if Shepard were evaluated against this skill she might evaluate poorly. But that was not the issue, it was the attribution of a comment about Shepard's conditioning to Geno. @Jimbo post provide the quote from Geno which makes it somewhat more clear.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It's been a long journey for women's ball at BC as I recall. Abusive coach allegations in the way back I believe.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's been a long journey for women's ball at BC as I recall. Abusive coach allegations in the way back I believe.
@RockyMTblue2 I believe the most recent abusive coach allegation were at Boston University not Boston College.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@RockyMTblue2 I believe the most recent abusive coach allegation were at Boston University not Boston College.

Ah, your are dead one. Apologies to BC. It was a strange, though increasingly not atypical one. Very split team and former players on the coach.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Ah, your are dead one. Apologies to BC. It was a strange, though increasingly not atypical one. Very split team and former players on the coach.
Don't kill him. He was just trying to be helpful. Besides, he is given to occasional insight and is generally worth reading. :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't kill him. He was just trying to be helpful. Besides, he is given to occasional insight and is generally worth reading. :cool:

I left the o off Geno and put an e on on! Sinus infection meds have me pretty whacked!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Fair enough @JordyG, I'm going to hold you to the same standard. What was it about White & Shepard that led you to those predictions of transfer & disgruntlement?
A few things. I said so then that neither of these two would receive the level of coaching necessary to fulfill their potential. I said then that neither of those colleges would be able to surround them with the players and off court training they would need. I also said at the time that when each of these players failed to make the NCAA's their may be additional attitude issues. I noted this before the coaching issues at Illinois. I continued to note how each of these young women never appeared to be in good basketball shape. I frankly thought Shepard was going to leave after her first year. What surprised me was how much White wanted to remain at Illinois and finally seemed to grudgingly accept the fact that that program had tanked. I've always given a bit of a side eye to those that give some colleges a home town discount. Not that there is anything untoward going on, and yeah, this often the hardest decision these young ladies have ever had to make. I would just like some of them to be a little more patient and invest a little more time in their decision, and not just go to mom and dad's school.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
A few things. I said so then that neither of these two would receive the level of coaching necessary to fulfill their potential. I said then that neither of those colleges would be able to surround them with the players and off court training they would need. I also said at the time that when each of these players failed to make the NCAA's their may be additional attitude issues. I noted this before the coaching issues at Illinois. I continued to note how each of these young women never appeared to be in good basketball shape. I frankly thought Shepard was going to leave after her first year. What surprised me was how much White wanted to remain at Illinois and finally seemed to grudgingly accept the fact that that program had tanked. I've always given a bit of a side eye to those that give some colleges a home town discount. Not that there is anything untoward going on, and yeah, this often the hardest decision these young ladies have ever had to make. I would just like some of them to be a little more patient and invest a little more time in their decision, and not just go to mom and dad's school.

"also said at the time that when each of these players failed to make the NCAA's their may be additional attitude issues."

"their(sic) may be"!!!! You know this how?

Reaction Score
"also said at the time that when each of these players failed to make the NCAA's their may be additional attitude issues."

Uh oh.....forget about player speculation. It's the Kibitzer he needs to answer to!

JordyG

Reaction Score

Just a guess on human nature. I know how I would react after being one of the most sought after players coming out of HS. Then watching year after year as others in your conference make it to the Boogie and your team is forever a bridesmaid. As Shepard said, it's tough to maintain a positive attitude, and any negativity is seen as either immaturity or surliness.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Uh oh.....forget about player speculation. It's the Kibitzer he needs to answer to!
I apologize for my hand held.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Jordy: A few questions on/comments resulting from both your comments.

- Chartrice White entered Illinois in 2014 and transferred after the end of the 2015-16 season. Jessica Shepard entered Nebraska in 2015 and announced her decision to transfer after the 2016-17 season. I followed the Illinois and Nebraska situations pretty closely last spring as they unfurled; in part because ND had been involved with White during her initial recruiting and then again as a transfer. And the Connie Yori situation caught my attention because a fairly successful program and its coach seemed to be caught up in a lot of "he/she/they saids" in which no one comes out ahead.

- I started reading the Boneyard throughout 2015 and joined in November of that year, so I didn't see whatever comments you may have made on White prior to that.

- And I must have missed the same on Shepard because I would've questioned it. Connie Yori is the most successful coach in Nebraska Women's Hoops and her teams were pretty steadily making the WNIT or NCAAs. Shepard committed early...before her freshman year in HS....and during that time Yori's team made the Sweet Sixteen and second round of the NCAAs.
When she joined her frosh year, she was playing with two pretty good guards in Rachel Theriot and Natalie Romeo and in 2016 two more Hoopgurlz 100 guards were going to join in Mi'Cole Cayton (now at California) and "Miss Basketball - Illinois," Kathleen Doyle (now starting for Iowa).

So, my question on Shepard is how did you know that was a bad situation for her from the get go? She grew up in and around the Lincoln area so her commitment to the Cornhuskers seemed to be as much cultural as anything else. And the end game seems to be another result of several connected situations going bad....

- As for Illinois, that seemed unstable from the very get go with player defections and lawsuits. You're right, I do remember Chartrice White and her father sticking with and supporting Bollant when no one else seemed to, but she saw the very plain writing on the wall.

BTW, I've seen White play a lot this year and still don't feel as if she's expanded/made her game more efficient since the transfer to FSU...until the last game against S.Carolina, where she looked challenged and started making some effective post moves and grabbing some strong rebounds against Carolina's bigs. Hope to see more of that next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom