Jessica Shepard transferring | The Boneyard

Jessica Shepard transferring

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

She was obviously Nebraska's best player the past 2 years, any chance Geno kicks the tires here?

Reaction Score
didn't Geno call her out being needing to work on her conditioning in a Uconn vs Nebraska post game this season?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's good, but if she wants to be really good she needs to spend her year off doing serious conditioning.
I saw Nebraska play on TV later in the year after the UCONN game and a couple of games before the conference tournament and she was significantly skinnier that she was in the UCONN game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She's what you would call a team cancer!, didn't Geno call her out being needing to work on her conditioning in a Uconn vs Nebraska post game this season?
Cancer based on what exactly? From everything I've read about her she a great kid during HS, USA basketball and at Nebraska. She was transparent in the recruiting process saying Nebraska was it for her very early on. She stuck around at Nebraska after a coaching change.
I don't recall Geno ever commenting about the conditioning of another team's player!

Reaction Score
Yeah. When, exactly, did Geno say such a thing. The next time Geno calls out an opposing player will, IMHO, be the first time.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah. When, exactly, did Geno say such a thing. The next time Geno calls out an opposing player will, IMHO, be the first time.
Not quite - he definitely had a few words for a certain player who tried to trip him in the handshake line.
She's what you would call a team cancer!, didn't Geno call her out being needing to work on her conditioning in a Uconn vs Nebraska post game this season?
So chunky players are team cancers ? :rolleyes:
Thanks Triad, needed to be called out!
Cancer, yup, that sure was my impression of Kaili McLaren when she was on the team - NOT! One of the best teammates we've had and a personal favorite.

Reaction Score

She was obviously Nebraska's best player the past 2 years, any chance Geno kicks the tires here?

When you have 15 and most are new Masarati's (sp) in your garage --one more Caddy just won't fit.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is Geno interested, who knows. CD has a vote as does everyone on the team. Even if she was not a project I would hope UConn does'nt bite and stays after the bigs it is pursuing now. Not looking to look like McGuff or Dawn on transfers.

Reaction Score
Cancer based on what exactly? From everything I've read about her she a great kid during HS, USA basketball and at Nebraska. She was transparent in the recruiting process saying Nebraska was it for her very early on. She stuck around at Nebraska after a coaching change.
I don't recall Geno ever commenting about the conditioning of another team's player!
That isn't like Geno to comment on an opponent's players--unless it's about off court words--and I'll put real money on : Geno would never speak (publicly) about the conditioning of non uconn players.
To use CANCER to describe a player or a situation on a team--is just plain ignorance (not knowing what you don't know)--Cancer--even for people like me , who survived one, never know where the next one will come--my sister has survived 5--it's an insidious disease

Reaction Score
Is Geno interested, who knows. CD has a vote as does everyone on the team. Even if she was not a project I would hope UConn does'nt bite and stays after the bigs it is pursuing now. Not looking to look like McGuff or Dawn on transfers.

I haven't actually counted those here and those transferred in and those coming ---but it's close to 15 and I thought that was the limit.
I'm pretty sure Geno is not looking at Transfers any longer. He has 5 perfect starters--add 2 transfers add 4 of the best/top recruits and Natalie, Molly, Kyla --14. If look at the Bigs on his recruiting wish list--and he apparently as at least one interested--who needs the extra work to condition someone--who may not want to be conditioned!!!!

Reaction Score
Either support this accusation or withdraw it.
The interesting thing about the internet is ----once you write it--it's out there forever. You may apologize and refute it but --
you can't actually with draw it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I haven't actually counted those here and those transferred in and those coming ---but it's close to 15 and I thought that was the limit.
I'm pretty sure Geno is not looking at Transfers any longer. He has 5 perfect starters--add 2 transfers add 4 of the best/top recruits and Natalie, Molly, Kyla --14. If look at the Bigs on his recruiting wish list--and he apparently as at least one interested--who needs the extra work to condition someone--who may not want to be conditioned!!!!
The UCONN roster for the 2016-17 season will be 14-assuming no additions or subtractions.
Can we please ease up on all this talk about this girls conditioning & and or motivation and talk about her basketball skills?
I'll start us off on a positive- Jessica Shepard is USA basketball level top 10 talent in her class.
For those that insist on dwelling on the negative she also appears to be a high volume, low accuracy (41% overall) shooter.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I dont know the details but was Sheppard involved in any way with former Nebraska coach Connie Yorri losing her job, or stepping down?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I dont know the details but was Sheppard involved in any way with former Nebraska coach Connie Yorri losing her job, or stepping down?
Hard (maybe impossible) to tell would be my answer.

"According to a source with knowledge of the investigation who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the athletic department had questioned “quite a few” players about the coach’s conduct and leadership.
No single issue led to some players’ dissatisfaction with Yori and some members of her coaching staff, the source said.
“It was a collective thing going on here,” the source said, and players “weren’t held to the same standard” and were “treated unequally.”

Connie Yori resigns as Husker women's basketball coach amid bullying allegations, 'vehemently' denies wrongdoing

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Well, just to set the record straight, and in partial defense of Go/huskies, Geno was quoted as saying this about Shepard after the Nebraska game:

“Obviously, she’s very skilled. I think she’s got a lot of great tools to work with. She needs to just keep working on her conditioning and on her stamina so she can use those skills.”

Top dogs put on a show: Huskers frustrated by UConn's defense, lose to No. 1 Huskies

So there was at least something to this, although one can debate whether that is "calling her out," exactly. And in any event, calling her a "team cancer" seems to me extremely inappropriate.

As far as adding her by way of transfer, I just don't see it. Geno has rarely taken transfers (he's taken more than usual the past couple years, I know, but I think that's an exception more than it is a new trend). Also, the roster will soon be as full as it's been in a long time, and after that, there's major post help coming when Charli Collier arrives. I could be wrong, obviously, but this doesn't seem like a spot where he's especially likely to add a transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The UCONN roster for the 2016-17 season will be 14-assuming no additions or subtractions.
Can we please ease up on all this talk about this girls conditioning & and or motivation and talk about her basketball skills?
I'll start us off on a positive- Jessica Shepard is USA basketball level top 10 talent in her class.
For those that insist on dwelling on the negative she also appears to be a high volume, low accuracy (41% overall) shooter.

Dwell as we may--it is in response to the original comment and projection of Shepard transferring to Uconn---and in that I shall Dwell all the way to hell. And here I am dwelling again---Geno won't take on another project even if that project is only conditioning. Is that sufficient dwelling for you?

I take a personal affront to be singled out of several others making comment along the same lines. I don't believe any of my comment were nasty, I'm sure she would not like reading the conditioning issues, but I was not the one who started this thread with CONDITIONING IN THE INITIAL POSTING. (of course I dont' take this personally---but if pushed I could)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dwell as we may--it is in response to the original comment and projection of Shepard transferring to Uconn---and in that I shall Dwell all the way to hell.
Then please be sure to leave a light on for the rest of us, just in case you get there first. :D

I take a personal affront to be singled out of several others making comment along the same lines. I don't believe any of my comment were nasty, I'm sure she would not like reading the conditioning issues, but I was not the one who started this thread with CONDITIONING IN THE INITIAL POSTING. (of course I dont' take this personally---but if pushed I could)
You were not being singled out. Regardless, I apologize if you thought you were. The issue was the attribution of the conditioning comment to Geno which has now been confirmed (somewhat) by @Jimbo post. The far nastier accusation is the one you addressed a few post ago and on that issue we are in total agreement.

Namaste.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She'd sit a year,ala Butler, but I believe it is that next year that Geno has 2 bigs on the list. Bigs are said to take more time, so why make it less with Geno et al with a big transfer who may chase a better recruit away?

Reaction Score
So Diamond can get pretty much drug thru the mud here, same goes for Diggins, but when I call Shepard a team cancer my post gets changed? Hate to make this a black vs white thing but....

see here for any inside Info on the program here :

Shepard Transferring

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hard (maybe impossible) to tell would be my answer.

"According to a source with knowledge of the investigation who spoke on the condition of anonymity, the athletic department had questioned “quite a few” players about the coach’s conduct and leadership.
No single issue led to some players’ dissatisfaction with Yori and some members of her coaching staff, the source said.
“It was a collective thing going on here,” the source said, and players “weren’t held to the same standard” and were “treated unequally.”

Connie Yori resigns as Husker women's basketball coach amid bullying allegations, 'vehemently' denies wrongdoing

I remember a number of us spending resources (time) on this one because it just didn't seem to be going anywhere, except for the Nebraska players and notable recruits of 2017 who all went elsewhere, from Washington (Natalie Romeo) and Iowa (Kathleen Doyle). Shepard who was heavily recruited by Yow stayed but -- according to this article -- she and Williams are in agreement about Shepard moving on.

Jessica Shepard to transfer from Nebraska women's basketball team

Shepard had a tougher time this season, not having Rachel Theriot, Natalie Romeo or Doyle's play to distract defenders from doubling down on her.

It will be interesting to see where she looks. I'm not sure if the B1G makes you add an extra year for transferring within the conference (like the ACC). If not, perhaps she stays in that conference with a solid, established or one on the rise. Or does she take her talents to an Elite 8 school, regardless of where it is?
Guess we'll find out.

Tough week for the B1G, with Shepard and Kysre Gondrezick taking leave of their respective programs.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I hate to say I told you so. When Chatrice White committed to Illinois and Shepard committed to Nebraska I predicted both of these ladies would soon become disgruntled, would not move forward as players and would ultimately transfer. Watching Shepard's non progress was particularly painful as she gained more weight, lost her inside footwork, and clearly stopped listening to her coaches. She's still young with tons of potential and plenty of time to right her ship. But it's an old adage that you don't say yes to the first girl that hands you a flower.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom