Jeff Jacobs Nails It On Playcalling | The Boneyard

Jeff Jacobs Nails It On Playcalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I'd agree for the most part. Only thing I'm not sure about is saying the team isn't as popular now. What's he comparing that to, the Fiesta Bowl season? He should check to see how popular we were after getting shut out by Louisville that year.

Reaction Score
I'd agree for the most part. Only thing I'm not sure about is saying the team isn't as popular now. What's he comparing that to, the Fiesta Bowl season? He should check to see how popular we were after getting shut out by Louisville that year.

The first step in recovery (getting the UConn ship point back in the right direction) is admitting there a problem . . . PP,PP,PP,PP,PP.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
The first step in recovery (getting the UConn ship point back in the right direction) is admitting there a problem . . . PP,PP,PP,PP,PP.

Just checking (why I don't know) but I assume your preferred plan of action is to can PP and GDL tonight and move to an interim head coach until we can convince Bobby Petrino to come to UConn? Is that the plan?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Less excitement is one thing: there's a bad economy, no population growth except at the wrong end, and Jacobs always misses that.

You know why the Courant's circulation is off? Jacobs blase writing. He writes a good column here and there but its been since Edsall he's had two decent columns in a row.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Just checking (why I don't know) but I assume your preferred plan of action is to can PP and GDL tonight and move to an interim head coach until we can convince Bobby Petrino to come to UConn? Is that the plan?

You can' t hire Petrino without setting him up with his own private Spirit Crew and Entourage. You know, babes too cute and too fit for the current crew.

Reaction Score

That'd be awesome. And if Petrino could get here before the end of the season, we'd have an offense before the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Second half,4 th and 7 on I believe the Buffalo 38 and we call timeout. We come out of the timeout and line up for a play and proceed to try and draw the Bulls offside with the snapcount. Instead we take a delay of game penalty to punt. Anyone looking for exciting football knew then that they were in the wrong place. I sure hope we keep Hyppolite nailed to the bench, can't have that type of thing happen again. No runs outside the tackles. PP won't be able to hide the offense he is signing off on starting at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Second half,4 th and 7 on I believe the Buffalo 38 and we call timeout. We come out of the timeout and line up for a play and proceed to try and draw the Bulls offside with the snapcount. Instead we take a delay of game penalty to punt. Anyone looking for exciting football knew then that they were in the wrong place. I sure hope we keep Hyppolite nailed to the bench, can't have that type of thing happen again. No runs outside the tackles. PP won't be able to hide the offense he is signing off on starting at Rutgers.

LMAO

Reaction Score
Garrick at Arkansas would have been the move, but their Offense is pretty bad this year too.

Reaction Score
He's a goofball. From how it looked on TV, this game was fairly well-attended. Our attendance was 34,666 people.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
weeeellll, I don't know much about much but this made sense to me.

If we draw them offsides, we have a 4th and 2. If not, we have a better chance to drop a punt inside the 10.

Granted, not super exciting, but logical.

Reaction Score
weeeellll, I don't know much about much but this made sense to me.

If we draw them offsides, we have a 4th and 2. If not, we have a better chance to drop a punt inside the 10.

Granted, not super exciting, but logical.
I greed with trying to draw them offside and take the delay if game call if it failed, but we needed to call a timeout, immediately after UB had called their timeout in between the same play, to come up with this gem of a play. Everyone in the building and watching on TV knew what the plan was, so why the need for a TO? It's a little thing, but its one of a lot of little things that all add up to the Offensive coaching and play calling being pedestrian.

Reaction Score
won't read him.

tripe and filth is all he spews, and not worth the ink on the ink on the page.

Don't see much of that in this sentence

Here's something else to consider. Of 26 first-and-10 situations, including the victory formation with 12 seconds left, McCombs ran the ball 22 times. Here's a scoop. First and 10. Handoff to McCombs. In the first four games, UConn ran the ball 73 percent of the time on first down. On Saturday, it was 85 percent of the time. In fact, 22 of McCombs' 29 carries were on first down.

Reaction Score
I think the bottom line for me is that we need reporters who are not afraid to brooch the subject with the coaches and not settle for the same canned answers they have been getting. If that means we need a Jacobs to take them to task ala his battles with Calhoun then so be it. Until a reporter steps up to ask the hard questions the Jacobs approach will have to do for me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I (a)greed with trying to draw them offside and take the delay if game call

It was embarrasing. "High school" a guy in our section called it.

Reaction Score
Good job not showing my entire quote, the part where I said everyone in the building knew it was coming (including the guy in your section). It's not HS, that call happens all the time in those situations, in college and the NFL. Its not like our offense was banging out7 yard plays at ahigh rate yesterday where we had a better than average chance of getting the 1st down. The fact we had to call a TO, immediately after UB called a TO, in order to come up with it was the joke.

Reaction Score

That comment is offensive to high school coaches everywhere!

The indirect impact of HCPP and sidekick GD is that teams typically take on the personality of their coach....and I don't see a lot of fire in the belly anywhere. At least not what you typically see from college teams. Looks like an NFL mentality without the NFL talent.

Maybe Mr. Burton knew more than we gave him credit for. Poor method of delivery of the message on his part but he is probably chuckling to himself right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duke79

Top Bottom