Jayda Adams Plans to Emerge from Katie Lou | The Boneyard

Jayda Adams Plans to Emerge from Katie Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
hmmmm.

Jayda's father, Jerrald, said last season was frustrating for his daughter, who is the middle child of three siblings.

"Jayda is a shooter -- I've seen her hit nine 3-pointers in a game," Jerrald said. "You never have to tell her to practice her shooting. She takes 1,000 shots a day. She can shoot the NBA 3s easily."

Given her abilities, it's not a surprise she wanted the ball more last season, even as she understood that the offense revolved around Samuelson.

"There would be times that Jayda would be wide-open," Jerrald said. "[Samuelson] would have two or three players on her, and Jayda would yell: 'I'm open! Pass the ball!' But the ball would still go to Samuelson."

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
hmmmm.

Jayda's father, Jerrald, said last season was frustrating for his daughter, who is the middle child of three siblings.

"Jayda is a shooter -- I've seen her hit nine 3-pointers in a game," Jerrald said. "You never have to tell her to practice her shooting. She takes 1,000 shots a day. She can shoot the NBA 3s easily."

Given her abilities, it's not a surprise she wanted the ball more last season, even as she understood that the offense revolved around Samuelson.

"There would be times that Jayda would be wide-open," Jerrald said. "[Samuelson] would have two or three players on her, and Jayda would yell: 'I'm open! Pass the ball!' But the ball would still go to Samuelson."

If anyone wants to know why all the college players are transferring schools, there is 51% of the answer.... Parents can be a great stabilizing force for their children, or a destabilizing one...

See the great post by UcMiami about transfers... and all the insightful posts w/ it. :)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Anyone want to bet the Jayda will end up with UConn after reading this article? Don't think so.

HGN

Reaction Score
If anyone wants to know why all the college players are transferring schools, there is 51% of the answer.... Parents can be a great stabilizing force for their children, or a destabilizing one...

See the great post by UcMiami about transfers... and all the insightful posts w/ it. :)
David , you are correct. This is a main reason for many transfers....Parents. And it dawned upon me that Mr. Adams is probably mad that his two(2) daughters have had to play 2nd fiddle to other Stars at Mater Dei during their careers. I think one older daughter (Jordan Adams ) who was signed by Southern California , played 2nd fiddle to KML. Now its maybe Jayda having to play 2nd fiddle to KLS.
Geno can probably write-off recruiting Jayda as long as KLS is in Storrs. Or if Mr. Adams has a say in it.

Reaction Score
It's possible that he as just "letting off steam", but the nature of media today means that this quote will follow the two of them around for a long time. Unfortunate for Jayda.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wouldn't put too much stock in what a father says. I'm sure he wanted his daughter to score 25 points a game. My dad wanted me to be president. Or an astronaut. Oopsie...

From Jayda herself: "They wanted team players," said Adams, 16, when asked how she made the squad. "I did what the coaches were asking for: I played the defense I know how to play, I was very verbal and I ran the three sets they put in, getting everyone involved."

It sounds like she's a team first player who knows her time has come. From her HC and KLS:

"We didn't run any stuff for Jayda last season," Kiernan said. "She had to get it on her own -- and she did that very effectively. This year, we will run a lot of stuff for her."

Samuelson said she is proud of Adams.

"Jayda has started to develop into a great player," Samuelson said. "She didn't have much of an opportunity to be a scorer last season, but her defense and hustle made her valuable. She's a great shooter and all-around player. She's going to continue to get better and shock people."

I don't think she's going to be sneaking up and shocking people any time soon. she was one of 2 kids who paid their own way to the U16 USA trials, and made the team. Would love it if she were interested in UCONN.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Smart comments Eric. I hope that Jayda gets her chance to shine no that KLS is one of us.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I wouldn't put too much stock in what a father says. I'm sure he wanted his daughter to score 25 points a game. My dad wanted me to be president. Or an astronaut. Oopsie...

From Jayda herself: "They wanted team players," said Adams, 16, when asked how she made the squad. "I did what the coaches were asking for: I played the defense I know how to play, I was very verbal and I ran the three sets they put in, getting everyone involved."

It sounds like she's a team first player who knows her time has come. From her HC and KLS:

"We didn't run any stuff for Jayda last season," Kiernan said. "She had to get it on her own -- and she did that very effectively. This year, we will run a lot of stuff for her."

Samuelson said she is proud of Adams.

"Jayda has started to develop into a great player," Samuelson said. "She didn't have much of an opportunity to be a scorer last season, but her defense and hustle made her valuable. She's a great shooter and all-around player. She's going to continue to get better and shock people."

I don't think she's going to be sneaking up and shocking people any time soon. she was one of 2 kids who paid their own way to the U16 USA trials, and made the team. Would love it if she were interested in UCONN.

Yeah sounds like a perfect UCONN kid actually. People love to take one quote, from someone other than the player herself no less, and draw conclusions that are completely opposite of the situation at hand. Blowing it way out of proportion.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah sounds like a perfect UCONN kid actually. People love to take one quote, from someone other than the player herself no less, and draw conclusions that are completely opposite of the situation at hand. Blowing it way out of proportion.
It wasn't just "someone other than her" it was her Father. It wasn't just one quote either. I came away with the same impression "jeaolous stage Dad-Potential UCONN headache".
Her personal quotes did not dissuade me from this opinion because there are plenty of talented hard working kids out there that are not a fit for UCONN.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Mater Dei was not one big happy family when Kaleena and Jordan Adams played. Their respective families sat pretty far apart at MD games. History does tend to repeat itself.

Very gracious and generous comments by Katie Lou.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Anyone want to bet the Jayda will end up with UConn after reading this article? Don't think so.
I will take the under on that one.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
There is a lot I could say on the subject as I know many of the players and their families .
However, from the games I have seen, not all but many, I find this statement not believable.

KLS never had two or three players on her, without the ball. She had two or three players on her often when she had the ball, and would try and get the ball to others, move to get open, or draw a foul.

Jayda Adams has a bright future ahead. She is very athletic and can shoot the three point shot.

Reaction Score

At one time they called them Stage Mothers or Fathers---few have really talented kids, these are parents that live vicariously through their kids accomplishments, not good for the game or the kids. Encouragement is great, hovering isn't.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jordan was a pretty good player at Mater Dei. She was reasonably athletic, smart, tough, and versatile, but she was not a shooter. It sounds as if her sister may be a shooter.

There was a lot of talent on Kaleena's team, but looking at their college careers shows that K was head and shoulders the best. In the Calif. finals, K out scored Berkeley by herself in the second half. She was the one who could get it done. Lou was the NPOY. Can Jayda be anything close to the player that Lou was at MD?

I agree about Lou's classy comments. She and K are quality people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom