Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Jana - In Madrid - FIBA Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That is an amazing line for any player. Most teams don't have one player that can go off in a night and score 30 while UCONN has three, maybe four. The best part is she won't have the attention at UCONN that she is getting on that Egypt team this summer by the defenses. I am pleasantly surprised in how well she has played and really led her team.
An amazing line especially considering this was a classification game. No mailing it in. She’s prideful which is something Geno will tap into as her game develops, particularly on defense.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What do you do with so much talent and are only allowed to put 5 on the floor at a time? What do we know right now? I doubt if Geno knows who his starting 5 will be in November. I do know that Paige, Azzi and Aaliyah will be 3 of the starting 5. The other two?!? Anybody's guess. So many choices. Arguments can be made for at least 5 other players to fill those two other spots. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
If I recall, Jana was first noticed last summer when she posted a 36/24 game. 24 boards!
24 boards!!! That's like Paladin's "Have Gun - Will Travel" business card. If you've never heard of her, it tells you all you need to know about who she is, and what she does. ;)

1689957278344.png

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Jana and Amari playing a twin towers set at times this fall. With the attention Jana is bound to receive, Amari would be pretty much free to score -- which she knows how to do.

Also, watching the Taipei game, I am struck by how big and strong Jana is. I mean really strong. Let Andrea work with her in the weight room for a couple months and I think she'll surprise us all with how much stronger she can be than she already is.
Jana was rather aggressive under the boards. She had 8 rebounds in the fourth quarter alone.
In one sequence she was called for an offensive foul, fighting for position under the offensive
basket.... Clearly a foul, but it did not deter her determination for the rest of the quarter!
Jana ended up with 20 points in the Fourth Quarter. She hit 12 of 14 free throws and the
deciding ones two free throws in the last seconds. She hit 4 two-point shots from
close in, some after a rebound, nice put backs! Also in the fourth, there was a nice block by Jana. Give
credit to the whole Egyptian team for not giving up. Finally a nice point for China, .. once when
Jana was knocked to the floor, TWO Chinese players helped her up, one for each big hand!!! Nice
gesture Taipei!

Reaction Score
We know that Kitts, Fournier, and Prosper aren’t coming to UConn, but the rest make a nice shopping list for Geno. Let’s get Juste!
Note Allie Ziebell scored 9 points in this game ( against Czech Rep ). She played
21 minutes and 51 seconds and hit THREE FOR FOUR from 3 point land! I believe that
she was 6 for 11 in the previous game. I know this is the Jana thread, but while
MilfordHusky was discussing those players NOT coming to UCONN, NOTE the
Three Pointe shooter COMING to UCONN 9 for 15 in two games!! GO ALLIE!! GO HUSKIES!
and CONTINUE JANA!!!

Reaction Score
You know. She is beginning to remind me more of Delle Donne than Stewie when I watch her. Maybe it's the combination of her movement and scoring with being thicker than Stewie.

I would be interested to see her as the SF in a big line up for a change up few minutes in a UConn game. You could put Edwards and Ice or even a healthy improved Amari in the mix and see what happens.
I'd prefer her being a 5. I always want to see UCONN run. If she is a 3 UCONN won't run near as much, in addition to have a fast-paced wide open offense where the lanes are clear. She looks exceleent for a 5 in any pace. but as of this moment looks to have the outside shot, and handle to penetrate much, much more than a usual 5 while while looks to be able to drive and finish with either hand. That's a handful for an opposing slower center or someone not as equipped/expereinced/comfortable to guard a center that is a legit triple-threat starting from the perimeter..

For the smaller ones, UCONN playing the smaller teams- UCONN should have a group of good/great shooting perimeter players as they usually do even down the road - allowing the offense to spread which can enhance her ability to post the smaller players and even pass in a magnificent way if all goes according to how she is playing. -- Amazing isn't it?

It's nice to speculate and dream of a possibility rather than pray player's so banged up that they can give you just a few good minutes before wondering if they will be forced to the sideline.

Jana is definteley exciting to see. Man, what a game (not just "a game").

Carnac

Reaction Score
Highlights from today's game:

I'm sorry. I realize this is not against the level of the D1 opponents she'll see in league play, but these are impressive numbers, especially against her peers, the best players in her age group from around the world. If she is able to have a breakout game EARLY in the season similar to those of then freshmen Crystal Dangerfield and Christyn Williams, then we're going to know something. How can you not be impressed with the numbers Jana is putting up? :eek:

Geno said Ayanna Patterson is progressing very nicely, and does not look anything like herself from last year. Ice Brady and Amari DeBerry are coming back healthy with a chip on their shoulders. Brady (knee injury) is looking to make up for lost time from missing the entire season last year. DeBerry had back surgery earlier this summer, which is thought to be a contributing factor why she was used sparingly last year.

SMH. Geno can keep a fresh, rested and hungry (highly motivated) body in the paint for 40 minutes this year with this quartet. It's refreshing to not have to whine and complain about not having any BIGS this year. :D Only 25 days until UConn begins its European tour, Aug 15-25.

UConn will tour Zagreb Croatia; Ljubljana Slovenia; Bologna Italy and Venice Italy. The Huskies will play 4 exhibition games, one in each city on the tour.

UCONN WBB TO TOUR EUROPE IN AUGUST

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Nice set of JANA highlights. There was another one (of many)
where Jana scored a layup on a transition sequence... nice
way to run the floor, Jana. ( She led the break out!)
Maybe she's been reading comments about herself here in the yard?!? :eek: The team does know about this forum. Whether they come here or not is a mystery. I think they would be better off NOT coming here........ever!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would also like a "detailed" state of the team report from Geno just before they leave for Europe. A brief update on each player, and what he hopes/expects to see from each one of them in the 4 exhibition games.

Reaction Score
Note Allie Ziebell scored 9 points in this game ( against Czech Rep ). She played
21 minutes and 51 seconds and hit THREE FOR FOUR from 3 point land! I believe that
she was 6 for 11 in the previous game. I know this is the Jana thread, but while
MilfordHusky was discussing those players NOT coming to UCONN, NOTE the
Three Pointe shooter COMING to UCONN 9 for 15 in two games!! GO ALLIE!! GO HUSKIES!
and CONTINUE JANA!!!
Interesting how the USA guards have suddenly started passing the ball to a wide open Allie!:p The first few games it seemed like she was invisible.

Reaction Score
Question for the forum:
Do you think any of Jana's success can be attributed to her short tenure at UCONN? Or was she always this talented without the exposure? Has Geno already refined this siamond in the rough? Or is she already a star taking it to the hext level?

Reaction Score
Question for the forum:
Do you think any of Jana's success can be attributed to her short tenure at UCONN? Or was she always this talented without the exposure? Has Geno already refined this siamond in the rough? Or is she already a star taking it to the hext level?
The 'GENO effect' is clearly on MY mind. January through April and then June. And more improvement to come.
Jana already came with the motivation/desire! Go Jana, Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I love this latest set of clips from the Taipei game. On the fast break, Jana gathers in the pass and just before she bowls over the defender, a sudden pivot and she goes around her to avoid the charge. I’ve never seen Aaliyah or Dorka do something like that.

On the drive from the elbow, the double team is coming so she eurosteps through it with the ball high and flips it in. But what caught my eye is how quick Jana’s first step is. Big girls don’t typically have a quick first step. But Jana does. :D

Reaction Score
Question for the forum:
Both.
No way can you say it was all Geno. That would sort of be insutling. Jana had to execute.
But no way can anyone say little-to-nothing either.
I'm also counting the player's whom Jana competed agaianst as "part of Geno." because it's his practices that set the drills and other competitions etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SMH. Geno can keep a fresh, rested and hungry (highly motivated) body in the paint for 40 minutes this year with this quartet. It's refreshing to not have to whine and complain about not having any BIGS this year. :D Only 25 days until UConn begins its European tour, Aug 15-25.
And we also had to whine about not having enough guards and forwards too. It would be refresheing to break free of this 2 year curse.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wasn’t there a recent quote that Jana’s dad, seeing his daughter after her first semester at UConn, was surprised how by how much she’d improved? Dad’s a coach and he would see the improvements clearly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom