Jana El Alfy to UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jana El Alfy to UConn

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think you mean Shade in place of Watkins!
I think it's called wishful thinking. I think he means both.

Reaction Score
WOW WOW WOW The Future is Bright. UConn has a great roster now....next season I dont see how we loose a game so long as we're healthy. Next season we just may have 5 AA's and POY and FOY (freshman of the year).
LOL

Reaction Score
If we add Juste Joctye we'll be unbeatable......Keep your eyes peeled

Reaction Score
WOW WOW WOW The Future is Bright. UConn has a great roster now....next season I dont see how we loose a game so long as we're healthy. Next season we just may have 5 AA's and POY and FOY (freshman of the year).
Congrats Tonyc, you always know whats happening. I'm with you. You cannot have enough optimism with this team. We certainly have the talent to accomplish your bold prediction and do the same year after year, baring any catastrophic injuries to any of our players. It's a great feeling to be able to dream like this and the possibilities. YOU THE MAN! GO HUSKIES!!!

sun

Reaction Score
Come to think of it, maybe Jana can swing an NIL deal in Egypt to sell some of her UConn merchandise over there.
Maybe a win win for UConn & Jana if she has enough popularity in Egypt.
As a coach, her dad probably has some business connections.
Maybe it could help pay for airline tickets.
They could open up a Huskies sports cafe where new fans can watch some US college games.
Welcome to the Cairo branch of the Huskies dog pound!

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We we. :p
Just kidding. I'll be completely transparent here.....In regards to Jana El Alfy, I'm like Sgt. Schultz on Hogan's Heros......."I know nothing."
I look forward to reading about her and learning her history and background. I like the clips I've seen here today. She's a HUGE get for us. Geno and his staff did it again. Four "ballers" that should come in and help us right away next year. I Geno I trust. :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Really a lovely tweet from her club, Ahly (one of the leading sports clubs in Egypt btw).

Roughly translated:
"She will join the source of legends.
UConn, which our young star Jana El Alfy has just joined, is the all-time leading NCAA champion with 11 titles and has produced many legends, such as Sue Bird, Breanna Stewart and Diana Taurasi."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think her contributions will outweigh losing a year of eligibility, but I think it would be GREAT if she was able to come and start training and working out with the team.
About January.... I was very happy to see Jana on the UCONN team. My thought is would
an early semester if UCONN practices be appropriate for smoothing out the rough edges
that would make her and the team better next fall? I just rewatched some of the 2022
FIBA U 18 Women's African Championships (from Madagascar). Jana did well, but there
is a HUGE stylistic difference between African and the USA College scene. The Jewel will
need some polishing (IMO). Welcome, Jana!

Reaction Score
And Coach FINALLY listened to me ( that’s a joke…really…)
Not only a top flight fearsome foresome of new talent, but also lengthening the bench and guarding against the injury bug.
We lose two top players at seasons end, reducing our roster from 12 to 10.
This infusion of talent brings it up to 14 uber talented players, which will represent a blending of new faces and experienced veterans.
PLUS one seat open, for a possible late term recruit or portal addition.
Masterfully done.

Reaction Score
She is too short. If her finger tips cannot touch the top of the rim while she is standing, she does not have the height.:)Good to see that she is aboard, but, honestly, we need big, wide, over 6feet 7inches who clears the floor on rebounds and just make layups like crazy.
:):):):):)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
About January.... I was very happy to see Jana on the UCONN team. My thought is would
an early semester if UCONN practices be appropriate for smoothing out the rough edges
that would make her and the team better next fall? I just rewatched some of the 2022
FIBA U 18 Women's African Championships (from Madagascar). Jana did well, but there
is a HUGE stylistic difference between African and the USA College scene. The Jewel will
need some polishing (IMO). Welcome, Jana!
All the jewels that come to UCONN will need polishing to optimize their potential at some point. Regarding this particular jewel note Geno's comments on what she is bring to the table.

"I think the skills Jana has are skills that translate well into the way basketball is played today. She's a big kid who's athletic and can play on the perimeter. She can score, she can rebound. She's played a lot of basketball growing up. Her father is the national team coach, so she really understands the game. "

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno goes the international route again. This news should bring joy to the BY.
Ya think?!? :eek: I'd say the mood in the yard today is "festive" to say the least, and we have a right to be. :p Geno signed 4 ballers that can play!! No projects here. All of them should be able to come in and help to some extent right away!!! I'm extremely happy with this class. I look forward to watching them grow, develop and mature during their stay. A skilled BIG that has handles and a motor and plays hard. What's not to like? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In terms of immediate impact, El Alfy may be the most important of the 2023 recruits. KK, Ashlyn and Q are players that are more needed down the road, but can still provide help their first year. The C candidates for next year were Ice and Amari. One we expect to be good in Ice, but she will be recovering from injury, and Amari has shown nothing thus far, making her a big question mark even as a limited minutes backup C.

It would be a shame if in Paige and Azzi's first and maybe last year playing healthy together, one position was a weak link in their championship pursuit. It wasn't a huge one, but having to rely on Amari for starter or backup minutes next year until she proves something, could have been the most unsettling factor heading into next year.

Now we add another player to the mix, that even as a raw freshmen, can probably raise the floor and the ceiling for that position. If Amari doesn't make a major move upward, she won't have to play at all. Without El Alfy it is possible Geno would have had to use her far more than he wanted to.

Yes the lack of experience is still a factor, and Ice and Jana should be much better players later in their careers, but at least now we can throw two talented players at the position and not have to rely on a big question mark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom