Jalen Gaffney Transferring | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Jalen Gaffney Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, the kid likes attending the school and is using basketball as a vehicle to get a diploma. Call me a dreamer.
Does he have a Twitter account where he might have expressed his feelings about being on the team? Or, maybe a Facebook account where he talks about college and the team.

These days, most players give their thoughts about a lot of things on Twitter and on Facebook.

Wonder why Borges or Anthony haven't interviewed him. His loyalty to the program is commendable.

Maybe he is close to the players(those who remain) and likes the camaraderie of the experience.

IDK.

Reaction Score
I disagree he will start st 95% of the non power conferences ( PS my list of top conferences is probably top 10-12 of the 35 Div 1. ) 50% of the top ones.
The BY tends to be a bit more elitist then me.
That kid has a bunch of talent for the right coach. TSam started for Penn State. Marginal a better decision maker but he couldn’t shoot a lick.
Agree and a little then some. I think there are quite a few coaches out there, and some who recruited him heavily in his original recruitment, that think more highly of Gaffneys talents on the court, than the Boneyard sofa experts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Agree and a little then some. I think there are quite a few coaches out there, and some who recruited him heavily in his original recruitment, that think more highly of Gaffneys talents on the court, than the Boneyard sofa experts.
Wait, The Boneyard has sofa experts? I may need to start a 90 minute sofa thread.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think there are quite a few coaches out there, and some who recruited him heavily in his original recruitment, that think more highly of Gaffneys talents on the court, than the Boneyard sofa experts.
Boneyarders have the advantage of watching play for the last 3 years since his original recruitment. I would think they know better.

Reaction Score
Boneyarders have the advantage of watching play for the last 3 years since his original recruitment. I would think they know better.
Oh yeah, right. Boneyarders know better after watching a highly recruited kid play sparingly for three years for a coach who just had almost all of his guards and a key forward enter the transfer portal. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, right. Boneyarders know better after watching a highly recruited kid play sparingly for three years for coach who just had almost all of his guards and a key forward enter the transfer portal. :rolleyes:
Gaffney did not play sparingly, he logged hundreds of minutes each of the 3 seasons. He had plenty of chances to prove himself and outside of a good performance here and there, it never worked out. I'm hoping he lands somewhere and takes advantage of a fresh start.

Reaction Score
Gaffney did not play sparingly, he logged hundreds of minutes each of the 3 seasons. He had plenty of chances to prove himself and outside of a good performance here and there, it never worked out. I'm hoping he lands somewhere and takes advantage of a fresh start.
How many times did Diggins play? How many times did Gaffney start this year or last? How come Floyd left? How come Akok left? Something’s rotten in Denmark.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, right. Boneyarders know better after watching a highly recruited kid play sparingly for three years for a coach who just had almost all of his guards and a key forward enter the transfer portal. :rolleyes:
I may not agree with, but can at least understand, the folks that are concerned about the transfers of Floyd, Diggins, and Akok, but Gaffney? I'm not sure if you're personally connected to Gaffney in some way, but he got ample opportunity here (probably more than he should have) and just could not get out of his own way. I hope he gets his confidence back at his next stop and kills it, but if we had started next season with Gaffney looking at meaningful minutes off the bench, that would have been a huge failure of Hurley as a coach. And in no way do I blame Gaffney for not wanting to be glued to the bench his senior year.

Reaction Score
How many times did Diggins play? How many times did Gaffney start this year or last? How come Floyd left? How come Akok left? Something’s rotten in Denmark.

Attachments

• D30580BD-70CB-4F56-B374-4FA67EF5622A.jpeg
    D30580BD-70CB-4F56-B374-4FA67EF5622A.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 90

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don’t know about Denmark. But I don’t have any doubts about this forum.

Reaction Score

They left because they are not good enough to play at UConn. Diggins, Gaffney and Akok were horrendous this year and Floyd is afraid of competition.

Reaction Score
Let's not pretend like Calhoun didn't lose players to portal. While I was at UConn from 05-09 Calhoun lost the following players to the portal. What a !@#$ show!!!

4* Marcus Johnson after he lost playing time to Dyson
3* Rob Garrison after he lost playing time to Austrie
4* Doug Wiggins due to off the court issues
3* Ben Eaves
5* Curtis Kelly after he lost playing time to 3* Gavin Edwards
3* Scottie Haralson
5* Ater Majok
4* Darius Smith
4* Jamal Coombs McDaniel
3* Jamal Trice

Reaction Score
Let's not pretend like Calhoun didn't lose players to portal. While I was at UConn from 05-09 Calhoun lost the following players to the portal. What a !@#$ show!!!

3* Ben Eaves
3* Scottie Haralson
5* Ater Majok
4* Darius Smith
4* Jamal Coombs McDaniel
3* Jamal Trice
Been saying it for a while now. This is the Boneyard. The facts don't matter when it doesn't support a narrative. Most on here believe whatever it is they want to.

Reaction Score

Gaffney was awful the last 2 years and because of that his minutes dwindled as they should have. If you happen to see anything different new glasses or a new sport to watch is the suggestion!

Reaction Score

3* Ben Eaves
3* Scottie Haralson
5* Ater Majok
4* Darius Smith
4* Jamal Coombs McDaniel
3* Jamal Trice
you might want to take this one down....

People won't have an argument anymore....

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

3* Ben Eaves
3* Scottie Haralson
5* Ater Majok
4* Darius Smith
4* Jamal Coombs McDaniel
3* Jamal Trice

Coombs-McDaniel was on the 2011 team? Smith, Majok, and Trice were freshmen on the '09-'10 team and Majok went into the NBA draft, not the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Coombs-McDaniel was on the 2011 team?

Good call. He was part of 2009-10 recruiting class so I added him. I think he left after we won the championship, I think.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Good call. He was part of 2009-10 recruiting class so I added him. I think he left after we won the championship, I think.

Yeah he did transfer but it was a few years later.

Reaction Score
Interesting that as soon as you see you are losing this debate on Gaffney you go right to Diggins, Floyd and Akok... although each situation is unique unto its own. Proof positive you are on the wrong side on Gaffney, no matter how many immaterial points you want to make to try and "bolster" your argument.

Before I go any further, because I am loathe to disparage anyone who has played for us, let alone a young man who came here and put in blood, sweat and tears for 3 years as an upstanding member of this team. I 100% hope that Gaffney goes somewhere and has the type of senior year that Josh Carlton just had as a post grad transfer at Houston. I truly mean that. Furthermore, I am by no means a blind Hurley sycophant.

But for you to post here Jalen Gaffney got shafted by this coaching staff is not only nonsensical, it is non-factual. Do you actually watch the games?

FACT: Jalen was a net negative the overwhelming percentage of the time he was on the court, particularly in high pressure situations. It is the main reason why Hurley had to play Cole more (particularly in the 2nd half of games) then he wanted to.
FACT: If he had worked at improving his defense, he still could have been a valuable member of this team... but his defense was below average, to the point that Hurley didn't feel confident having him on the court at the end of games, despite his decent free throw shooting numbers.
FACT: His statistics all went DOWN this year from Sophomore year. So that is 100% Hurley's fault? Sorry, no.
Sophomore #'s: 41% shooting, 36% from 3-pt., 6.1 ppg, 1.5 apg, 1.5 rpg
Junior #'s: 34.5% shooting, 29.5% from 3-pt., 4.0 ppg, 2.0 apg, 1.5 rpg
Dig a little deeper and this is what you find, which is most telling: his best 4 statistical games this year were against: Central Connecticut, Coppin State, LIU and Grambling. This highlights that he is best suited playing at that level.
Here are his stats this year in 19 regular season Big East games: 30% shooting, 20% from 3-pt., 2.3 ppg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 rpg.
and 3 post season games (he played 16 cumulative minutes) 0 points, 1 assist, 0 rebounds, 1 steal.

Under the crucible of playing against higher level Division 1 competition, he wasn't good enough.

This narrative that losing Jalen Gaffney is such a big black mark against Hurley is... not supported by the facts of his 3 years here, particularly this last one. The truth is he became unplayable. You want to blame Hurley for this? Fine. But Jalen was given plenty of opportunity to prove he could play at this level, and more often than not he did not positively influence the game for us when he was on the court against good competition.

But you go ahead with dying on this hill... no matter how much the actual statistics (and his actual overall in-game play) do not support your stance.

Unfortunately, this play from the end of the Battle For Atlantis game best encapsulates Jalen's time at UConn:

✂️ Jalen Gaffney missed 3 against Michigan St.

Reaction Score
Interesting that as soon as you see you are losing this debate on Gaffney you go right to Diggins, Floyd and Akok... although each situation is unique unto its own. Proof positive you are on the wrong side on Gaffney, no matter how many immaterial points you want to make to try and "bolster" your argument.

Before I go any further, because I am loathe to disparage anyone who has played for us, let alone a young man who came here and put in blood, sweat and tears for 3 years as an upstanding member of this team. I 100% hope that Gaffney goes somewhere and has the type of senior year that Josh Carlton just had as a post grad transfer at Houston. I truly mean that. Furthermore, I am by no means a blind Hurley sycophant.

But for you to post here Jalen Gaffney got shafted by this coaching staff is not only nonsensical, it is non-factual. Do you actually watch the games?

FACT: Jalen was a net negative the overwhelming percentage of the time he was on the court, particularly in high pressure situations. It is the main reason why Hurley had to play Cole more (particularly in the 2nd half of games) then he wanted to.
FACT: If he had worked at improving his defense, he still could have been a valuable member of this team... but his defense was below average, to the point that Hurley didn't feel confident having him on the court at the end of games, despite his decent free throw shooting numbers.
FACT: His statistics all went DOWN this year from Sophomore year. So that is 100% Hurley's fault? Sorry, no.
Sophomore #'s: 41% shooting, 36% from 3-pt., 6.1 ppg, 1.5 apg, 1.5 rpg
Junior #'s: 34.5% shooting, 29.5% from 3-pt., 4.0 ppg, 2.0 apg, 1.5 rpg
Dig a little deeper and this is what you find, which is most telling: his best 4 statistical games this year were against: Central Connecticut, Coppin State, LIU and Grambling. This highlights that he is best suited playing at that level.
Here are his stats this year in 19 regular season Big East games: 30% shooting, 20% from 3-pt., 2.3 ppg, 1.5 apg, 1.0 rpg.
and 3 post season games (he played 16 cumulative minutes) 0 points, 1 assist, 0 rebounds, 1 steal.

Under the crucible of playing against higher level Division 1 competition, he wasn't good enough.

This narrative that losing Jalen Gaffney is such a big black mark against Hurley is... not supported by the facts of his 3 years here, particularly this last one. The truth is he became unplayable. You want to blame Hurley for this? Fine. But Jalen was given plenty of opportunity to prove he could play at this level, and more often than not he did not positively influence the game for us when he was on the court against good competition.

But you go ahead with dying on this hill... no matter how much the actual statistics (and his actual overall in-game play) do not support your stance.

Unfortunately, this play from the end of the Battle For Atlantis game best encapsulates Jalen's time at UConn:

✂️ Jalen Gaffney missed 3 against Michigan St.
Let's also remember that Gaffney was Hurley's first recruit to commit to UConn. I'm sure Hurley "reached" a bit to get someone in who had the mental demeanor, ability, and long term potential of a strong team contributor. Gaffney always seemed to be a bridge over troubled water.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer