It's the offense. | The Boneyard

It's the offense.

Reaction Score
In the past four games the offense has scored four touchdowns.

In the past two games the offense has thrown three pick sixes and had a fumble run back for a touchdown. Four touchdowns for our oppnents.

The defense has problems to be sure. But college football is a game where all the rules favor the offense and scoring. Yet our offense has trouble finding the end zone even when they are the five yard line. The offense averages 16 points game. Only three teams are worse in all college football. Our defense would gave to be in the top ten in D1 to even have a chance to achieve .500 record.

Besides given the rules, it's easier to fix the offense. Even with the same defense, a marginally competent offense would make a difference in our won/loss record

Reaction Score
The mind boggling thing is when Charlton is still trying to establish the run/handing off the ball or throwing no gain sideline passes 3 times in a row even when he gets down 3+ scores. It's gutless and unwatchable. Just ask the student section at the Rent, who refused to waste another minute of their Saturdays, ever since he refused to have any urgency trying to score after halftime vs. Duke.

I get the burn down the clock thing, but why? To make the fans suffer through such blatant offensive ineptness/ instead of opening it up like everyone else in CFB. What so Mora can look better losing by 30 instead of 50? I'm done w/ season TIX after 25+ years with this ridiculous strategy of trying to win low scoring games.

Earth to Mora your an INDY with no conference to win anyway. Your a "running team" my ass. (sure like the 25 att for 31 yds vs. GA St in the 1st half)....The least you can do is try to make it fun, instead of these grind it out snooze fests you seem obsessed with.....SMH !

Reaction Score
The announcers in the last game seemed to be impressed with all the motion and formations Charlton used. Maybe, but the plays they ran made no sense to me.
We have 3 backs who run well straight ahead and between the tackles. I would run there and play actions off of that. Be under center on almost every play. Let 64 manhandle and blow em off the ball.
Instead we run those zone reads that attack the edge. At best they take a long time to develop before the back can cut it up (Rosa vs NC State). At worst (almost every other play), we get caught in the backfield.
What do I know, but sometimes simple football is all it takes.

Reaction Score
The mind boggling thing is when Charlton is still trying to establish the run/handing off the ball or throwing no gain sideline passes 3 times in a row even when he gets down 3+ scores. It's gutless and unwatchable. Just ask the student section at the Rent, who refused to waste another minute of their Saturdays, ever since he refused to have any urgency trying to score after halftime vs. Duke.

I get the burn down the clock thing, but why? To make the fans suffer through such blatant offensive ineptness/ instead of opening it up like everyone else in CFB. What so Mora can look better losing by 30 instead of 50? I'm done w/ season TIX after 25+ years with this ridiculous strategy of trying to win low scoring games.

Earth to Mora your an INDY with no conference to win anyway. Your a "running team" my ass. (sure like the 25 att for 31 yds vs. GA St in the 1st half)....The least you can do is try to make it fun, instead of these grind it out snooze fests you seem obsessed with.....SMH !
I agree. It's easy to agree with everything said above. It's like we run plays that would more than likely work at the FCS level, but definitely not up here. They're untimely play calls....for US and NOT the opposing team's defense. And we seem to do it a ton once we get a penalty on 2nd & long and/or 3rd & long. It's like we've already seceded the possession. We're not fooling anybody...but ourselves...
I still like Charlton a lot. He's gotta re-evaluate how to manage games in game, not before. Opposing teams show ZERO respect for our offense... We've got a few more tricks then running wide until we find a whole to cut up field. That play call actually works...at the high school level against inferior competition on the regular...not up here though.
And, for God's sake, find out what we got on the bench I'm live game action. I think you find put more when you put a kid out there, who's listed on the depth and give him a legit opportunity (mental toughness...a kid has the opportunityto cease rhe moment here). I'd do it at all positions...especially for a team that has only 1 win this late in the season....just sayin.

Reaction Score

In the past two games the offense has thrown three pick sixes and had a fumble run back for a touchdown. Four touchdowns for our oppnents.

The defense has problems to be sure. But college football is a game where all the rules favor the offense and scoring. Yet our offense has trouble finding the end zone even when they are the five yard line. The offense averages 16 points game. Only three teams are worse in all college football. Our defense would gave to be in the top ten in D1 to even have a chance to achieve .500 record.

Besides given the rules, it's easier to fix the offense. Even with the same defense, a marginally competent offense would make a difference in our won/loss record
Spot on brother... That's the thi g. It's not just our D missing tackles on the back end. I think we see a little more of that because of who our coach is. JM is a defense guy. Let's of background recruit noise back there going right now. Needs to be more on O. Gotta make it happen this time on O. Doesn't matter what position(s) either. We need more field leadership out there. Too complacent accepting only being coached and not actually being a coach on the field as well. Hard to see any firy guts out there. There are a few, but I'd like to see more, especially at QB....LEAD! It may not be that, but it looks that way.

Reaction Score

And this is why we need a new OC. Period.

Reaction Score

If we had Michigan's Oline, I get trying to just run the ball down their throats. Teams are stacking the box against them and they're still picking up 5 yards per carry. We do not have that Oline. The Oline, although has shown some bright spots, has been below average and honestly one of the biggest dissapointments on the team this year. A "running team" is fine if it is consistently working. But for us, everyone knows the ball is going to Rosa or Edwards the majority of the time and they're trying to force Roberson to beat them with his arm. Unfortunately, Charlton seems to not understand this concept and just tries to dink and dunk to the sidelines which get blown up almost every time.

Being a run first team is fine, but being a run first, second, third and punt team is not going win games and puts unjust pressure on strain on the defense.

Reaction Score
If we had Michigan's Oline, I get trying to just run the ball down their throats. Teams are stacking the box against them and they're still picking up 5 yards per carry. We do not have that Oline. The Oline, although has shown some bright spots, has been below average and honestly one of the biggest dissapointments on the team this year. A "running team" is fine if it is consistently working. But for us, everyone knows the ball is going to Rosa or Edwards the majority of the time and they're trying to force Roberson to beat them with his arm. Unfortunately, Charlton seems to not understand this concept and just tries to dink and dunk to the sidelines which get blown up almost every time.

Being a run first team is fine, but being a run first, second, third and punt team is not going win games and puts unjust pressure on strain on the defense.
I keep reading comments like these, but we've thrown plenty. Where do we rank in FBS in dropped passes? I bet it's pretty high and this doesn't take into account how many of those drops are momentum killers that lead to having to punt the ball away.

Charlton may not be great but he is not near the top of things wrong with this team/program. But its easier to say we need another OC than to figure out how the heck we can get some real playmakers here for the passing game.

Every team we play beat our guys for long gainers after the catch. Our guys not so much.

The overall team speed has to get much, much better.

Reaction Score
I keep reading comments like these, but we've thrown plenty. Where do we rank in FBS in dropped passes? I bet it's pretty high and this doesn't take into account how many of those drops are momentum killers that lead to having to punt the ball away.

Charlton may not be great but he is not near the top of things wrong with this team/program. But its easier to say we need another OC than to figure out how the heck we can get some real playmakers here for the passing game.

Every team we play beat our guys for long gainers after the catch. Our guys not so much.

I'm kinda with @DoctorWho85 as well though...because of the simple fact that we run plays that everybody (opposing team, the fans in the stands, the fans watching on TV) sees coming... that's the most frustrating part.

Reaction Score
I'm kinda with @DoctorWho85 as well though...because of the simple fact that we run plays that everybody (opposing team, the fans in the stands, the fans watching on TV) sees coming... that's the most frustrating part.
If anything we've run too many trick plays. Some have been well designed and timed well and we end up with a dropped pass. All i have to do is look at our opponents abilities to take short passes and gash us vs what we do vs opposing defenses. We have 2 playmakers in the passing game Joly and Ross. The transfers have at best been inconsistent at least one, downright ineffective.

If they get rid of Charlton I'm not gonna cry a river, but without increased productivity from either guys redshirtting or newcomers, don't expect the new guy to be a savior. We are good enough to lose several close games cause we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Reaction Score
The one most noticeable thing is that our players are never on their toes, primed and waiting to attack--on either side of the ball. On offense we're constantly looking back to the sidelines to see where we should line up. There's no hop in our step. No dynamic forward lean. We're passive, we're unsure of ourselves. It's sad.

Reaction Score

Charlton is absolutely a top issue. There’s no reason to be scoring 14 points against a team that let up like 40 to URI. Yes lack of talent is a problem but I’d put big money on the coaches having lost the locker room.

Reaction Score
If anything we've run too many trick plays. Some have been well designed and timed well and we end up with a dropped pass. All i have to do is look at our opponents abilities to take short passes and gash us vs what we do vs opposing defenses. We have 2 playmakers in the passing game Joly and Ross. The transfers have at best been inconsistent at least one, downright ineffective.

If they get rid of Charlton I'm not gonna cry a river, but without increased productivity from either guys redshirtting or newcomers, don't expect the new guy to be a savior. We are good enough to lose several close games cause we shoot ourselves in the foot.
Like I said, it feels like Charlton constantly puts the offense in position to fail than succeed. He reminds of GDL where he's forcing his offense on the team instead of trying to adjust to the stregnths

Reaction Score
The one most noticeable thing is that our players are never on their toes, primed and waiting to attack--on either side of the ball. On offense we're constantly looking back to the sidelines to see where we should line up. There's no hop in our step. No dynamic forward lean. We're passive, we're unsure of ourselves. It's sad.
I think you're spot on with this... which, kinda lines up with one of my comments in another thread... lack of leadership on the field.. We're not playing like we're ready...

Reaction Score
I think the offense is a big problem, but my analysis is different than Pal's.

First, Roberson is not a great passer. If you have a QB who is not a great passer, then he better be able to run and he just doesn't. Why? Is it the offense? Is it his injury? I don't know, but in college, unless you have a stud passer, the QB needs to run. Last year, UConn's QBs ran for 370 yards. This year, they have run for 86 yards. That is ~ 20 yards per game (so far), but more important, it keeps the defense honest and some of those runs last year lead to first downs to keep drives moving.

Loss of offensive playmakers. UConn lost Carter, Marion, and Turner at the end of last season due to the portal and Burns to graduation. Then, they lost Brewton and Houston to the portal this year. I'm not sure why all of them left, but Mora needs to figure out the reason and correct it the best he can. And, Rosa got hurt this season leaving just 2 scholarship RBs. The portal replacements for the losses weren't adequate and UConn really lacks playmakers.

Dropped passes. Early in the season, UConn had way too many drive killing dropped passes. I guess you can put some of the blame on the coaches, but most has to rest with the players.

Play calling. I don't think the play calling leads to sustainable drives. We know we don't have many high end skill players, so we need to scheme to get players open. Get into 3rd and shorts. And, in my opinion, there is too much motion that doesn't seem to fool the defense as they know Roberson isn't really a threat to run.

Reaction Score
I think the offense is a big problem, but my analysis is different than Pal's.

First, Roberson is not a great passer. If you have a QB who is not a great passer, then he better be able to run and he just doesn't. Why? Is it the offense? Is it his injury? I don't know, but in college, unless you have a stud passer, the QB needs to run. Last year, UConn's QBs ran for 370 yards. This year, they have run for 86 yards. That is ~ 20 yards per game (so far), but more important, it keeps the defense honest and some of those runs last year lead to first downs to keep drives moving.

Loss of offensive playmakers. UConn lost Carter, Marion, and Turner at the end of last season due to the portal and Burns to graduation. Then, they lost Brewton and Houston to the portal this year. I'm not sure why all of them left, but Mora needs to figure out the reason and correct it the best he can. And, Rosa got hurt this season leaving just 2 scholarship RBs. The portal replacements for the losses weren't adequate and UConn really lacks playmakers.

Dropped passes. Early in the season, UConn had way too many drive killing dropped passes. I guess you can put some of the blame on the coaches, but most has to rest with the players.

Play calling. I don't think the play calling leads to sustainable drives. We know we don't have many high end skill players, so we need to scheme to get players open. Get into 3rd and shorts. And, in my opinion, there is too much motion that doesn't seem to fool the defense as they know Roberson isn't really a threat to run.
I agree with this post 100 percent.

Reaction Score
George DeLeone used to get deservedly killed for incessant runs up the middle. Charlton's utterly predictable first down short side runs are equally infuriating.

Reaction Score
Loss of offensive playmakers. UConn lost Carter, Marion, and Turner at the end of last season due to the portal and Burns to graduation. Then, they lost Brewton and Houston to the portal this year.

It really only left one scholarship RB as Edwards was a DB.

And three of the guys who left, Turner, Brewton and Houston were three of our fastest offensive players

Reaction Score
All great posts here. Been saying all of this for a decade and a half - and read ever rebuttal, every excuse, every "their young" or "wait till he has his players". In the end it's the offense as was said at the start. Get someone who knows, really values, teaches and . . . will stubbornly stick to becoming the Wash State of the late Mike Leach.

Reaction Score
All great posts here. Been saying all of this for a decade and a half - and read ever rebuttal, every excuse, every "their young" or "wait till he has his players". In the end it's the offense as was said at the start. Get someone who knows, really values, teaches and . . . will stubbornly stick to becoming the Wash State of the late Mike Leach.
100% ......we're "little Indy Uconn" ( Mora's quote ), with no championships to play for...well fine then Jim. How about focusing on opening up the offense and make it fun FB for us fans by trying to become that ^^^^.... IMHO, if you're not playing to put up 40+ a game as an Indy, you ain't trying !

Maybe Dave Benedict can even get JM a Husky blue field to play on ;) ( Boise St used to be fun to watch too) or even cherry pick another guy like Lashlee to help in the process. As long he doesn't sabotage it like Edsall did or PP when he demoted Joe Moorhead to QB coach, SMH !

Reaction Score
The announcers in the last game seemed to be impressed with all the motion and formations Charlton used. Maybe, but the plays they ran made no sense to me.
We have 3 backs who run well straight ahead and between the tackles. I would run there and play actions off of that. Be under center on almost every play. Let 64 manhandle and blow em off the ball.
Instead we run those zone reads that attack the edge. At best they take a long time to develop before the back can cut it up (Rosa vs NC State). At worst (almost every other play), we get caught in the backfield.
What do I know, but sometimes simple football is all it takes.
Our OC thinks we have the speed to run a spread offense and the talent to put players in one on one situations. We are slow as death and do the opposite of what we should. You hit it on the head.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you're going to try to do that, you really need to control the line of scrimmage. We've seen some RE1 teams that everybody in the stadium knew we're going to run between the tackles, yet they were able to do it consistently. It's tough to be a run first team when you 1) don't consistently control the line of scrimmage, 2) had your two best backs abandon the team, and 3) are running with your number three and number four backs and at least one of them isn't at full strength.

Reaction Score
If you're going to try to do that, you really need to control the line of scrimmage. We've seen some RE1 teams that everybody in the stadium knew we're going to run between the tackles, yet they were able to do it consistently. It's tough to be a run first team when you 1) don't consistently control the line of scrimmage, 2) had your two best backs abandon the team, and 3) are running with your number three and number four backs and at least one of them isn't at full strength.
Spot on on 1) don't consistently control the line of scrimmage...

Reaction Score
I had to laugh when I saw this post as my son and I had a spirited discussion about which is worse, our offense or defense.

It is a tough one. I thought I was winning the argument that the offense was worse but then my son brought up some good points about the defense as well.

It is like arguing who is better McCartney or Lennon? Or McEnroe/Borg, both people can win and lose this one!

It is also the chicken/egg argument - if the offense was better, then they wouldn’t put so much pressure on the Defense.

This all being said, there were many times our offense looked decent and the defense let the other team steam down the field for a score. For me, it’s the 2nd half performance of the Defense that makes this a good discussion. They play decent, even great at sometimes (JMU) in 1st Quarter but then the wheels start to come off.

My complaint all season is why is it other teams make adjustments based what they see in game and figure sh#t out, while we don’t? The lack of in-game adjustments has been part of our downfall as well as missed tackles, blocks and dropped passes.

Reaction Score
I had to laugh when I saw this post as my son and I had a spirited discussion about which is worse, our offense or defense.

It is a tough one. I thought I was winning the argument that the offense was worse but then my son brought up some good points about the defense as well.

It is like arguing who is better McCartney or Lennon? Or McEnroe/Borg, both people can win and lose this one!

It is also the chicken/egg argument - if the offense was better, then they wouldn’t put so much pressure on the Defense.

This all being said, there were many times our offense looked decent and the defense let the other team steam down the field for a score. For me, it’s the 2nd half performance of the Defense that makes this a good discussion. They play decent, even great at sometimes (JMU) in 1st Quarter but then the wheels start to come off.

My complaint all season is why is it other teams make adjustments based what they see in game and figure sh#t out, while we don’t? The lack of in-game adjustments has been part of our downfall as well as missed tackles, blocks and dropped passes.
Good argument about our D.. but our O just makes way more mistakes, which limit their T.O.P. ... The other team's already scored... Our O isn't too good at playing from behind... IMO.. you can't go 2 or 3 3 and outs in a rown and you know your D will give up points... CFB is designed for offenses to score anyways (somebody else mentioned this in another thread.. I forget who)..... You gotta be able to score points.. move the football... HECK, MOVE THE CHAINS! (at the very least)... We're really bad maintaining they type of consistency... really bad...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom