It's that time again. The "Who starts?" debate. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It's that time again. The "Who starts?" debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
DD- u think she could play the 3 effectively? She has a quick first step, she can pull up or drain a three(which I think she will do more of this season) she seams like a better 4/5 to me than a 3/4. Having said that, she is my personal favorite, And I think she can do almost anything !
I certainly do think she can play the three. After watching her play on the U19 team, where she showed her handle, her passing ability and her surprising quickness, no doubt that she can play the three.

So can Stewart, so when they are on the floor with a center (Dolson or Stokes), you won't be able to tell who is playing what...lol.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We may not agree ("The vets had already won many rings by the time Hondo joined the team" ...

Isn't 5 rings enough to be called several?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Breanna not starting? Insane!

Insane?
Yes!

But maybe just insane enought to work!
(best delivered in that voice used when the movie actor proposes a crazy idea. Curiously, in the movies, the crazier the idea, the more likely it is to work. a 1 in ten shot? Maybe will happen. 1 in a hundred, very likely to happy. 1 in a million? Count on it, dead certain. No wonder people today was so math illiterate, they pick up their knowledge of probilities from the movies).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Here we are again. I think anyone that thinks Geno is not starting Stewart and playing her 25-30 minutes every game is nuts.

Now, if YOU would have Stewart come off the bench? Still crazy, but that is only my opinion. And it's an interesting idea. I wouldn't do it, but with the talent on the team, it doesn't matter.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My final comment.

When I started this thread, my intent was to make the case for someone to be ideally suited to have the greatest impact as "sixth man," based primarily on her versatility; i.e., skill at playing two or more positions. So that's how I was drawn to Stewie.

A lot of stimulating discussion has followed.

Somehow an unfortunate comparison of Larry Bird crept in. I say unfortunate because Larry Bird's role was to be arguably the greatest forward to ever play in the NBA. His game (played at the immortal level) was unsuitable for the role played by John Havlicek, who defined the "sixth man" role. So this was akin to comparing Cy Young to Babe Ruth or Sandy Koufax to Joe DiMaggio.

My fellow Boneyarders most certainly made a compelling case for wcbb's best current player to start. Fair enough. But as most did so, I believe they were too quick to assign Morgan to the bench, possibly because (injuries) that's where she spent last season. My view is that OK, Stewie will start. And so will Morgan.

So, then, who will be most likely first off the bench? My WAG is. . .

Moriah.

Reaction Score
My view is that OK, Stewie will start. And so will Morgan.

I don't see Tuck starting.

For one, that puts KML at the 2, which is not her best position I'd say. As we saw last year, she can be an effective rebounder. And though I havent played close attention, she has struck me as an adequate but not great ball handler.

And it puts more pressure on Hartley. As a senior, I'd hope she could handle it, but even Geno admitted that he had "simplified" Bria's responsibilities down the stretch. Moriah's presence helped that.

Also starting Tuck leaves 3 guards on the bench and just 1 front line.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Geno used 8 different starting line ups last year. Changes were due mostly to minor injuries. Kelly Faris was the only player to start all 39 games. She and Doty (32 starts) are gone so starting spots are available. Stewie started only 14 games, and in fact was the perfect 6th man kib described. IMO Geno will start her all the time if healthy. She just creates too many problems for other defenses. KML and Stef each started 38 of 39 games and only sat when sick or injured. There is the starting front line. Tuck could start on every other team in the country and Geno may use her as a "spot" starter 10-15 times in place of KML, Stewie or Stef. Most likely against weaker teams or if someone has a minor injury. Stokes is still a bit of an unknown. She is the heir apparent to Stef, so look for the staff to use her a lot, test her progress. Maybe as a starter on occasion, but not in big games. Still, Geno has 5 options for 3 positions and the match ups are nightmares for opponents.

Faris and Doty were guards, so that is where spots are available. When healthy, Hartley was a starter until the NCAA tournament. IMO she came off the bench as a "spark plug" and so Doty could start. She should start every game if healthy, and she certainly looked 100% this summer in Russia. Banks is still not 100% and Chong is a Freshman, so MoJeff starts if healthy. Once Banks is completely back to form, she could spot start for either Hartley or MoJeff at 1 0r 2. Geno has four guards, three of whom can play either 1 or 2 spots, that provides real flexibility.

While he has not done it much in the past, Geno may even use different starters for the 2nd half. Especially if up by 20-30 pts vs weaker teams. One thing for sure, pretty much any 5 on the floor gives UConn an awesome lineup. Go Huskies..!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I certainly do think she can play the three. After watching her play on the U19 team, where she showed her handle, her passing ability and her surprising quickness, no doubt that she can play the three.

So can Stewart, so when they are on the floor with a center (Dolson or Stokes), you won't be able to tell who is playing what...lol.

Tuck has perhaps the best recognition skills on the team, re: spotting an opening and taking the ball to the rim from the outside. She really is a no-nonsense player. She sees something in the defense and she exploits it without a lot of messing around. And like you said, she has a surprisingly quick first step. Her jumper is good but should get better this year as she gains experience. IMHO, that's the only area where she is lacking compared to the best wing players.

She takes care of the ball very well, too.

Having said all this, she is just as solid--if not more so--posting up as a 4. She is going to be a handful for whoever guards her, because she will take the bigs outside and post the smaller players up with equal skill.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse- but tactically- can you imagine Tuck and a healthy Banks being your first two off the bench and Stokes behind them to spell anyone on the front line- move into the center spot and move the others like interchangeable parts . I will bet Morgan will be nailing the outside shots this year- like she is capable of. Then with her lightning first step off the dribble, It would be like having a Steph Dolson that can take anyone guarding her to the hoop. Stanford can't get to Hartford soon enough for me!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not to beat a dead horse- but tactically- can you imagine Tuck and a healthy Banks being your first two off the bench and Stokes behind them to spell anyone on the front line- move into the center spot and move the others like interchangeable parts . I will bet Morgan will be nailing the outside shots this year- like she is capable of. Then with her lightning first step off the dribble, It would be like having a Steph Dolson that can take anyone guarding her to the hoop. Stanford can't get to Hartford soon enough for me!
That's exactly what most of us are anticipating along with Chong. A plethora of blessings.

Reaction Score
My pedestrian experience with organized ball, leads me to think the 6th man offers a great psychological advantage. In my experience, when the other team subbed in, it was always a relief - it's going to get easier. To have someone like Stewart coming in as the 6th, and thus upgrading the talent level, it can be depressing to the opposition.

Not more depressing than being 20 points behind when #6 is called in.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
My final comment.

When I started this thread, my intent was to make the case for someone to be ideally suited to have the greatest impact as "sixth man," based primarily on her versatility; i.e., skill at playing two or more positions. So that's how I was drawn to Stewie.

A lot of stimulating discussion has followed.

Somehow an unfortunate comparison of Larry Bird crept in. I say unfortunate because Larry Bird's role was to be arguably the greatest forward to ever play in the NBA. His game (played at the immortal level) was unsuitable for the role played by John Havlicek, who defined the "sixth man" role. So this was akin to comparing Cy Young to Babe Ruth or Sandy Koufax to Joe DiMaggio.

My fellow Boneyarders most certainly made a compelling case for wcbb's best current player to start. Fair enough. But as most did so, I believe they were too quick to assign Morgan to the bench, possibly because (injuries) that's where she spent last season. My view is that OK, Stewie will start. And so will Morgan.

So, then, who will be most likely first off the bench? My WAG is. . .

Moriah.

ahem. I meant to say "comparison of Larry Bird v. John Havlicek. . . ." Sorry.

And a reminder, WAG is an acronym for "wild-ass guess." The decsion is Geno's and we all have confidence in him. WAGs remain permissible, I hope.

Reaction Score
OK, so I am crazy and those who would start the game (start, not finish!) with Moriah, Bria, Morgan, Stef or Kaleena on the bench are the smart/sane experts?

I made my case. Make yours.

Final Four 2013.

Reaction Score
Insane?
Yes!

(best delivered in that voice used when the movie actor proposes a crazy idea. Curiously, in the movies, the crazier the idea, the more likely it is to work. a 1 in ten shot? Maybe will happen. 1 in a hundred, very likely to happy. 1 in a million? Count on it, dead certain. No wonder people today was so math illiterate, they pick up their knowledge of probilities from the movies).

Just about anything will work with this team, still insane.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Insane?
Yes!

Your explanation is just crazy enough to make sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom