It's still pretty early, but should we be concerned about our the 2013 recruiting class? | The Boneyard

It's still pretty early, but should we be concerned about our the 2013 recruiting class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was under the impression that a lot of the 2013 class top 100 were already spoken for but according to one list I saw, only about 25% of them have verbally committed. To my knowledge none of them seem to be names that I've heard associated with UConn, though that might not be the case.

It's still early, but the Husky recruiting net doesn't seem that wide as compared to past years and I'm not hearing many who are saying that UConn is one of their top programs. Being listed or even mentioned often doesn't mean that much. I tend to listen more closely to what a recruit says about a program especially when they are interviewed by a non-partial reporter. Recruits will often tell those associated with a program what they want to hear. It's when they mention UConn high to someone not closely connected I begin to take notice.

Should we be concerned? Still seems a tad early. Also, JC and his staff always seem to surprise us. Are there any recruits that any of you have been hearing that are leaning toward UConn or at least legitimately have us in their top 3 to 5?

Just keep in mind that when it comes to recruiting, almost never counts. There's no consolation prize for coming in second. I hope by the fall we have at least 2 solid recruits. So far it doesn't seem like anyone is close to jumping on a Husky offer, but again, it's probably still quite early.

Reaction Score
walk of the ledge ;)
Or do you mean walk away from the ledge? I'm no where near the ledge just yet, though I know I'm not alone when it comes to wondering if all the crap that has been going on with the program is going to have a bigger impact on recruiting as time goes on. JC not making his intentions clear hasn't helped. Few recruits want to commit to a program where they think the Head Coach is not likely to be there when they arrive or soon after. It is what it is, but signs point to a rough recruiting road ahead. I hope I'm wrong and welcome being wrong in this case.

Reaction Score
I'm probably missing some but here's a few top 100 players that listed us recently (per espn). I think we have a decent chance to land 2 of these kids.

Wayne Seldon #20 2013 updated today from 2014 class
Stevie Clark #63
Davon Reed #53
Xavier Rathan Meyes #21
Akoy Agau #47
Dominic Woodson #57

Reaction Score
I'm probably missing some but here's a few top 100 players that listed us recently (per espn). I think we have a decent chance to land 2 of these kids.

Wayne Seldon #20 2013 updated today from 2014 class
Stevie Clark #63
Davon Reed #53
Xavier Rathan Meyes #21
Akoy Agau #47
Dominic Woodson #57
I remember reading snippets on most of the above.

Of these recruits who do you want most and in what order?

Who among that group do you think we have the best shot at?

What are some of our greatest needs? Bigs would obviously be at the very top of that list. I think we need to land a PG since Bazz will be going into his final season and Bazz his third.

A big physical 2G has been a need for sometime and keeps going unmet. That would be a nice addition.

You can never have too many good wings and big wings in that 6-7 to 6-9 range are a luxury that any team D1 or NBA would love to have.

Of course, not all of the above is possible. Do any of the ones on the list meet any of these needs?

Agau fills the need for a big. I don't recall hearing that Woodson was interested in UConn, at 6-9, 265 he's a big 'em. Looks like he's from TX even though he plays in VT.

Selden, Rathan Mayes and Reed have really nice size for a 2G.

Clark is a PG, but would be another smallish one. I would like to see us land a bigger and stronger PG but that seems to have alluded us since landing AJ Price. We didn't do so bad with Kemba, did we?

History tells us that most of the players we land are not even ones that we're talking about at this time of the year. It would be nice to land at least one of them. With the uncertainty of JC's future always in question, a lot of the recruiting rests heavily on the assistants. Seems many of the recruits are impressed with KO. It seems to ultimately come down the the head coach, so let's hope that the staff finds a way to get some of them to visit the school and hopefully some will like what they see.

Reaction Score
Akoy Agau:
"UConn is my dream school. I want to continue playing basketball after college, and I feel they give me a great opportunity of doing so."

http://www.uconnball.com/content/akoy-agau-talks-uconn-offer-410/

Davon Reed:
He said "Historically, UConn has a great program, they won the National Championship two seasons ago and Coach Calhoun is a hall of fame coach. I really like the program."

http://www.uconnball.com/content/catching-up-davon-reed-409/

Stevie Clark:
He might reclassify to 2012 and is strongly considering UConn if he reclassifies. I'm assuming he would still be high on UConn if he stays 2013

Xavier Rathan Mayes:
His dad lives in Connecticut. Here's a quote from him"Coach Ollie said that I have a scholarship and Coach Calhoun told me I had one to UConn and hopefully, one day when I commit it'll be to UConn." "I was actually in Connecticut this weekend with my father," he said, "and we were talking about UConn and that this year makes it 25 years from when he went on his official visit to UConn, so it's something really special to me and even having my dad down in Connecticut is even more special."

http://www.uconnball.com/content/uconn-offers-xavier-rathan-mayes-301/

Reaction Score
I remember reading snippets on most of the above.

Of these recruits who do you want most and in what order?

Who among that group do you think we have the best shot at?

What are some of our greatest needs? Bigs would obviously be at the very top of that list. I think we need to land a PG since Bazz will be going into his final season and Bazz his third.

A big physical 2G has been a need for sometime and keeps going unmet. That would be a nice addition.

You can never have too many good wings and big wings in that 6-7 to 6-9 range are a luxury that any team D1 or NBA would love to have.

Of course, not all of the above is possible. Do any of the ones on the list meet any of these needs?

Agau fills the need for a big. I don't recall hearing that Woodson was interested in UConn, at 6-9, 265 he's a big 'em. Looks like he's from TX even though he plays in VT.

Selden, Rathan Mayes and Reed have really nice size for a 2G.

Clark is a PG, but would be another smallish one. I would like to see us land a bigger and stronger PG but that seems to have alluded us since landing AJ Price. We didn't do so bad with Kemba, did we?

History tells us that most of the players we land are not even ones that we're talking about at this time of the year. It would be nice to land at least one of them. With the uncertainty of JC's future always in question, a lot of the recruiting rests heavily on the assistants. Seems many of the recruits are impressed with KO. It seems to ultimately come down the the head coach, so let's hope that the staff finds a way to get some of them to visit the school and hopefully some will like what they see.

I agree completely about the need for more physical guards to make up for the completely lack of size (Boat, Bazz) in our current backcourt, a 6'3, 6'4 guy who isn't going to get his lunch money taken by players the like of DJO on Marquette.

As far as those 6'7, 6'9 wings, I think we've had enough of those over-sized, under-skilled players over the last 6 years. That sort of player is great if they're really NBA-skilled players (e.g. Melo, Rudy Gay, Durant) and can truly dominate the college game. But if they're not NBA-skilled, they're a huge liability since they don't bring to the table what you really need to be getting out of 3 (Sticks, Roscoe). In the college game, you need a 3 who can handle the ball, pass, and shoot from the perimeter. If your "freak athlete" 6'8 wing can't do those things, you're really playing short-handed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom